Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Patch 6.5 Summary

Creator: Wayne3100 March 9, 2016 5:44am
1 2
Wayne3100
<Retired Admin>
Wayne3100's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 9, 2016 5:44am | Report

Hello and welcome to the MOBAFire Patch Summary - 6.5!

As you may have noticed, the NA servers were down just a few hours ago, and the reason for that is simple: it was time for another patch! Patch 6.5 is a champion focused patch in which some of the champions that have struggled to keep up recently have received buffs, while a few of the strong outliers have also been toned down.

In this post, we'll be taking a look at all of those changes before briefly discussing the addition of clubs and changes made to summoner level progression, followed by the usual eye candy in the form of upcoming skins. Let's go!

Champion Updates

WTF DID THEY DO TO MY CHAMPION?!
quick access for concerned players

+
+
+
Azir
Gnar
Hecarim
Jarvan IV
~
-
-
Kog'Maw
Nautilus
Pantheon
Quinn
+
+
~
Renekton
Shen
Sejuani
Soraka
-
+
+

Talon
Urgot
Vi

! = Rework / Gameplay Update* = Mostly bugfix(es) and/or display changes+ = Buff- = Nerf~ = Mixed

Do you remember the days of seeing Jarvan IV in most of your games, the days when Renekton reigned supreme in top lane, and Sejuani was an actual thing? If so, do you miss those days?

I certainly hope so, because patch 6.5 has buffed all three of these champions. Now, Jarvan IV will have a lower cooldown on Golden Aegis (12 seconds at all ranks) and deal damage to all targets caught in Cataclysm, Renekton will generate Fury on both the slice and dice of Slice and Dice and gain more bonus Health at early ranks of Dominus (200/400/800 ⇒ 250/500/750), while Sejuani has a snappier auto attack reset when using Flail of the Northern Winds and deals more damage with Permafrost early on (60/90/120/150/180 ⇒ 80/105/130/155/180).

On top of these buff given to previously top-tier champions (more examples can be viewed in the table above), Riot have also shown some love to a champion that has never really been a stable pick: Urgot. In an attempt to reduce the risk involved when using his ultimate offensively, Riot have added a 1.5 second AoE fear to Hyper-Kinetic Position Reverser which will affect all units near Urgot after the swap, granting him some time to run back to his team after swapping himself forward (towards enemies).

However, as much as I'd like to tell you there's only good news, patch 6.5 also contains nerfs to Nautilus, Pantheon and Talon: Riptide and Heartseeker Strike now deal less damage than before, Grand Skyfall no longer refunds mana and has a 20s higher cooldown when cancelled, and Shadow Assault costs more mana and has a higher cooldown than before.

Clubs and Summoner Level Progression

Normally, we'd use this section to highlight item and mastery changes, but there aren't many of those in patch 6.5. Instead, we want to highlight the addition of clubs, which will give users the option of creating and moderating chat groups which persist through login sessions.

Clubs can be created in the social panel of the League client*, and members can opt to display a tag of a club they've joined both in and out of game. While the initial cap on the amount of members per club (50) is quite low, this is expected to increase over time.

*Note that clubs are not live yet, but are expected to become available within the next few days.

There's also some good news for new players who are craving to dive into ranked (or players who are looking to level up a second account), as the XP needed to get from level 1 to level 30 has been halved. That's all there is to it, really.

Upcoming Skins

Another patch, another set of upcoming skins. Patch 6.5 certainly does not disappoint, with Death Blossom Kha'Zix and Elderwood Leblanc joining a club of their own (with Death Blossom Elise and Elderwood Bard + Elderwood Hecarim respectively) over the course of the next two weeks.

Share Your Thoughts!

As always, it's time to gather some opinions. How do you think the buffs applied in this patch will influence the popularity of specific champions, and which champion would you like to see buffed next? What about the nerfs, were those fair? As for the upcoming skins, are you planning on picking up either of the two? And finally, do you plan on making a club of your own?

Let us know in the comments below!

Thanks to jhoijhoi for the signature!
mastrer1000
<Editor>
mastrer1000's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 9, 2016 4:23pm | Report
so where is that cat maokai skin you all are so crazy about?
Thanks to IPodPulse for this <3^
Jimmydoggga 2.0
<Member>
Jimmydoggga 2.0's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 9, 2016 4:50pm | Report
It's on the PBE and it's basically nyan cat maokai

Basically MOBAFire.
VexRoth
<Veteran>
VexRoth's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 10, 2016 8:56am | Report
Sigh, I wish they had taken a different direction with Jarvan IV to make him more viable in the jungle.

Does lane J4 make use of Golden Aegis? Maybe in hard match-ups? For jungle it was always a 1 pt wonder because you have a gap closer and Golden Aegis has a large AoE so you could always clip someone with the slow if you got even remotely close to them. Maybe it will help out some with sustain in the jungle. Will have to try it out and see.

The changes feel like they help out AD assassin JIV and do nothing for jungle JIV. I suppose AoE damage from Cataclysm can help you out in a counter gank situation and will of course be good for late game initiates, but it doesn't do anything for your clear speeds.

I liked Stonewall008's suggestion of making the flag targetable and destroyable like a GP barrel, or instantly destroyable by JIV by Dragon striking too it. So you could choose to use it for mobility/knock-up or to fight around it with whatever bonuses Riot deem it should have (since it would have some counter play, they could beef up the power budget inherent to the flag).

Stonewall008 - Rework Idea for JIV

And of course there is rework Poppy who is like a freaking have to ban if you are playing JIV as she completely ****s on your entire kit in every way possible.
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 10, 2016 9:17am | Report
VexRoth wrote:

Does lane J4 make use of Golden Aegis? Maybe in hard match-ups? For jungle it was always a 1 pt wonder because you have a gap closer and Golden Aegis has a large AoE so you could always clip someone with the slow if you got even remotely close to them. Maybe it will help out some with sustain in the jungle. Will have to try it out and see.

The changes feel like they help out AD assassin JIV and do nothing for jungle JIV. I suppose AoE damage from Cataclysm can help you out in a counter gank situation and will of course be good for late game initiates, but it doesn't do anything for your clear speeds.

H4xdefender used to max W second, his reasoning was that the shield was super strong in teamfights because the amount shielded could actually be pretty insane: maximum of 210+5*60 = 510. It's a small buff and won't make him much better, but it helps him along a little bit regardless.
VexRoth
<Veteran>
VexRoth's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 10, 2016 9:23am | Report
Vynertje wrote:

It's a small buff and won't make him much better, but it helps him along a little bit regardless.

Good point that every little bit helps. He was my most played champion in S4 and then they took the armor buff off his flag and he just felt awful. I played him a few times in S5 but my win rate on him dropped from 60% to 40% so I put him away until Riot decided he needed a little love. So he got some love. Maybe time to see how he feels again. :-)
PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 10, 2016 9:34am | Report
As a ex-Jarvan jungle main, I also maxed W second (after several nerfs to E). This change actually makes it more of a one-point-wonder (though you could arguably still max it 2nd), because now you get the 12s CD shield from rank 1 instead of having to wait 20 seconds for the cooldown if you didn't max it.

I feel like his W and E both feel a little lackluster though. More of a lvl 9 or 11 power spike champion than lvl 13.
Thanks to Jovy for the sig!
Embracing
<Crowd Favorite>
Embracing's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 10, 2016 10:13am | Report
FYI it was standard to max W second on Jarvan since a few seasons ago.

Definitely excited to see how the ultimate changes work for him, though I'm not too sure how the balance for that would work. I can really see full AD Jarvan just ****ing on grouped up enemies.

Seems like it'd b fun to smurf with though

:>
utopus
<Veteran>
utopus's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 10, 2016 11:06am | Report
If I recall on the PBE there were changes to make Cataclysm cast a Demacian Standard at the center of the pit. I wonder if it'll be common for Jarvan IV to max E 2nd if that gets implemented, since that will add a lot of damage to his burst
If I helped you out, be sure to throw me a +Rep!
-

My Soraka Guide | My Review Service

Thanks for the sig, MissMaw!
VexRoth
<Veteran>
VexRoth's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 10, 2016 11:51am | Report
utopus wrote:
If I recall on the PBE there were changes to make Cataclysm cast a Demacian Standard at the center of the pit. I wonder if it'll be common for Jarvan IV to max E 2nd if that gets implemented, since that will add a lot of damage to his burst

I saw that change, but apparently they were pulled for the iteration that actually went live (lower and fixed cooldown on Golden Aegis and AoE damage on Cataclysm rather than single target damage).

It would be nice for JIV to have some options so you could play him a little differently depending on the game.
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide