Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Elitism in MobaFire Ranks

Creator: FatelBlade August 23, 2016 6:53pm
1 2 3
FatelBlade
<Member>
FatelBlade's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 23, 2016 6:53pm | Report
I believe there is a problem with elitism in MOBAFire. You have normal users, editors, scouts, and veterans. I will list the duties of each role as according got MOBAFire.

Editors: The Editors are responsible for keeping MOBAFire's database on the cutting edge. This is no small task and requires a very high level of organization, attention to detail and patience. If you want to see just how hard they work, check out the Database Revision History and be thoroughly impressed!

Scouts: MOBAFire's Scouts are responsible for finding the greatest guides and making sure they get their chance to shine! They are your knights in shining armor, tirelessly scouring and reviewing the thousands upon thousands of guides on MOBAFire!

Veterans: The Veterans are our community representatives. They take all of your concerns and ideas and make sure we hear them loud and clear. The Veterans are our most active and prolific members, each of them has earned their seat in the Veteran's Hall in their own way, and we are grateful to have them here with us!

Looking at this, it would be assumed that, for example, scouts are chosen because they have shown to be knowledgeable about different builds. Looking at it, that is not how it works! Getting to a +rep threshold makes someone an editor/scout. Suddenly you have people at a level/responsibility that they may not be suited for.

Should a silver tier players be responsible for deciding which guides are better than others? It takes a higher tier player to decide which may have a better build, or better explanation.

You also have editors who do nothing. If they wish to keep their role as editor, perhaps a quota should be applied every BLANK interval to determine who is committed to make a difference, instead of having ~40 people that sit their with their thumbs in their ***es.

I won't speak on the vets, because while I do have strong feelings on the matter, is it not objective and not worth discussion.

What are your thoughts on the matter?
Thanks to jhoijhoi for the awesome PsiGuard-loving sig!
Mooninites
<Member>
Mooninites's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 23, 2016 7:21pm | Report
More than half the people that have ranks on this site don't do anything, I really don't know why people aren't removed from their ranks if they are inactive for years or just don't do their roles. I understand a lot are symbollic. Case and point. If you can't even bother to log on and comment or do anything for over 3 years then I have no idea why you are still a "community representative"
Thanks for the Signature MissMaw!
Elusive Ferret
<Crowd Favorite>
Elusive Ferret's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 24, 2016 6:03am | Report
Mooninites wrote:
More than half the people that have ranks on this site don't do anything, I really don't know why people aren't removed from their ranks if they are inactive for years or just don't do their roles. I understand a lot are symbollic. Case and point. If you can't even bother to log on and comment or do anything for over 3 years then I have no idea why you are still a "community representative"
While I don't think it's really my place to comment about the issue, you make a very, very good point.
I can't take back the words I never said
Jovy
<Admin>
Jovy's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 24, 2016 7:06am | Report
There's only like 10 active vets right now but being a vet is just a "thank you", as I see it, from the site for being a nice active member or having been one at some point. Sure it's pointless to have 40 "community representatives", but in the end it's really not hurting anyone.

I don't think any or most of the vets/scouts agree with the scout system as it is right now, but there's nothing we can do to change that. There's been talk over the years and suggestions and stuff and of course people have brought up that rank should come into play, but that's yet to be implemented, if it's going to be at all. As for low rank people scouting guides left and right, I can't say that that's ever really happened, that I know. But there's not been a lot of scout points being given out by higher elos either, which is a problem I suppose.

Plus even if scouts were being chosen based on their elo, you should know that vets and mods and admins also have all the powers that a scout has. So you'd have to seperate all of those if you wanted to have scouts be the only ones in charge of scouting guides, and I don't think scouts really do scout guides. Having taken a look, I only see 2 scouts (of the 30 or so) who are sort of active (but not really) (nicknamemy and sirell) so if it were only up to the scouts, there wouldn't be any scout points given out at all.

As for editors, I don't think it's fair for them to have to do the editing, they didn't ask to be made editors and they shouldn't have to be forced to update the site now if they want to keep the rank.
TheSilverDust
<Member>
TheSilverDust's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 24, 2016 8:55am | Report
Mooninites wrote:

Thanks OwenTheAwesomer for the sig!
FatelBlade
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 24, 2016 3:44pm | Report
Quoted:
There's only like 10 active vets right now but being a vet is just a "thank you", as I see it, from the site for being a nice active member or having been one at some point. Sure it's pointless to have 40 "community representatives", but in the end it's really not hurting anyone.

It hurts the image of the site if someone new comes and looks at the contributors section, and realize these people aren't still active. It looks unprofessional/bloated and may even disillusion a potential future vet from even trying. MOBAFire literally states that veterans are the most active and prolific members. If they aren't active then either change the description or remove their veteran status.

Quoted:
As for editors, I don't think it's fair for them to have to do the editing, they didn't ask to be made editors and they shouldn't have to be forced to update the site now if they want to keep the rank.

Then why not remove the editor status? I don't think it should be mandatory, and this leads to the large issue of the fact that the classification system is outdated. As you have stated, veterans/mods/admins have scout/editing power, and while I do not understand the coding that is involved, would it be difficult to edit the system? (this is a serious question for anyone that has any insight)

Regarding the scout system, it appears that its a broken system that should be disabled if this is the case and either reworked or removed. Having broken systems up and running, as well as promoting people that aren't active anymore isn't a good look for the site, and something needs to change. Maybe honorary roles should be included for reaching certain +rep levels (other than the labels that aren't very clear), but I do not have insdier information and cannot assume that nothing is being worked on.
Jovy
<Admin>
Jovy's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 24, 2016 4:46pm | Report
FatelBlade wrote:

It hurts the image of the site if someone new comes and looks at the contributors section, and realize these people aren't still active. It looks unprofessional/bloated and may even disillusion a potential future vet from even trying. MOBAFire literally states that veterans are the most active and prolific members. If they aren't active then either change the description or remove their veteran status.

I don't personally think so, but I do agree that the description of vets is wrong. Like I said I think of it as a thank you; I don't think of myself or other vets as "communtity representatives", we're the same as other members but have coloured names. EDIT This is why I think it's wrong that vets can scout guides, I believe that should be left only to scouts, and scouts should be manually promoted if they're high elo and willing to actually do their "job".

As far as the other stuff you said goes, I can't change anything but maybe you could forward your suggestions to someone higher up if you want?

As "an insider" I can tell you that, as far as scouts go, there have been lots of discussions and many threads filled with suggestions/rants/ideas but things haven't really changed too much from say 2-3 years ago and they haven't changed in the way people have wanted.

thank you jhoijhoi for the signature <3
FatelBlade
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 24, 2016 4:50pm | Report
How do I reach someone higher up? I was trying top find a way and other than sending Matt a PM, there isn't really a way to escalate this. It is why I posted it on this forum.

As for the other points, I see where you're coming from, and it makes sense. Something has to be done, however, to clarify the points.
IceCreamy
<Veteran>
IceCreamy's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 24, 2016 4:53pm | Report
I do remember that this has been discussed before, I don't have any references but iirc something like this was the outcome:

The issues you bring up are very valid; the Editor rank is pretty useless (only +- 10 people make Database edits regularly, or have done so in the past, and barely any of them are Editors or were so at the time they did) and could very well be removed.

The Scout rank is really not something that should be decided by +rep -
FatelBlade wrote:
Should a silver tier players be responsible for deciding which guides are better than others? It takes a higher tier player to decide which may have a better build, or better explanation.
is very true imo.

I'll leave the other ranks out of the discussion since I think they're in a good spot (Veteran by +rep and a backcheck, Moderator and Admin per invite).

The current system works really well because there's never any discussion - once you've proven to be helpful (aka reached a certain +rep threshold) you will be promoted. There's no "omg person x doesn't like me so I can't reach a certain role" or "I'm Diamond 3 and want to be a Scout, is that rank high enough?".
The last sentence really raises two problems:
1. Who will decide who can be a Scout?
- Admins? Moderators and Admins? Veterans too? Current Scouts? What would be a high enough majority of voting %? What do we do with people who are currently Scout and were to be demoted?
2. Which in game rank is high enough for someone to become a Scout?
- Platinum? Diamond? Diamond 1? Master? Challenger? Should this person have a certain +rep count as well, to prove they are active and helpful on the website?

Now I don't claim I have any good answers to any of these questions, but I can tell you in advance that there always will be someone to disagree with whatever decision will be reached, if any. These people will feel neglected, get angry, leave the website altogether... not something any of us want.

Concluding; This is something that has been discussed more often and is quite difficult to solve, for reasons mentioned above.

My personal preferences:
- Anyone with a rank should log in and make a post/do Database work/Scout a guide/do Moderating work at least once every 3 months (if it doesn't happen, they are automatically demoted but will get their rank back once they meet the requirements again)
- Remove Editor rank; editing the Database is no longer automatically available for Scouts, but will remain to be so for Veterans and Moderators
- Rework Scout rank; remove all current Scouts; Scouting is no longer automatically available for Veterans/Moderators; all users Diamond or above with at least 50 +rep are invited to be a Scout
- Reduce required +rep to become Veteran to 150 (it's super difficult to reach 200, ever since the max 10 +rep per person, barely any people have been promoted); all people between 150 and 200 +rep are recommended to become a Veteran

I do understand those changes will
1) make current Editors and Scouts pretty unhappy
2) take quite some time to realize, if the development team is assigned to do so that is

On the bright side:
1) Scouted guides are less likely to be subpar
2) The list of people with a rank would be thinned out

Sorry for the long-winded post, but I hope I've explained all of my opinions well.

DuffTime wrote:
ok ok plz carry me omg
i was only waiting for you to ask

Temzilla wrote:
Too hot to be icecream.

Luther3000 wrote:
He looks like a hair gel advert on legs

Toshabi wrote:
Icecreamy, with hair as slick and smooth as the ocean waves of Cocobana
Jovy
<Admin>
Jovy's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 24, 2016 5:00pm | Report
^ Another thing that has been suggested many times is that you should have to comment on a guide if you up or downscout it, rather than it be anonymous. I think nearly everyone agreed on this, but it's yet to be implemented.

@FatelBlade, you've come to the right place. Someone higher up will probably see this thread but if it somehow doesn't garner any attention and you still want to bring your comments forward, I suggest messaging an Admin. Not necessarily Matt, perhaps Mowen or Psiguard.

by jhoijhoi
1 2 3

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide