Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

/dev: New Tiers & Placements in Ranked 2019

Creator: PsiGuard September 19, 2018 5:34pm
1 2
PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 19, 2018 5:34pm | Report

Changes to Placements
  • You'll get a provisional rank after your first game in the new season, visible only to you.
  • Each win during your provisional matches grants a lot of LP, and you won't lose LP for losing.
  • You can skip promotion series during your provisional matches and climb up the ranks quickly.
  • Once your provisional matches are complete, your rank will be displayed publicly and you'll gain and lose LP normally.

Current Issues with Ranked
  • Bronze players can improve their skill but not see their rank go up.
  • Diamond covers too broad of a range of skill levels.
  • Goal: Spread out clumps of players with varying skill levels across different ranks and make the overall ranking system more consistent.

Ranked Tier Changes
  • Two new ranked tiers: Iron and Grandmaster.
  • Iron is placed below Bronze tier and is the new bottom of the ladder
  • Grandmaster is placed above Master and below Challenger
  • All ranked tiers (up to and including Diamond) will have 4 divisions instead of 5, reducing the amount of games required to climb up a full tier.
  • New visuals for ranked badges of each tier.

Check out the /dev diary script and the official /dev post on top tier changes for more details.
Thanks to The_Nameless_Bard for the sig!
Nighthawk
<Veteran>
Nighthawk's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 19, 2018 8:40pm | Report
Overall I think these changes are okay.

Hamstertamer
<Veteran>
Hamstertamer's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 20, 2018 3:48am | Report
Oh okay, so no more rank by role? Good. Just uncontroversial quality of life changes.

Why Iron below Bronze tho? Don't they know the iron age was after the bronze age? Why not brick lol.
moon827
<Member>
moon827's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 20, 2018 5:52am | Report
Does this mean mmr reset?
denztrolls
<Member>
denztrolls's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 20, 2018 12:35pm | Report
does this mean imma turn into iron 26
PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 20, 2018 3:40pm | Report
Oh okay, so no more rank by role? Good. Just uncontroversial quality of life changes.

This is still in the works, Riot just hasn't given any more details on how it'll work that they haven't already stated. There's a little bit of info at the end of their top tier changes post regarding ranks by role.

Why Iron below Bronze tho? Don't they know the iron age was after the bronze age? Why not brick lol.

Yeah I was expecting Copper. Maybe they didn't want to break up the Bronze -> Silver -> Gold trio, but they could have used a different rank for the lowest rank. Preferably Wood. :P

moon827 wrote:
Does this mean mmr reset?

There will be a soft reset just like every other season. There may be differences in ranks for 2019, but under the hood your MMR will work the same way. You just may be placed into a different rank than "normal" depending on how everything in the new system shakes out.

denztrolls wrote:
does this mean imma turn into iron 26

If you meant to say "Iron 2," there isn't a 1-to-1 correlation between this season's ranks and next season's ranks. If you're high bronze, you'll likely remain in bronze (or at least start your provisionals in a place where you can climb back to bronze very quickly). If you're in the lower half of bronze players, you'll likely start somewhere in iron.

The idea here is to split Bronze into Iron and Bronze. This should result in more measurable progress instead of people being stuck in bronze 5 and not climbing because of the wide range of skill levels present there. It'll still be just as hard to climb to higher ranks, but you should have a smoother level of progress and actually rank up sooner if you improve your skills since there are more ranks to go through.
Thanks to The_Nameless_Bard for the sig!
Mayuran95
<Sorcerer>
Mayuran95's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 21, 2018 1:11am | Report
This is interesting! If i understand it correct then the current high diamond players will be master next season. That will hopefully fix the huge skill-gap difference in diamond that's been ruining this tier for a long time.
VexRoth
<Veteran>
VexRoth's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 21, 2018 8:07am | Report
For a few more details, Phy has a fairly in depth discussion about it with Sap Magic.

I do feel like it should be Copper > Bronze

But I also feel like they should go

Challenger > Master > Grandmaster on the top end, but whatevs.

I do think it is a good idea to break up some of the areas where players are clustered.
Vapora Dark
<Perfectionist>
Vapora Dark's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 21, 2018 9:25am | Report
VexRoth wrote:
For a few more details, Phy has a fairly in depth discussion about it with Sap Magic.

https://youtu.be/BXxU5N3QwDM

Did I just get clickbaited into watching an ad?
VexRoth
<Veteran>
VexRoth's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 21, 2018 10:19am | Report

Did I just get clickbaited into watching an ad?

Not intentionally. If that was the wrong link, my apologies. I was trying to link a vid of Phy and Sap Magic discussing the ranked changes which went into a little more depth in certain areas than anything else I had yet seen on the topic.
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide