Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

What I like about Mobafire

Creator: Coxamus May 11, 2013 9:22pm
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
lifebaka
<Member>
lifebaka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 14, 2013 9:58am | Report
Satella wrote:

A lot of the stuff on mobafire is good, but sometimes there is bad stuff that is mixed in with the good stuff, and basically, people don't want bad stuff. Some people have weird tastes and don't mind the bad stuff, but being a community-made set of things and stuff, the bad stuff brewing with the good stuff leaves a bad taste in many people's mouths. The more people that see the bad stuff, the bigger it gets, so sometimes bad stuff gets really huge and covers up all the good stuff that's now sunken below it.

Actually, I don't think this is true. There's a lot of bad stuff on MOBAFire and much less good stuff. Intuitively, this is what we expect; there's more bad stuff than good stuff in everything. Think about music, books, or TV shows, for example. There are quite a few bad to mediocre of all of these and only a few that stand out as great. And these have controls in place to prevent a lot of the really terrible things from ever getting recorded, published, or piloted in the first place. Without that sort of front-loaded system in place to remove the worst ****, MOBAFire ends up with a lot of ****.

So, since there's a bunch of bad stuff (and since we're definitely not going to change the openness that gives us so much more bad stuff), what we have to do is "curate" our stuff. That is, to identify the good stuff among all the bad stuff, to make sure that good stuff remains visible on top of all the bad stuff, and to sort through new stuff that comes in to find any new good stuff. And this is where we start to fail.

There's no way to get a whole lot of people together and have them all agree on everything. There isn't. So there's no way to get a whole bunch of people together and have them all agree on whether or not the stuff that we have on MOBAFire is good or bad. What works at Diamond I might not work at Bronze V, and what works at Bronze V often doesn't work at Diamond I, for instance, without even getting into nonstandard-but-viable ways of playing champions. We can get groups of people, however, to agree on more general things, such as that MOBAFire should be open and that MOBAFire should be awesome. (You know, the stuff that I'm pretty sure everyone here agrees on.)

What I've seen work on other content-driven online communities is to sit down and decide on a set of rules to judge content by. Not everyone actually has to agree with what, exactly, the rules are (and it's extremely unlikely that everyone ever will), but it's possible to get the vast majority of a community to agree that it's better to stick to the rules rather than ignore them. The parts that refuse to stick to the rules aren't too difficult to deal with, generally, and having rules sets up a different group of problems, but... It should be a step forward.
OTGBionicArm wrote: Armored wimminz = badass.

My posts may be long. If this bothers you, don't read them.
Coxamus
<Member>
Coxamus's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 16, 2013 6:11pm | Report

I never sad throatslasher was a bad guy. Just said he got banned. Got into an argument with a bronze elo mod over game mechanics and rather then admit defeat said mod hit the ban button. As for the actual site, its more active.

What I like

1. Feedback, I see many threads devoted to community members helping others with their guides.

2. A vote/comment feature, which is amazing btw.

3. Actual comments. As in I see new guides go up, and whether bad or good they get attention, people actually comment on them, and if their lacking, somebody points out what needs to be fixed or what is altogether wrong.

4. Active community, I havent been on often due to work but the fact that this thread is now 8 pages long even if most of it is off topic is still awesome to me. Means an actively posting community.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide