Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

MOBAFire Celebrity Interview - Jebus McAzn

Creator: Mowen September 9, 2013 1:39pm
1 2
Mowen
<Retired Admin>
Mowen's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 9, 2013 1:39pm | Report

It’s time for our second MOBAFire Celebrity Interview. This time around we’re going to be featuring Jebus McAzn. Jebus has been around our site for almost 3 years now. He’s always been active and helpful. I remember him being promoted to Veteran when I had recently joined the site. I’ve seen him move on to make several helpful and well rated guides, become a moderator, be one of the main forces in keeping the database updated (before there was such a thing as Editors), and write for eSports Central.

Now, onto the interview!

Why did you join MOBAFire?

• The website was the first to appear when I searched "League of Legends guides" all those years ago. I also found Leaguecraft, while Solomid had not yet been established. MOBAFire's friendly interface, aesthetically pleasing guides, and helpful community all attracted me to the site.

How did MOBAFire improve your League of Legends experience?

• Obviously, the guides were a huge help when I was learning the game, as this was well before any official metagame had consolidated and champions had not yet had "traditional" builds defined for them. The biggest improvement to my League experience, however, was meeting new people and befriending them - both on the forum and online. Socializing with people on the MOBAFire forums, becoming an established member, watching others become established members; it all created this sense of community that was really nice to have.

How has your MOBAFire experience changed throughout your stay here?

• The site has grown so much since I've joined. I remember taking a hiatus from the site and coming back a few months later to see a huge overhaul of the voting system, and just being amazed at how much everyone had accomplished. Guide quality has (generally) shot up - I mean, some of the highest rated pieces on the site have more work put into them than most college final papers. I'm not incredibly active on the forums lately, but the biggest change to my experience has been seeing the site mature and develop into this booming League of Legends community.

What is a memorable moment you had involving MOBAFire?

• Probably Jet. Jet was one of MOBAFire's first "trolls" - and I put that in quotations because he wasn't strictly a troll. He was a funny user, and ended up splitting the community. Many people hated him because he could be extremely abrasive, especially when criticizing guides. Other users loved him because of his antics and the reactions that he got from community members when he provoked them. If I remember correctly, he was the first user to actually get permabanned from the site - and that was an ordeal that I just don't want to get into, with many PMs flying back and forth between me, Matt, DEWO, and Scrax.

What keeps you coming back to MOBAFire?

• At this point it's mostly seeing what people are up to and discussing League. Most of my experience involving LoL forums now is centered around eSports (I maintain a few eSports discussion threads in one of the subforums) and I also return to MOBAFire to publish a few articles every now and then.

What are you looking forward to on MOBAFire?

• Definitely the MCS and how it continues to affect the amateur scene. The MOBAFire Challenger Series was a huge step for amateur League of Legends - with the LCS taking over competitive NA and EU play, the MCS was the first really ambitious tournament to gain traction from sites like Reddit. A lot of this can be attributed almost exclusively to two teams - compLexity, a fan favorite from the Spring Split of the NA LCS - and To Be Determined, which has well-known players like Arthelon, Westrice, and ROBERTxLEE that are loved by the community.

The MCS is just the first step in the growth of the North American amateur scene, and of LoL eSports as a whole. I'm really excited to see how it develops.

Can you tell us about your journey with League of Legends? What was the experience like when you started, and what is it like now?

• I started playing in July 2010 after watching two of my good friends play Fiddlesticks in 3v3s. I thought the game looked very fun and downloaded it. Back then, it was a fun and casual game that had many interactions between different champions and characters, which is what made it appeal to me so much. I got one of my friends to start playing. Then I got ten of my friends to start playing. Then I moved schools, and I got another twenty people addicted to the game. Pretty soon, there were community inhouses and crazy 5v5s where everybody knew each other and everybody was in the same Skype call. No other game has ever given me that kind of experience before.

Nowadays, we still have the occasional inhouse. Four of my friends and I are also looking into starting a serious ranked 5s team, which has a lot of promise. I'm also significantly more invested into eSports - but the only thing that's changed there is that when I watch SKT1 beat KTB, I have to write an article on it afterwards (yes, I'm rooting for SKT1 in the playoffs).

Who's your favorite champion and why?

• Anivia has always been my favorite champion. I really liked the theme of an ice phoenix, and the way her skills interacted just seemed really cool to me. She was the first 6300 champion I purchased. Froggen immediately became my favorite player in Season 2 because he was the best Anivia in the world. I actually don't play a lot of her anymore, but she's still probably my favorite champ.

I know you’re an avid eSports follower. Who’s your favorite team or player?

• My favorite team right now is SK Telecom T1, in Korea. They've been my favorite team since OGN Spring, and they're the team I'm rooting for going into the OGN finals.

My favorite player is still MaKNooN, just because of his personality in game and his mechanical skill. Though he hasn't seen a lot of competitive action lately, I'm hopeful that I'll see more of him in S4.

When do you have the most fun playing League of Legends?

• Definitely in big 5v5 inhouses where everybody is in one big, chaotic Skype call. Everyone is screaming at each other and yelling whenever a huge play is made - it's a hell of a time.

What are you looking forward to in League of Legends?

• I want to see eSports become bigger than a lot of popular sports. I want to see it be mainstream and to not have people question the legitimacy of playing video games for a living. I want to see an official spectator mode for the client (C'mon, Riot.)

What’s another game that you are very fond of, and why?

• I really like RTSs like Starcraft and Age of Empires. The resources, the tech, and in general building a civilization in a short amount of time is just really fun. Recently, I've spent a lot of time playing FTL and Assassin's Creed.

Who is your favorite superhero, and why?

• Probably Hawkeye. He's a normal guy who fights supervillains, and I prefer the bow and arrow to whatever Batman uses.

If you could go anywhere in the world where would you go?

• I really want to see Paris, and I might be going around Christmastime.

Do you have any funny stories from when you were a child?

• This one time I accidentally flooded my summer school in third grade because I thought those chemical showers were water fountains...

...there will be no further explanation

Read Jebus McAzn's most recent eSports article here: http://www.mobafire.com/esports/news/ogn-summer-quarterfinals-previews-and-predictions-304

Thanks to GrandMasterD for my sig!
Janitsu
<Moderator>
Janitsu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 9, 2013 1:51pm | Report
Jebus is so old alreadu :') They grow so fast!

Thanks to OwenTheAwesomer for the signature =)
Bioalchemist
<Editor>
Bioalchemist's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 9, 2013 2:08pm | Report

This one time I accidentally flooded my summer school in third grade because I thought those chemical showers were water fountains...

...there will be no further explanation

lol NICE

Thanks to jhoijhoi for my signature!

jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 9, 2013 4:50pm | Report
"Only Asians buy gold gen items, for rice farming. Is it because your relatives are in the Philippines and poor?" - Jet

Charming guy!

But nice interview ^^
guide writing tips 'n tricksashes to ashesfancy a sig?

♡ sig by thenamelessbard ♡
caucheka
<Veteran>
caucheka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 9, 2013 5:55pm | Report
so we doing these like once a month?
I like things that make me feel stupid. - Ken Levine
Mowen
<Retired Admin>
Mowen's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 9, 2013 6:12pm | Report
As long as people are enjoying them we will try to do them once a month for the MOBAFire Newsletter. :)
Thanks to GrandMasterD for my sig!
devdevil
<Member>
devdevil's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 9, 2013 8:57pm | Report
Is there a certain system to choosing these interviews?
Just curious O_o
SPASPASPASPA

+rep me if you think I did something cool enough to deserve it!
caucheka
<Veteran>
caucheka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 10, 2013 12:27am | Report
they'd more than likely go through most (if not all) of the mods and older vets. it hasn't been discussed amongst the vets.
I like things that make me feel stupid. - Ken Levine
A Chubby Baby
<Veteran>
A Chubby Baby's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 10, 2013 1:25am | Report
Had fun reading this.
Embracing
<Crowd Favorite>
Embracing's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 10, 2013 2:19am | Report