Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's first Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! 🏆
's Forum Avatar

Request: update the "Add Chapters"...

Creator: Sir Wellington May 31, 2016 10:09pm
Sir Wellington
<Member>
Sir Wellington's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 31, 2016 10:09pm | Report
Hello all,

While the Add Chapters tab is (or was) a nice feature to help beginner guide makers get started, it's very outdated at this point and needs some chapters removed, new chapters added, and others renamed. While it's not necessary (you can just create your own titles), it's misleading and leads new guide writers in the wrong direction. Here's the current list, in the order it appears:

• Introduction
  • Ranked Play
  • Runes
  • Pros / Cons
  • Masteries
  • Creeping / Jungling
  • Items
  • Team Work
  • Skill Sequence
  • Unique Skills
  • Spells
  • Farming
  • Summary

It makes little sense at this point. "Creeping" afaik isn't in the League lexicon, it's a DOTA term. "Unique Skills" is redundant because every champion's skillset is unique by default. Several chapters are out of order - Farming at the end of the guide, Skills sections after the Team Work section, etc.

I'd suggest something based off what the vast majority of top-rated guides have nowadays, which is more logical and intuitive:

• Introduction
  • Pros / Cons
  • Abilities (readers should know the most important, unique part of this champion ASAP)
  • Skill Sequence (logically follows the Abilities section)
  • Summoner Spells
  • Runes
  • Masteries
  • Items
  • Gameplay
  • Teamfighting
  • Warding (DESPERATELY needed)
  • Synergies
  • Matchups
  • Conclusion

FOR JUNGLE GUIDES:
  • Jungle Route / First Clear
  • Ganking
  • Counterjungling
  • Objective Control

One smaller thing (that is an easy fix hopefully) would be to remove the Crystal Scar from the CHOOSE MAP category and to rename the TEAM ROLE list to this:
AP Carry
AD Carry
Tank
Support
Assassin
AP Offtank
AD Offtank
Other
->
->
->
->
->
->
->
->
Mage
Marksman
Tank
Support
Assassin
Juggernaut
Fighter
Other

What are your thoughts? I'd love to hear from the veterans and admins here, since I've only been active for a year or two.

Check out my manly Xin Zhao guide for manly men!
winston gergill
<Member>
winston gergill's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 31, 2016 10:18pm | Report
I'm also fairly new here (approaching a year), and also seem to be following Sir Wellington around as of late (sorry). That said, I really do like this idea. I might also suggest a way to customize the standard Table of Contents, as currently the only thing you can actually change is the splash behind the giant, very orange list of chapters. A way to customize that layout, colors and formatting included, would be awesome. I know you can already make your own, and it's honestly not that hard, but BBcode scares a lot of new writers away and leaves them stuck with the built-in ToC. I also realize making such a system easy-to-use at first glance would take a lot of time.

Just my two cents.
Janna guide | Thanks @ LadyOfClockwork for the sig! :D
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
The_Nameless_Bard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 31, 2016 11:01pm | Report
It's pretty clear that you can name a chapter whatever you want. I figured that out right away when I was new to this site.
Sir Wellington
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 1, 2016 12:46am | Report
It's pretty clear that you can name a chapter whatever you want. I figured that out right away when I was new to this site.

Well of course, but that line of thinking ultimately leads to the question "Why even include an Add Chapters section in the first place?"

The whole point of that section (correct me if I'm wrong) is to give brand new guide writers who are unfamiliar with MOBAfire and/or BBCode a template to start with to give them a sense of direction on what to write about. It doesn't really accomplish that goal anymore, hence the topic.

jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 1, 2016 2:14am | Report
guide writing tips 'n tricksashes to ashesfancy a sig?

♡ sig by thenamelessbard ♡
MrMad2000
<Member>
MrMad2000's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 1, 2016 4:05am | Report
I was thinking about it but never thought it was worth mentioning, but I do agree. It either shouldn't be there or it's in a dire need of an update; the add chapter tab isn't good for new writers in its current state.
I am currently known as Sejwoonapiggle on EUW.
Add me for any queries or questions you have for me!
Check out my stream! I could use the support.
Click here to view my stream!
Wayne3100
<Retired Admin>
Wayne3100's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 1, 2016 5:17am | Report
I made a suggestion in the thread jhoijhoi linked and shared that idea with Mowen/Psiguard, but iirc the plan was to look into a slightly more elaborate fix first to see if that was feasible. I'll ask for the status on that, but it should be clear that we know it needs updating.

As for the renaming the roles, I like the new role names except for Juggernaut, which does not translate into AP Offtank. With that said, I suppose one could argue there doesn't need to be a distinction between AD and AP Offtank in the first place; the game also classifies both as "Fighters", after all. Will bring that up as well :)

Thanks to jhoijhoi for the signature!
Janitsu
<Moderator>
Janitsu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 1, 2016 5:23am | Report
Teamfighting
Warding (DESPERATELY needed)
Synergies
Matchups

I don't think that these are useful in about 60% of cases. Matchups are useless if you can't play the champion as well as the enemy does their, synergies is really useless unless you have someone who almost desperately needs someone to have something ( Yasuo) on their team.

Teamfighting really should be covered in the gameplay and warding is more of a general thing, maybe for support and jungle guides.

Also:

AP Carry > Mage
AD Carry > Marksman
Tank > Tank
Support > Support
Assassin > Assassin

^these are fine

AP Offtank > Not juggernaut, because Skarner, Darius and Garen are juggernauts. Fighter is a more suitable term imo. Or something else.
AD Offtank > Maybe juggernaut maybe a fighter
Other > maybe just other

Thanks to OwenTheAwesomer for the signature =)
Sir Wellington
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 1, 2016 11:31am | Report
jhoijhoi wrote:

Get on my level.

I'm 3 months too slow D:

Janitsu wrote:

Teamfighting really should be covered in the gameplay

That makes sense.

Janitsu wrote:

and warding is more of a general thing, maybe for support and jungle guides.

This I disagree with. While most players in your skill range (diamond+) have good warding habits, the vast majority of players are much less skilled and ward incorrectly and/or rarely, if at all. Just to give you an idea: by midgame, I'm frequently the only player on my team with a pink ward on the map and the only one besides the support with more than one trinket ward, as a top laner. Especially considering the trinket and pink ward changes this past season, warding by each member of the team is equal parts vital and ignored. It deserves its own section.

Wayne3100 wrote:

it should be clear that we know it needs updating.

Awesome! I guess this thread doesn't have much of a point anymore, since jhoijhoi brought it up earlier and the admins have a plan already. Thanks much!

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide