Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

How about helping your team?

Creator: TheJohn August 2, 2011 5:23pm
1 2
TheJohn
<Editor>
TheJohn's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 2, 2011 5:23pm | Report
NOTE: I wrote my story, but if you want to skip it, I'll tell when it ends.

I saw that only a few people play as support. I think it's because when someone plays a MOBA, he thinks that the game is all about killing and winning (or losing sometimes, it's part of the game). But maybe you have a hidden talent and you don't know.

I'm sure many people avoid playing as Karma, Sona, Soraka and Janna because all they do is heal. And that's not the truth though. Killing people sure is nice, you get strong, however you'll not be able to kill anyone every time.

When I started playing LoL, I loved to play as Ashe and Yi because they are... you know, they destroy things. But, one day, I played with my friend who got Sona. It was so awesome, I've never seen a match that a team got so few deaths. I insta-bought Sona when I got 3150 IP and I loved her.

End of the story

Now, I play ranked matches as Sona and feel that I was useful. I'm not the top killer (but I've already got 20+ kill as Sona xD), but just healing my team and making them alive is so important that turns the tide.

If you have any interest on playing as support, I recommend Sona and Soraka.
Luther3000
<Sharpshooter>
Luther3000's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 2, 2011 5:46pm | Report
Yep, supports are generally underrated by newer (or not so great) players. Suffice it to say there is a reason supports are used almost every game in ranked, and certainly in every competetive game.

Also, because I'm a picky bastard, Janna doesn't really heal much at all, only on her ult :P
TheJohn
<Editor>
TheJohn's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 2, 2011 6:07pm | Report
Luther3000 wrote:

Yep, supports are generally underrated by newer (or not so great) players. Suffice it to say there is a reason supports are used almost every game in ranked, and certainly in every competetive game.

Also, because I'm a picky bastard, Janna doesn't really heal much at all, only on her ult :P

There are thing you'll learn after some time and the importance of supports is one of them.

True. But that doesn't make her a bad support, she got the AoE jump and the shield.
Another champion whose heal is weak is Karma, but her shield is as good as Janna's, maybe better, and she got a good damage for a support too.
UltimateHavok
<Member>
UltimateHavok's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 5, 2011 7:13am | Report
I love playing a carry or some one who gets a ton of kills every game, but of course Supports are fun too and certainly can help your team a lot if played right. One of my favorites I just started trying more cause he is free is Taric, a great support tank. However I'm sure he could be shut down fairly easy in ranked by being focused + ignite.

It's always fun to mix it up a bit and play a support champ and help carry your carry and team to victory. :P
My name is Havok.
And yes, your mother loves me.

Check out my Katarina guide!
+rep me because I am awesome.

Thanks to jhoijhoi!
Brynollf
<Member>
Brynollf's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 5, 2011 12:32pm | Report
I've been thinking long about buying Sona, is it worth it?
Thanks to Xiao for the awesome signature!
Please +Rep me if i helped you.
Luther3000
<Sharpshooter>
Luther3000's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 5, 2011 1:25pm | Report
Brynollf wrote:

I've been thinking long about buying Sona, is it worth it?

I quite enjoy Sona, she's very easy to play and her skills can really help out your team. Her ult is pretty damn good for teamfights too. I usually wait until I can try champions on their free week before I buy them though, and I think Sona hasn't been free for a while, so you might want to wait a week or two and see if she is on the rotation.
Sinjustice
<Editor>
Sinjustice's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 5, 2011 1:52pm | Report
Supports are a unique beast in a game.

Lots of times when I play a support and we're sitting in the post-game lobby after we won, I look at the scores and I'm like 1/6/22 and no one on our team has more than 3 or 4 deaths, I get this superhuman feeling. It's the feeling of knowing that you may have been the one factor that won the game for you team.

Even when I play a carry and I go like 17/2/5 or something, it's a good feeling, but I always feel like, "Hey, someone else could've put out some damage too. Someone else could've gotten those kills."

Playing a support is an empowering feeling.

If you like one of my guides or a comment of mine, toss me a +Rep. Please and thank you!
PM me if you have any questions or suggestions.
SotheculA
<Member>
SotheculA's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 7, 2011 6:10am | Report
Supports

Low Elo : Lane Mate : GO KILL HIM OMFG
Soraka : I cant i,m support my dmg is not that great
Lane Mate : FCK YOU SUPPORT SUCKS

High Elo : Me : Plz pick support
Team Mate : I cant i dont have right Masteries (Was Rank Game he had 30 sec to change)

What is it with ppl that they think supports are bad :/

My fav support is Janna
PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 7, 2011 5:34pm | Report
I love the support role, but after some experimentation I found that I suck with all the best ones :(. The only supports I can play well are Alistar, Lux and maybe Nidalee.

I think that most players, especially newer ones, don't like playing supports because you can't contribute in a very obvious way. Sure, a Soraka can heal and give mana, but the skill it requires isn't as apparent as a devious juke from a Shaco or a perfect gank with Nocturne. What's more, your score can often suffer, even though you may have played your role well and saved lives with every death.

All in all, a support is simply less appealing than other roles, and less satisfying to learn. This isn't what I believe, but I think this is a pretty common view of supportive champions.
Thanks to Nyoike for the sig!
deathalo44
<Member>
deathalo44's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 8, 2011 9:42pm | Report
Supports are one of the classified under the easy-to-learn section. Most of the time, they play a crucial role without anyone knowing. It may not be something like aceing the entire opponent team or managing to pull of great jukes, but they still play a great part.

Supports are usually seen as great CC players, or totally useless, which is totally wrong.

I recently played as Karma. A gank on us fails :) End results US : 3 THEM : 0 (Seriously, they should hate you a lot)

Among the supports are the healers and shielders, and the support-damagers.

Healers and shielders include
Soraka (Massive heal, mass heal, mana heal)
Janna (Shield + Damage up, knockback + Heal, knock up)
Taric (Heal, aura, stun, self-heal)
Zilean (Revive, Movement boost)
Kayle (Heal, Infinite shield for 3 sec)

Support damagers include
Karma (Heal, shield, damage)
Nidalee (Heal, sight, damage)
Alistar (AP) (Weak Heal, damage)
Lux (AP) (Shield, sight, clear up)

Supports are great. Changing lane when your lane partner is a complete annoying person, easily proves how weak they are. They might actually beg you to come back :)

Also, support needs an element of self-sacrifice. Same as tanks, you need to suicide for you team to live sometimes :)
Amumu Guide :D

Eve guide :D

Hope whatever I say helps! :D

PS : Not all my criticism is good. Most of the time, I just talk like that anyway. So forgive me if you get offended, unless you just can't look from my angle, or at least close enough.
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide