Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

New player, looking for guidance

Creator: kingvillan March 7, 2017 3:59am
1 2
kingvillan
<Member>
kingvillan's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 7, 2017 3:59am | Report
Hi guys,

I am very new to League of Legends, only 3 weeks or so. But even after 3 weeks I still feel like I am not progressing at all, every time I try to play PVP I just seem to get completely stomped in lane and eventually flamed at by my teammates. The only time I actually do well is vs bots..

The flaming aspect I was warned about before I started, so that didn't affect me so much, but more so I'm still so clueless with a lot of things. My friends who are all pretty good players tell me that it takes a while before you start to gain a decent understanding but I do feel as though a lot of it is still being misunderstood by myself massively.

I've tried to watch a lot of YouTube videos and such to try and better understand, but even the simple things like masteries and item builds I still feel as though I am messing up, generally I just buy the recommended build for items (not sure if this is correct or not). I am constantly stuck in my lane because I'm kind of intimidated to roam, my ward placement isn't good and my map awareness is also pretty poor.

I know I can't expect to be good at the game straight away; and I'm fully aware it will take a lot of time before I can consider myself 'good' but I'm just looking for any kind of help, even if it is just tips you guys wish you had known when you were starting out.

- KV
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 7, 2017 4:15am | Report
Heya KV :3

What champions do you like playing? We might be able to help you a bit more if we get to know your likes/dislikes ^^

Welcome to MobaFire too, btw!
guide writing tips 'n tricksashes to ashesfancy a sig?

♡ sig by me ♡
kingvillan
<Member>
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 7, 2017 4:19am | Report
Hey! :)

Thank you for the kind welcome!

I have really enjoyed playing Blitzcrank as a support, but normally I have just played with my friend, so normally one of us is ADC and the other is Support, I haven't really played much in any other roles. Also enjoyed Leona too.
Eiron
<Member>
Eiron's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 7, 2017 8:56am | Report
try out thresh maybe, he has similar mechanics as a bc, and he is also playmaking champion that can carry teamfights, but you will need some practice.
Ekki
<Veteran>
Ekki's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 7, 2017 10:58am | Report
kingvillan wrote:
it takes a while before you start to gain a decent understanding
^This is true. You'll start getting a feel of how the game and different champions work over time, making the game seem less chaotic and the path to getting better more clear.

In the meantime you can always hone the basics if you're willing to get better slightly faster.
  • Practice lasthitting as much as you can when you play adc (or mid/top if you try it). 10 CS (creep score) per minute of the game is what's called "perfect farm". Between 6-8 cs/min is probably well over the average though.
  • Try to learn all the skills to every champion*. There's around 135 of them, and understanding what they all do is probably the hardest part of picking up the game.

You can start learning every champion's ultimate, with a general idea of how the rest of the kit works. Then you can try to have an idea of the three basic skills + passive. You should probably do this by focusing on the 9 champions you encounter every game, then after some time you will only have to look at one or two champions you don't understand every now and then.

Lastly, the ideal scenario is that you at one point get to know the general usage of everyone's kit, but that's something you can focus on when and if you plan on climbing the ranked ladder.
  • Not too much about basics, but I think Blitzcrank is a "noob trap" support. He's one of the most impactful supports throughout the game, but as a new player, playing too much with him may make you focus too much in landing skillshots and not enough in the rest of the necessary skills to get good at the game. He's fun af and I did the same as you when I started playing the game (that was 4-5 years ago, he has barely changed), but try to play with other supports from time to time, it'll also make you a better Blitzcrank player.

Similar supports are Nautilus and Thresh, both with a "hook" Q, but a different kit that makes you think more between hooks.

* Galio is probably going to get changed in a month so don't bother with his current kit
Latest Legend
<Member>
Latest Legend's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 7, 2017 11:36am | Report
I think Leona is a great teacher, the feedback for doing something wrong is usually quite, quite clear haha. So if you like playing her I would encourage it.

Recommended item builds are often not the right way to go. They're better these days but still some are far off, and of course, your items depend on the game you're playing. Get MR earlier and/or more when that enemy AP champion is getting fed, Mikael's Blessing if your ad carry keeps getting locked down by CC et cetera.

If you play with a friend who has already played the game a lot, it's not surprising that you feel you're getting stomped. The first thing you need in League is just plain experience, like Ekki already mentioned.

GL HF ^^
********'s a pretty good fertilizer
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 7, 2017 1:12pm | Report
In terms of masteries, try looking at a few guides on MobaFire to get an idea of what to grab. You won't get the most important mastery, the Key Stone, until you level up though, so you've got plenty of time to learn what suits the champion you're playing best.

When you play Blitz, are you aggressive or passive?

♡ sig by thenamelessbard ♡
kingvillan
<Member>
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 7, 2017 1:15pm | Report
Thank you for the really positive and helpful feedback guys, I didn't expect it so quickly!

Ekki - Understandable about the Blitzcrank; at the time of writing the new free rotation had only been out half a day or so, after playing a bit more I'm really starting to enjoy Leona, I love her 'all-in' style!

Latest Legend - I feel like even when I solo queue it's really hard for me (assuming it's a load of smurfs, which my friends inevitably warned me about too) but I understand how in turn it could help more solo queuing. I find your tips on the items quite helpful; thanks alot!

Also a couple of you mentioned Thresh; would it be worth buying him to try him out or waiting until he is on the free rotation?

Anyway guys, I'm massively grateful for all the responses! Please give me any more advice you have too! Honestly anything about any aspect of the game would most likely help me since for the most part I'm still pretty clueless, though I find myself reading a lot of guides and watching YouTube videos often. Once again a massive thank you! :D
kingvillan
<Member>
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 7, 2017 1:22pm | Report
Jhoijhoi - When I'm playing with him, I like to try and get off pulls whenever I feel like they will most likely die to us, apart from that I don't generally play aggressive unless we have a big advantage over them in levels/items.
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 7, 2017 10:51pm | Report
@ kingvillan, how much IP do you have? I probably spent way too much money on League. If you can, try and save up IP to grab champions.

If you want to build up your aggression, perhaps try playing ARAMs. You can't really play passively in ARAMs and you'll be exposed to a lot of the champions in the game, giving you a better idea of what each champion does. You'll also, of course, be given a random champion to play, so you'll be increasing your skills in general.

With regards to Blitzcrank, there's nothing stopping you from walking up to the enemy and using Power Fist to knock them up and then use Rocket Grab as they're fleeing. A lot of the players you'll be facing will be wary of you trying to hook them in, but won't expect you to use E first.

^^

♡ sig by Tauricus2017 ♡
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide