Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

"Creative Assistance Guides" section...

Creator: Infectious Lepar April 11, 2012 4:09pm
Would you be in favor of a new Guides section designed for how-to's, image/sig creation, and review shops
Matt
<Administrator>
Matt's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 12, 2012 5:24am | Report
Yeah, totally understand on not wanting to lose your guide's history :) We haven't given a lot of thought really, about the few "off topic" guides out there. It's only a problem if they start showing up on the listings around the site as top guides. We do need to add these types of guides to the wiki though, as that is where new users are going to be looking, and it works better for group contribution.

I don't want to encourage more of these non-guide guides at the moment, unless we do come up with some system to handle it properly. The problem is, it's using a system that was entirely designed for something else. The chapters aspect is handy, but otherwise everything else in the system is not applicable to these types of guides. The scoring, browsing, organizing, listings, builds, etc etc...

I'd almost rather use the wiki for it. It has chapters and discussion just like guides, it has revisions, it doesn't have the builds and all the other auxiliary stuff that doesn't apply to these types of guides and makes it awkward. It would require some functionality to allow us to lock certain articles to just the author, but that's a lot better in my eyes than trying to hack up the strategy guides system to handle signature and review shops.
Canoas
<Member>
Canoas's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 12, 2012 5:58am | Report
@matt and jhoijhoi
You can just create a topic with the full guide and link it at the end of the wiki page. That way no information or hard work is lost and everything is put into the right place.

The "I will review your guide" guide doesn't fit in the guide section either. It should just be a topic in the "Build & Guide Discussion", that's the correct place for it and it even says so in the description.
Infectious Lepar
<Member>
Infectious Lepar's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 12, 2012 6:10am | Report
It's nice to have the strong interaction between Admins and users. Bouncing ideas off each-other and whatnot.

If it is a nightmare to do what I am suggesting, then don't worry yourself about it too much.

I do like the idea of cleaning up the forums and renaming some things, that deals with more problems, more effectively.
One thing that would be nice would be some sort of alert system when someone has left a request in the forums(relating to review shops). Sort of like the message system a simple (1) or (2) in "Forums" would be a nice little addition(probably not as little as I would like it to be). Even if that means creating a "Forums" tab in user profiles. So just like the "my builds" tab you would have a "my threads" tab.
Obviously these don't exactly match the topic, but they tie into the want for a formal review shop set-up.

I'm realizing I should e simply gone with "yes" and "no" in the poll section. Realistically we have a 2/1 ratio in favor of yes, but it looks all goofy thanks to the added answers.
If I have helped you in some way, or you enjoyed my work some "Rep" would be nice ;)
Matt
<Administrator>
Matt's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 12, 2012 6:25am | Report
We are going to be doing some work on profiles soon to add a number of improvements for tracking your own content and content you're interested in. I like the idea of expanding on this to alert you to replies and updates to your watched/favorited content. Will definitely put some thought into that!

So any suggestions on a new name for the Build & Guides Discussion forum? Guide Help, Guide Reviews, Guide Help & Reviews. Needs to be clear that it's not theory-crafting. Then we can just move the theory-crafting threads out and enforce that going forward, keeping all the theory-crafting stuff under the Theory Crafting forum.

I also agree with the suggestion of cleaning up stickies and adding a thread to each topic to explain what does and doesn't go there. Will do that after we've sorted out the Builds & Guides Discussion topic.
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 12, 2012 6:26am | Report
Matt: Well, I've merged a lot of the coding threads and my guide into one BBCode article, I don't think I've forgotten anything, but with so much available coding techniques I probably have. I've considered what Canoas suggested and it just didn't work for the wiki (my guide constantly refers to the bad build+guide I wrote as an example) and I've rewritten certain parts to make more sense and linked the full guide at the end and the top. Hopefully people will check out both resources ^^

Lepar: Indeed. It's nice to know others beyond those in the ranks are trying to make MobaFire a better place :)

EDIT: The new forum name would be best as Guide Help & Reviews - this makes the most sense and is pretty clear. When you update the FAQ page and create a "What goes here" thread for the new topic, some rules about reviewing and whatever could go up, which would be very useful.
guide writing tips 'n tricksashes to ashesfancy a sig?

♡ sig by thenamelessbard ♡
Matt
<Administrator>
Matt's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 12, 2012 6:29am | Report
@jhoijhoi, yeah, people will probably land on the wiki first, and then the link off to your article for more info will help them further :) Seems like a good way to go.
Mowen
<Retired Admin>
Mowen's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 12, 2012 2:22pm | Report
Guide Help and Reviews sounds good. The main problem I see is the old problem where everyone just tries to link their guide and that's it. I think "Official Stickies" would help people see the FAQ READ BEFORE POSTING topics so that people will know they have to ask for specific help with their guide and not just spam.

So I think having 2 official stickies for each subforum would be good. One being "MOBAFire FAQ" and one being "Subforum Rules and FAQ" or something like that. I was going to suggest this a while ago but I Think we should have only 1 sticky in the Support section and that be the FAQ. Right now it's cluttered so no one can find anything in the stickies, which is becoming a growing problem with some subforums.

Matt, the problem right now with the non-guide guide's are that guides meant to help people with "guide making" are cluttering up the general strategy section, making it hard for new players looking for LoL guides to find useful information.

Guides are a lot easier to keep track of than forum posts, so maybe once you get the post tracking rolling more people can revert back to using forum posts for those kinds of things. If we deem the forum post extremely helpful we can sticky it in a subforum. Jhoijhoi originally moved her review shop to guide format because she ran out of characters for 1 forum topic though. >.> IMO listing all previous reviews is not necessary, but it IS her review shop. XD

I feel like the Wiki should not be used for things like sig/review shops etc. They should be only related to LoL / Mobafire directly. I'm not very familiar with Wikis, but I've always felt like putting in only information that's not subjective is best, or noting that the information is subjective.
Thanks to Minho for my sig!
Infectious Lepar
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 12, 2012 3:35pm | Report
I was thinking for the name of the section it depends on what we are going with. If it is only for the purpose of finding a place for review shops "Guide Editing" would be sufficient. However, if you make it a more general section/forum location, then you are going to need a more inclusive name.
review shops: "Guide Editing/Reviewing"
media shops: "Creative Sharing" (definitely something that should stay in the forums)
This leaves open the options for shops created for the sole purpose of:
Sigs
Larger Images - Such as Guide related Images posted in the first chapter of guides or Maping images for jungle routes, ganking guides, or ward locations.
Headers
Separation Lines
Video Examples - If someone needs video examples of Abilities being used correctly, they have a place to go to request it.

I think it is important to identify what section(s) we are working with before we dive into naming.

@Jai
Aw, thanks. Everyone has to start getting into things somewhere.

@Matt
off-topic: Have you guys thought about adding a search bar? I've heard it isn't to hard for programmers to do, but as I am not one of those people I don't know how time consuming it would be. I DO know that it has become rather expected for sites to have them, and they make site navigation a breeze.
I still don't know why Riot hasn't added one to their main site yet...
So... is it something we can expect to see in the near future?
If I have helped you in some way, or you enjoyed my work some "Rep" would be nice ;)
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 12, 2012 3:48pm | Report
There is a search bar. At the top of every forum and at the bottom of every page.

Mowen: I never listed the reviews. I listed my verdicts, which were summarized reviews and more often than not, repeat readings after the author had edited their work. My reviews were often 3x times longer than the verdicts and the verdicts were for people to understand where their guide stood in relation to other guides I had read on the same champion.
guide writing tips 'n tricksashes to ashesfancy a sig?

♡ sig by Jovy ♡
Infectious Lepar
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 12, 2012 4:13pm | Report
I was thinking of a more site-wide search bar on the homepage.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide