Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account






Or

's Forum Avatar

Sheep Votes, worse then Troll Votes: Downvotes...

Creator: JunSupport March 22, 2011 12:35pm
ShadowReign757
<Member>
ShadowReign757's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Posts:
1237
Joined:
Nov 20th, 2010
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 23, 2011 6:22pm | Report
Adonikam wrote:

ALRIGHT can we get something CLEAR. DOWN-VOTES AREN'T TROLL VOTES. TROLL VOTES ARE AN ATTEMPT TO FLAME OR INDUCE RAGE IN SOMEONE BY BEING A SMART-ARSE. IF SOMEONE DOWNVOTES IT DOESN'T MAKE THEM A TROLL.

/rage

This.

If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.

Trojan995
<Veteran>
Trojan995's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Posts:
2510
Joined:
Oct 4th, 2010
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 23, 2011 6:28pm | Report
This has inspired me to remove the comment-to-vote on my guide. My guide is a guide, not a trophy.

Also, I agree with DEWO. Reducing the dependency the community has on comment-to-vote is best. Forcing a comment-to-vote quit after a certain number of votes would be great, but it'd have to be a relatively low number. Look at the top 10 guides: some of them made it there with under 20 votes.

Can there be some incentive to NOT use comment-to-vote? I'm blanking on ideas right now but if anyone can come up with something, that'd be great.

Also, there's some champions whose top guides are horribly outdated. For instance, the top Nunu guide still has a Zhonya's Ring. Is there any way to make "old guide deterioration"? I'm really sick of it.
Click for one of my awesome builds!
Thanks to Mowen, WrATHofVuLK, and AlexanPT for the signatures! Check out Tristana: The Lane Game, Maokai: The Chu8 Way, and Twisted Fate: Card Games!
JunSupport
<Veteran>
JunSupport's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Posts:
3344
Joined:
Oct 5th, 2010
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 23, 2011 7:20pm | Report
Trojan995 wrote:

This has inspired me to remove the comment-to-vote on my guide. My guide is a guide, not a trophy.

Also, I agree with DEWO. Reducing the dependency the community has on comment-to-vote is best. Forcing a comment-to-vote quit after a certain number of votes would be great, but it'd have to be a relatively low number. Look at the top 10 guides: some of them made it there with under 20 votes.

Can there be some incentive to NOT use comment-to-vote? I'm blanking on ideas right now but if anyone can come up with something, that'd be great.

Also, there's some champions whose top guides are horribly outdated. For instance, the top Nunu guide still has a Zhonya's Ring. Is there any way to make "old guide deterioration"? I'm really sick of it.


There's no real incentive not to use it. Feedback/Comments from upvotes are lovable.
Just a matter of whether or not it's there to be used.

Also, maybe they could implement a system that causes the voters of top ranking, highly-inflated, old guides to be re-evaluated when users log back on.

Like:
"Hello, it's been 6 monthes since you voted on [insert guide name] by [insert author name].
We'd like to take a moment out of your day to have you check your current stance on the guide to ensure it is up to date."


This would only apply to guides at the top 5, or guides with over 150 votes. :)
~ Gentlemen Cho'Gath ~
┌──┐
┴──┴
< ,....,ರೃ>
~ Keeping this sig classy ~

Guides of Mine - Click the... Eh... Come back later

~Undergoing barbaric-Destruction, tasteful-Renovation, and blasphemous-Reconstruction soon™~
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ ┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ)
wRAthoFVuLK
<Altruistic Artist>
wRAthoFVuLK's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Posts:
10852
Joined:
Jan 17th, 2011
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 23, 2011 7:36pm | Report
Adonikam wrote:

ALRIGHT can we get something CLEAR. DOWN-VOTES AREN'T TROLL VOTES. TROLL VOTES ARE AN ATTEMPT TO FLAME OR INDUCE RAGE IN SOMEONE BY BEING A SMART-ARSE. IF SOMEONE DOWNVOTES IT DOESN'T MAKE THEM A TROLL.

/rage


That is why I said troll votes.

like "i like pancakes"

those.

Thanks to TRUeLM, Plastictree, Scrax, Xiaowiriamu, foggy12, JahGFX, jhoijhoi, msrobinson, JEFFY40HANDS, Nyoike, MissMaw, and me :) for the sigs!
CBandicoot
<Member>
CBandicoot's Forum Avatar
Posts:
327
Joined:
Dec 15th, 2010
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 23, 2011 7:46pm | Report
I think the rating system has developed a bit too much. I see no reason for using the comment-to-vote option, except for it being nice for the author. Like said before, it affects the voting behaviour, discouraging people from voting differently than others, or voting at all.

Veteran recommendations do exactly the same. In a psychological way, a recommendation weighs heavier than a thumbs up, giving veterans (appointed by mobafire instead of League of Legends experience?) the ability to use some kind of 'veto' to increase a guide's popularity.

About troll votes: if they are spread across guides evenly, there is no need to counter them, right?

I think a thumbs up and a thumbs down button is the best way to get a representative score for a guide. The comment-to-vote is good only for the author, not for the guide. People will only give feedback when they want to, anyway.
B-Wong
<Member>
B-Wong's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Posts:
5521
Joined:
Jun 14th, 2010
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 23, 2011 7:54pm | Report
CBandicoot wrote:

Veteran recommendations do exactly the same. In a psychological way, a recommendation weighs heavier than a thumbs up, giving veterans (appointed by mobafire instead of League of Legends experience?) the ability to use some kind of 'veto' to increase a guide's popularity.


So you're saying the only people that should be recognized are the high ELO players that visit this site? I think for any sort of true voting/recommendation system based on pure skill and talent you'd probably go to Solomid. We aren't a community of 2000ELO players, but if we were recruited as a Veteran, we at least know something about the game. The recommendation tag does put some sort of mob mentality onto a guide but at the same time, there are plenty of high-rated guide that aren't slapped with a Veteran tag.

Adonikam
<Veteran>
Adonikam's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Posts:
3045
Joined:
Oct 16th, 2010
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 23, 2011 8:03pm | Report
Seriously? Is this what it's come to? I don't like a guide/don't think it should be number 1, and I DV. The next two pages of comments are the author and his mate having the biggest cry EVER.

http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-legends/build/amumu-the-tank-slayer-46190?page=8

JHOIJHOI IS THE BESTEST PERSON IN THE WHOLE WORLD AND THIS SIG IS AMAZING TY <3
Jebus McAzn
<Retired Moderator>
Jebus McAzn's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Posts:
7017
Joined:
Sep 30th, 2010
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 23, 2011 8:19pm | Report
Adonikam wrote:

Seriously? Is this what it's come to? I don't like a guide/don't think it should be number 1, and I DV. The next two pages of comments are the author and his mate having the biggest cry EVER.

http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-legends/build/amumu-the-tank-slayer-46190?page=8

You, Boosh, Trojan, and everyone else that -1ed that approached it in completely the wrong way.

What will the community think of a squad of people going around downvoting all the top guides? Well known, respectable, reputable members at that?

If you're going to DV top guides, at least do it more inconspicuously, not piling on some guy's guide and making him feel terrible. I know how frustrated I'd be if that happened to me.
Adonikam
<Veteran>
Adonikam's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Posts:
3045
Joined:
Oct 16th, 2010
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 23, 2011 8:20pm | Report
I'm not allowed to DV a guide I don't think is good?

JHOIJHOI IS THE BESTEST PERSON IN THE WHOLE WORLD AND THIS SIG IS AMAZING TY <3
Jebus McAzn
<Retired Moderator>
Jebus McAzn's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Posts:
7017
Joined:
Sep 30th, 2010
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 23, 2011 8:38pm | Report
Adonikam wrote:

I'm not allowed to DV a guide I don't think is good?

You're perfectly allowed to. You, Boosh, Trojan, and whoever are allowed to group -1 someone's guide.

I just don't feel comfortable with it - call me a *****, but that's just not honorable to me. ;_;

But something is just telling me that what you're doing is justified, and it is, so don't take it as if you're doing anything wrong. I would just have greatly preferred that this be handled a different way - don't ask me how, I don't know.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide