Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

What if I just plain stink?

Creator: turnip January 12, 2011 3:43pm
turnip
<Member>
turnip's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 12, 2011 3:43pm | Report
Old Geezer here who is accustomed to playing real time strategy games, nothing that requires actual hand eye, keyboard coordination. I like to play with my son but the reality is - I'm absolutely horrible. So far the only character I don't completely stink with is Teemo. I'm thinking maybe thats because he's basically a one button wonder. Read a good build and then spam Q.

Any suggestions for someone with maginal skills, at best, who wants to at least help his team a little and not be a feeder? I don't really care what class I play, as long as I can be useful. I'm willing to practice but it seems like once I get in the heat of battle, a full blown fire fight, I just fold.

Many thanks in advance, the turnip
Jebus McAzn
<Retired Moderator>
Jebus McAzn's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 12, 2011 3:48pm | Report
I personally cannot volunteer to mentor - I need improvement, myself - but one thing I recommend (if you haven't done so already) is to watch videos and listen to advice from commentators/players. Obviously, this comes second to actually practicing in-game, but if you're ever not playing and want to brush up a bit, check out videos from TreeEskimo, Reginald's live-stream (solomid.net), CLGaming's vids, and instructive videos from Colbycheeze and Coldturkey49. The last two are more newbie-friendly while the first three are more hardcore. You learn a lot from all of them, regardless.
shadows fiji
<Member>
shadows fiji's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 12, 2011 6:53pm | Report
someome has done research alot :P
Xaioli
<Veteran>
Xaioli's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 12, 2011 7:19pm | Report
Turnip,

I've seen a lot of high end gamer's streams, and videos and I've taken every video to help me get better at League of Legends. From what I can say, last hitting is essential for everything. Whenever you watch a professional League game, they will get up to 95% of their last hits, while being able to harrass. Now I'm not saying that you have to be that good, but trying to last hit is important. Getting the gold for items are essential. A second tip is when you see someone screwed, and there is no way you can save them, just let them go. Don't try to be a hero, and save them. Also, map control. Since you play Teemo, your mushrooms will serve as a lot of wards. Keep main points warded (red and blue buff, dragon, baron.) Team fighting is essential. Don't let your team engage in a 4v5 when you know you could be there. Uh, and a final tip. "KS'ing" isn't bad unless you've ksed for your 20th kill. With some ksing, will be some ragers. That is the biggest downside to League. When there are ragers, give them attention if they have a valid point. If not, just ignore them and enjoy the game. Too many people are trying too hard. That much effort will just mess everyone's gameplay up.

You say you main Teemo, so do I kinda! I play Teemo all the time in ranked (76.9% WR out of 30 1400-1500~ ranked), and he is a force to be reckoned with. If you go AP, your joy with Teemo will increase. Watch a shroom melt away enemies' hp bars! If you go AD/AS, your auto attacks will make enemies pay for letting you get in range. The downside of Teemo is his squishiness, and will lead to you dieing a lot (feeding). As a result, start with Health Quints and a Doran's item. Those will give you a fair amount of health. Then to progress, get a or if you are going AP. Build a if you're going AD. Also, take advantage of your Move Quick. People say that it's useless, but I find it very useful. It's like a little insta-dash, and it's amazing to get to or away from someone. Drop shrooms in correct places, and learn to kite people into the shrooms. If you do all of that, you'll be a professional Teemo. >:D

I hope some of my basic tips helped you. It's great to know that a father is playing a game with his son. It's pretty cool imo! If you want to see an idea of my AP Teemo in ranked, check out my guide if you want (SUBLIMINAL MESSAGING BWAHHAHHA.) If you have more questions, contact me on US Server : Xaioli, or just post a question here.

Have Fun!
~Xaioli

Trojan995
<Veteran>
Trojan995's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 12, 2011 7:40pm | Report
If you're looking for an easy way to learn the game, maybe start with Sona. She's a support unit, that when built the right way isn't squishy in the least and all you have to do is stand around your allies to be of any assistance, and continually spam abilities. It couldn't be easier. A great way to build her for a lower-level player is this way:
Meki Pendant Soul Shroud Mercury's Treads Archangel's Staff Aegis of the Legion Will of the Ancients Abyssal Mask

This build will give you lots of HP, armor, and MR. Just stand by your allies, and spam abilities. They auto target and the auras are a huge help to your team. If you play this way, you can learn to last hit and some general game tactics without having to focus on playing a more complicated character.
Click for one of my awesome builds!
Thanks to Mowen, WrATHofVuLK, and AlexanPT for the signatures! Check out Tristana: The Lane Game, Maokai: The Chu8 Way, and Twisted Fate: Card Games!
Mowen
<Retired Admin>
Mowen's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 12, 2011 8:08pm | Report
I will say this. If you just started playing, this game has a REALLY high learning curve. It will take you a long time to get good at it. So it's probably partially lack of experience, but if you do what these ppl said and do research / watch videos, you will get better faster. :)
Thanks to GrandMasterD for my sig!
PStyle
<Member>
PStyle's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 14, 2011 7:42pm | Report
There are a lot of guides on Mobafire to help you
I recommend starting off by playing a tanky champion, such as Singed, Malphite, Amumu, or Shen
These are easy to play and they're pretty good
2 of my Guides

Malphite

Cho'Gath
HeAt
<Veteran>
HeAt's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 17, 2011 8:12am | Report
Hey man.. i can help you out.. and yes last hitting is key! you want to get that last hit on AS MANY creeps as you can
- HeAt
Everybody! Don't Forget To Check out Some of My Beatboxing @ www.youtube.com/heatbbx and give me that +rep if i helped you out :)

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide