Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

I have found troll votes on the site, can I get...

Creator: Matt January 27, 2011 1:21pm

This thread is locked

PLEASE NOTE: This thread has been locked by the moderators. You cannot reply to it.

1 2 3 4 5 6
Xandriah
<Member>
Xandriah's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 21, 2011 4:10pm | Report

Yes, yes. This suggestion has been brought up before. But when it comes down to it, that means that the ones who are determining the ratings on this site are the ones who moderate the votes - probably the admins, moderators, and veterans. If that happens, MOBAFire becomes a site where the top builds are those that the veterans have decided should be there.

In addition, there would be a lot more issues with deciding whether a vote is valid or not as opposed to just letting it slide.

Voting would be less accurate, because every good guide would literally be hanging around the same 95% area.

Troll votes separate the great guides from the good ones. A great guide needs to make a user think "Wow, this really deserves a +1" instead of "This is a good guide". A great guide needs to give users that extra push to comment and vote up the guide. That is what lets the top guides get where they are today, despite troll votes.

So yeah, I can understand the frustration that you're experiencing with troll votes, but everyone gets them.

Yeah, for sure I get that. Again it just sucks when those good guides get overlooked because its the 208392th guide in a mess of 494549903489. Some of them look like they've never even been opened. Just frustration, like you said.

But negative votes are still negative votes, just the ones who are clearly given by someone whos responding just to be a ****er would make the difference. If that makes any sense?

signature courtesy of scrax
wRAthoFVuLK
<Altruistic Artist>
wRAthoFVuLK's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 21, 2011 4:11pm | Report

Unfortunately, there are some cases where multiple trolls will hit a guide before upvotes can get there, but we have to move on. It sucks, but there isn't much else that can be done.

There is something called reposting :)

Also, Jebus, when you see this, which you inevitably will, get on skype when you can, I have some stuff I need to ask you ^_^

And Matt, if you happen to pass by here :)

Thanks to TRUeLM, Plastictree, Scrax, Xiaowiriamu, foggy12, JahGFX, jhoijhoi, msrobinson, JEFFY40HANDS, Nyoike, MissMaw, and me :) for the sigs!
ShadowReign757
<Member>
ShadowReign757's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 21, 2011 4:56pm | Report
I also sometimes wish votes could be deleted, but that silences a member of the MOBAFire community, and that is just as bad as troll voting. Troll votes, no matter how trolly(is that a word?) they are, play a huge part in where a guide stands, and they sometimes make a guide writer want to improve, so it doesn't happen anymore, although it most likely will.

Retreating?! Hell no, we're just attacking the other direction!

Xandriah
<Member>
Xandriah's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 21, 2011 5:43pm | Report

I also sometimes wish votes could be deleted, but that silences a member of the MOBAFire community, and that is just as bad as troll voting. Troll votes, no matter how trolly(is that a word?) they are, play a huge part in where a guide stands, and they sometimes make a guide writer want to improve, so it doesn't happen anymore, although it most likely will.

I don't mean delete anything negative. I just don't see how troll comments/voting contributes to the site in any way other than an annoyance to readers & writers. Most trolls don't even say something about the build, just stupid generic insults.

signature courtesy of scrax
Jebus McAzn
<Retired Moderator>
Jebus McAzn's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 21, 2011 6:40pm | Report
Voting would be less accurate without troll votes, because every good guide would literally be hanging around the same 95% area.

Troll votes separate the great guides from the good ones. A great guide needs to make a user think "Wow, this really deserves a +1" instead of "This is a good guide". A great guide needs to give users that extra push to comment and vote up the guide. That is what lets the top guides get where they are today, despite troll votes.
DEWO
<Retired Moderator>
DEWO's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 22, 2011 12:48am | Report
I am thinking about locking this thread and asking Matt to move the spam from here leaving only 1st post here.

This is not a request thread or discussion thread about how to get those votes removed.

This is an information thread. NONE votes apart from multiple account DV/comment or obvious spam votes will get removed.

"I like pankakes" comment is as vital as a well descripted comment. You cant get them removed.

Comments containing advertising, same comment spam or same IP voting. Thiese are the most common and only valid "trolls" that could get removed.

You dont want meaningless comments? Remove the comment2vote option from your guide. Simple as that.

You dont want to get any -1 votes? Remove your guide from the site.

You are not the one and only person that got this cruelty on his back. EVERYONE got trolled. No exeptions. You cant filter that.

I have guides with over 700 votes with about 100 Downvotes. And in those 100 downvotes i got ONE well described -1. and 99 of others are "trolls".

Now i ask you guys, to go hunt those ppl in their homes, invade their families becouse they wanted to troll guides.
I simply dont care at all, as long as my guides are helpfull. I wrote this a milion times already, but it is true. If your guide will be good enaugh. it will beat those trolls... Even whole legion of trolls.

Keep your guides up to date, care to answer questions, improve them as you want and so so on and it will be rewarded with good votes. Its not that this site is 99% filled with trolls.

Admins are taking any steps nessesary to promote new guides enaugh to ppl accualy notice them.
We are watching ppl that abuse the site and troll here.

End of story.

/rage
Did i help you? Click that +Rep

Thanks to jhoijhoi for the sig!
Adonikam
<Veteran>
Adonikam's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 22, 2011 1:10am | Report
I'm with DEWO, I'm sick of the QQ from people who think they deserve 100% scored guide. Please remove comments from this topic.
Australians, the best gamers in the world combined with the worst ping.
Jebus McAzn
<Retired Moderator>
Jebus McAzn's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 22, 2011 12:56pm | Report
I suppose the comments are useful for anyone else that has the same question - but if it becomes an ongoing problem, I agree that it should be locked.
1 2 3 4 5 6

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide