Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Why are there no AP Poppy Guides?

Creator: BlackIceT August 29, 2012 2:16pm
1 2
BlackIceT
<Member>
BlackIceT's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 29, 2012 2:16pm | Report
I have played Poppy for a total of 4 games probably and did decently well in all 4 games with guides on this website with the pretty much standard Philosopher's Stone, Sheen etc. beginning. After actually taking the time to analyze Poppy's skills I have a big question. Why are there no AP Poppy guides?

Every single ability deals base damage + a percentage of AP. Not one skill increases with a percentage of AD. Is there a reason why there are no guides? Is AP Poppy worse than hybrid/AD Poppy? As a noob Poppy player I am really wondering this.

If AP Poppy is very viable then maybe I will take the time to learn her to the fullest and make a guide for AP but I want to hear what other people have to say about AP Poppy first.

My #1 Guides:

Check out my new Cassiopeia Guide: Cassiopeia - The Venomous Monarch

Thank you Jhoijhoi for my stamps!
Anastasios
<Member>
Anastasios's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 29, 2012 2:19pm | Report
My friend plays only AP poppy. You can pretty much 1-shot anyone late game with Lich Bane.

But then again, he also plays AP MF and AD Brand, so i don't know if he can be trusted for serious gameplay.

Many thanks to MissMaw, LaCorpse, Xiron, Arcana3 and Joxuu for making me sigs!
wRAthoFVuLK
<Altruistic Artist>
wRAthoFVuLK's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 29, 2012 2:31pm | Report
*oooh ooh ooh!* pick me I know!

coz no one made one yet

>______>

It is totally viable, and so is AD; AD is more sustained damage, but still quite a bit of burst with your Q, and AP is more burst, instakill one person, but then you deal a bit less sustained damage than with AD. Both are really good and up to preference, I'd say AP is a bit more used though.

Generally you get proc items such as Gunblade and Deathfire, and then ult the enemy carry if you are able to take their damage (if not you can still ult the support or tank tho), but the actives work with the increased damage so your deathfire alone will like half health the enemy carry, or more. The actives + your E (hopefully stun on a wall) and your Q will one shot any AP or AD carry, and you take reduced damage from them thanks to your super duper OP passive.

Ya.

Thanks to TRUeLM, Plastictree, Scrax, Xiaowiriamu, foggy12, JahGFX, jhoijhoi, msrobinson, JEFFY40HANDS, Nyoike, MissMaw, and me :) for the sigs!
JEFFY40HANDS
<Altruistic Artist>
JEFFY40HANDS's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 29, 2012 2:32pm | Report
AP Poppy used to be popular, but on SR there are so few places where her combo can actually work...So my guess is there are few to no AP Poppy guides because 1. she isn't popular anymore. 2. because she can't farm for ****. 3. She's easily outclassed by many AP champs, not in terms of damage, but in terms of poke/range/mobility.

Gragas would be the closest to Poppy in terms of situation, but his Body Slam+Drunken Rage makes his laning so much safer. Not to mention, barrel roll has huge range and awesome AoE farm potential.

All this means: Poppy is less likely to hit her anti-carry status in a normal duration game (20-30 minutes). Her best bet is to hold out until ~40 minutes. Even then though she is "easily" zoned which makes her farm potential low. Even with GP10s she can't get to where she needs to be.

Just my opinion as to why you don't see any guides for AP Poppy.
wRAthoFVuLK
<Altruistic Artist>
wRAthoFVuLK's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 29, 2012 2:38pm | Report
^oh yea she is so hard to farm with when you don't have Q up, and if you keep using Q it chunks your mana :S

That's the main issue you don't see poppy -- she really doesn't work anywhere. Her jungle is small and her gank opportunities are really minimal (if someone is near a wall, and you come from river, before you can stun them they will have enough time to just walk away usually), obviously mid would work like most assassins, bad before 6, get bullied a lot, and then at 6 pretty nasty (tho with her wouldn't be as good as, say, Akali, since she needs a wall to really do most of her damage), obviously she can't really supplement an AD (you could run AD top and get support+poppy bot, but that is really situational and you will get super bullied until you are 6, won't be able to really CS at all); obviously she is not a support; top lane is her best place, but AP she can't really compete, and AD she still is outclassed by almost every other top lane because she has no ranged harass, really weak burst until she gets items, and sucks at farming, epecially under tower.

If you overcome all of these ****ty obstacles, though, she is super good :D

Thanks to TRUeLM, Plastictree, Scrax, Xiaowiriamu, foggy12, JahGFX, jhoijhoi, msrobinson, JEFFY40HANDS, Nyoike, MissMaw, and me :) for the sigs!
Khazem
<King of the Hill>
Khazem's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 29, 2012 2:45pm | Report
go mid

you're welcome
BlackIceT
<Member>
BlackIceT's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 29, 2012 6:43pm | Report
So it pretty much comes down to the fact that on Summoner's Rift Poppy it less useful because of the lack of walls in lane in comparison to the Twisted Treeline. Also the fact that she has no ranged poke.

However even though she is hard to farm with if you could master that and maybe get 2 GP/10 items or at least Kage's and make it to her high damage part of the game then you would be okay?

I think that she kinda needs to be re-worked a little bit though to be more popular. I mean if there are no guides because she isn't popular then that's kind of a ****ty reason but the other reasons are pretty good lol

My #1 Guides:

Check out my new Cassiopeia Guide: Cassiopeia - The Venomous Monarch

Thank you Jhoijhoi for my stamps!
Nighthawk
<Veteran>
Nighthawk's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 29, 2012 6:46pm | Report
I'M MAKING ONE.

EVERYONE ELSE GTFO, MY GUIDE :D

Syther Blade
<Member>