Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Champion Update: Swain, the Noxian Grand General

Creator: PsiGuard January 23, 2018 3:23pm
1 2
PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 23, 2018 3:23pm | Report

Swain is the visionary ruler of the Noxian empire, commanding its warhosts from the front lines. Though he was crippled in the Ionian wars, Swain seized control of Noxus with ruthless determination and a new, demonic hand. Now, the Grand General marches against a coming darkness that only he can see.

Passive: Ravenous Flock

Ravenous: Swain can periodically right-click any nearby immobilized enemy champion to rip out a Soul Fragment, damaging and pulling them toward him.

Flock: Enemy champions leave behind a Soul Fragment when they die. Shadowy ravens scavenge nearby Soul Fragments, healing Swain for a portion of his maximum health. Swain can store several fragments at once.

Q: Death's Hand

Swain unleashes several bolts of eldritch power in front of him, each damaging the first enemy struck. Enemies can intercept multiple bolts, but only take full damage from the first. Bolts pierce through units they kill, restoring a portion of Swain's mana.

W: Vision of Empire

Swain opens a demonic eye at a target location, damaging and slowing all enemies in the area after a moderate delay.

Vision of Empire deals extra damage to champions caught in the explosion, reveals them, and grants Swain a Soul Fragment for each champion hit.

E: Nevermove

Swain projects his demonic hand forward, damaging all enemies in its path. The hand returns to Swain and explodes on the first enemy hit, damaging and rooting all enemies caught in the blast.

R: Demonic Ascension

Swain gains a large amount of health on-cast and drains life from several nearby enemies (prioritizing champions) for an extended duration.

When Demonic Ascension ends, Swain consumes his Soul Fragments to cast Demonflare, a nova of energy that damages the closest enemies around him. Demonflare's damage increases for each Soul Fragment consumed.

After draining enough health, Swain can end Demonic Ascension early to cast Demonflare on-demand.

Playing As Swain

As Swain, you're a warlock general who seizes the life—and souls—of enemies on the battlefield. Stay five steps ahead of the opposition with Nevermove and Vision of Empire, clipping the wings of your foes as you rout them out of position.

With your plans set in motion, head to the front and wreak havoc with Death's Hand, then shrug off any counteroffensive using Demonic Ascension's health drain. Once you've brought enemies low, devastate their formation with Demonflare and claim victory for Noxus.

Tips And Tricks

Demonic Ascension's lengthy duration and the short cooldown on Death's Hand lend themselves toward the longer battles Swain loves, but he has trouble sticking to enemies as fights drag on. Master Swain players should opt into runes or items that offset this weakness.

Vision of Empire's extreme cast range grants you influence over a huge portion of the map. Look for chances to 'gank' for off-screen teammates, track the enemy jungler, or scout unwarded objectives.

Ravenous Flock can grab enemy champs immobilized by any effect, not just Swain's. Work with your allies—you'll often find better targets by following up on their lockdown, rather than trying to set up plays by yourself.
Thanks to Jovy for the sig!
VexRoth
<Veteran>
VexRoth's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 23, 2018 3:34pm | Report
The picture at the top of the post goes to the Evelynn reveal.

I believe this is the correct link.

https://na.leagueoflegends.com/us/featured/champion-reveal-swain
PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 23, 2018 3:57pm | Report
Thanks, sorry about that!
Thanks to Jovy for the sig!
Lady Amelyne
<Member>
Lady Amelyne's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 23, 2018 3:59pm | Report
He's literally Vlad, like they both shoot red stuff, too. At least he was kind of unique before all this. Ah well, another champion no one cares about.
Credits go to The_Nameless_Bard for the sig!
Nighthawk
<Veteran>
Nighthawk's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 23, 2018 7:27pm | Report
Literally who asked for this? Who asked for a Swain Rework? Last I checked there were a lot more champions they were supposed to rework and update and Swain wasn't one of them. Swain has been honestly fine for a very long time, he's niche and doesn't fit in the meta, but he's not bad.

FatelBlade
<Member>
FatelBlade's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 23, 2018 8:35pm | Report
I've been asking for it. The mini rework ****ed the Swain I love, and now it looks like they're making him into a super dope, super ****ing cool bombtastic champion.

Why is your first response anger and shock? He sucks now and will be good in the future. Take that negativity outta here.
Thanks to jhoijhoi for the awesome PsiGuard-loving sig!
Latest Legend
<Member>
Latest Legend's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 24, 2018 7:36am | Report
I think the mechanics look like another case of "either very ****ty or very overpowered depending on the numbers".
********'s a pretty good fertilizer
Greninja121
<Member>
Greninja121's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 24, 2018 9:39am | Report
So what do you think of him is he better than the old Swain or is he better.
OTGBionicArm
<McFly>
OTGBionicArm's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 24, 2018 1:01pm | Report
FatelBlade wrote:
I've been asking for it. The mini rework ****ed the Swain I love, and now it looks like they're making him into a super dope, super ****ing cool bombtastic champion.

Why is your first response anger and shock? He sucks now and will be good in the future. Take that negativity outta here.

You see, Nighthawk is the resident complainer when champs get reworked. Were you around for the great Trundle disaster? That was some comedy gold.
VexRoth
<Veteran>
VexRoth's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 24, 2018 3:03pm | Report
So what do you think of him is he better than the old Swain or is he better.

E, Nevermove has pretty good range but kind of odd CC conditions. You get rooted if it explodes near you on the way back.

But if you hit it, you can displace the enemy by quite a lot and while rooted you can hit Vision of Empire which otherwise is rather slow.

If his numbers are right and his wave clear is good enough, Vision of Empire is going to be rather useful in pro play for scouting.

Demonic Ascension seems to have a rather long duration and Demonflare does a good chunk of damage after a good chunk of life has been sucked out of neaby targets.

Seems kiteable, though between E and your teamates CC you may be able to mitigate that, so again good for Pro play.

Skill expression

In Q usage (do I get upclose for max damage to one target? or do I try to spread the damage out).

Hitting E on the right targets and/or taking advantage of your teams CC to get a pull.

Knowing when and where to use W for vision and to stack your passive.

Healer so somewhat countered by Grevious Wounds.

By the numbers his base damages are high and his AP ratios are relatively low so that suggests a magic penetration build, which is pretty good right now since MR is in low supply.

Sans Beatrice he definitely seems like less of a control mage in the traditional sense. But vision is a form of control and I suppose in ult form he is the zone you need to stay away from.

Some burst, some sustained dmg, some utilty, some CC. I'd say he is simply a little more versatile compared to his current incarnation.
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide