Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's first Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! 🏆
's Forum Avatar

Elitism in MobaFire Ranks

Creator: FatelBlade August 23, 2016 6:53pm
1 2 3
Latest Legend
<Member>
Latest Legend's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 30, 2016 7:20am | Report
EVERYBODY GETS AN ELEVENTH REP!

:^)
********'s a pretty good fertilizer
mastrer1000
<Editor>
mastrer1000's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 30, 2016 7:34am | Report
hi
Thanks to IPodPulse for this <3^
Mooninites
<Member>
Mooninites's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 30, 2016 7:25pm | Report
I'm reporting literally all of you for abusing the system
Thanks for the Signature MissMaw!
Vapora Dark
<Perfectionist>
Vapora Dark's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 30, 2016 7:44pm | Report
Mooninites wrote:
I'm reporting literally all of you for abusing the system

+Rep'd
Sir Wellington
<Member>
Sir Wellington's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 30, 2016 9:50pm | Report
Wayne3100 wrote:
However, while some of the community members felt that only a few small changes were necessary in order to achieve this goal, we believe that the changes necessary to make the system more useful/reliable (elo-based selection of scouts, for example) are the exact same changes that make the system unsustainable for a site like MOBAFire, since they clash directly with some of our core principles.

Could you describe those core principles/how they clash with that line of logic (diamond rated scouts)? I think I agree with what you're saying here; it's just that I don't know MOBAfire's core principles off the top of my head and don't want to dig around the forums to look them up :P

Check out my manly Xin Zhao guide for manly men!
Sir Wellington
<Member>
Sir Wellington's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 30, 2016 10:31pm | Report
Couple thoughts on the scouting system:

1. First of all, high elo is not a perfect standard. There's a difference between raw skill and acquired game knowledge, both of which can help players climb the ladder. There's also the players who are one trick ponies or niche champion savants who got high ranks purely from playing those champions over and over. I'm not trying to criticize these players for how they got their ratings (I'm a OTP myself); my question is how are these types of players qualified to be experts on how to make a great guide? On the other hand, those who spent hours and hours learning the game inside and out to become better at it and can communicate that knowledge effectively are vastly more useful to this site than those who are simply naturally good at the game.

2. Instead of high elo, how about this standard: To achieve the rank of scout, you must have a guide of your own that displays your merit and credibility. This leaves room for specifics, like ratings/views and whatnot (maybe have existing scouts review your guide to see if you're worthy). This hits the relevant aspects of what a scout should be - someone who not only understands how League works and the best strategies/builds/comps for it, but can also put that knowledge into a creative, effective, logical format and communicate it well in a guide. In other words, you should prove that you can write an excellent guide yourself before being able to scout other people's guides.

3. Since it seems like almost everyone has lost faith in the scouting system and the possibility of removing it completely is apparently on the table, I really gotta say - shouldn't we care about selling our best product? I understand and agree that it's a flawed system, but the original point was to pick the cream of the crop and put it on the front page of MOBAfire so we can tell the world how awesome it is. This is vital. If we're not promoting our best product, the market will leave MOBAfire and go to any of our competitors, of which there are many. Please don't just remove the scouting system!

Check out my manly Xin Zhao guide for manly men!
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 30, 2016 11:54pm | Report
^That's a neat idea I haven't heard before. Basing the scouting system off the state of a person's guide.
guide writing tips 'n tricksashes to ashesfancy a sig?

♡ sig by Tauricus2017 ♡
Jovy
<Admin>
Jovy's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 31, 2016 6:41am | Report
2. Instead of high elo, how about this standard: To achieve the rank of scout, you must have a guide of your own that displays your merit and credibility. This leaves room for specifics, like ratings/views and whatnot (maybe have existing scouts review your guide to see if you're worthy). This hits the relevant aspects of what a scout should be - someone who not only understands how League works and the best strategies/builds/comps for it, but can also put that knowledge into a creative, effective, logical format and communicate it well in a guide. In other words, you should prove that you can write an excellent guide yourself before being able to scout other people's guides.
I don't think or remember anyone suggesting this before, and I don't know why cuz it's so obvious haha great idea imo.

thank you jhoijhoi for the signature <3
Re4XN
<Member>
Re4XN's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 31, 2016 12:54pm | Report
Quoted:
I don't think or remember anyone suggesting this before, and I don't know why cuz it's so obvious haha great idea imo.

Well, all that remains to do now is sit and wait a couple years until this gets implemented :V
Jovy
<Admin>
Jovy's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 31, 2016 12:59pm | Report

perma ban inc
1 2 3

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide