Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

American ISPs and how they shaft their customers

Creator: Searz February 25, 2014 11:53am
1 2 3 4
Jimmydoggga 2.0
<Member>
Jimmydoggga 2.0's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 1, 2014 12:20am | Report
Here's an analogy.
You pay a shipping company to deliver a package on a fast ship.
The ship takes slightly longer than usual to deliver the parcel.
You complain on your blog/website/consumer affairs page about how you're not getting what you pay for
Nothing happens.

I'm pretty sure that if you pay for a fast internet connection, that doesn't mean they have to transmit their goods to you in a certain amount of time. Hence the analogy.

Basically MOBAFire.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 1, 2014 4:17am | Report

Here's an analogy.
You pay a shipping company to deliver a package on a fast ship.
The ship takes slightly longer than usual to deliver the parcel.
You complain on your blog/website/consumer affairs page about how you're not getting what you pay for
Nothing happens.

I'm pretty sure that if you pay for a fast internet connection, that doesn't mean they have to transmit their goods to you in a certain amount of time. Hence the analogy.

Yeah, such an analogy works.
And it's kind of sad how lax things can become just because they only promise "up to". That whole term is fraudulent if you ask me..

Even if we do use the same term here, it's an entirely different thing here in Sweden, because you can likely get whatever ISP you want wherever you want. If they don't provide satisfactory speeds then you can just switch. I.e: competition drives ISPs to do well. That is sadly not the case in the US.
Toshabi wrote:

Searz, if I were you, I'd take an opposing viewpoint to whatever viewpoint you want people to believe in, because debate just ain't your thing.

Feel free to address my comment when you feel like discussing, because you don't really seem to have a grasp of what a discussion actually means.

Mooninites
<Member>
Mooninites's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 1, 2014 10:47am | Report
[deleted] wrote:

That is the dumbest thing i've ever read from you.

You may be impressed, but he has said dumber things
Thanks for the Signature MissMaw!
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 1, 2014 11:34am | Report
Mooninites wrote:

Sigh...
What is it with you guys and empty insults?
Let's stop being stupid and write something reasonable instead. At least Oxide made a reasonable comment after I asked him to.

SkidmarkD
<Member>
SkidmarkD's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 3, 2014 7:12am | Report
Shipping analogy 5.4:

You has delivery system.
It delivers items 2 days after ordering. No matter the original vendor.
You order, 2 days later, you get it.
This is how it used to be.

This is how it's going to be:
You order something. Depending on the vendor, the delivery company will now either deliver it in 2 days, or in 2 weeks.
The items didn't get larger, the infrastructure is still the same, physically everything is still the same.
Yet the delivery company will now hold your items for like 2 weeks before delivering them.
If they come from a certain vendor.
Now that vendor can pay for premium delivery. If it forks up extra money, the delivery company won't hold the items and will deliver them after 2 days.
Just as they used to.

The extra money the vendor is being charged for the 'normal' delivery will ultimately be paid by the customer, so the customer will be paying more than he used to. For the same service.

If you can't see that as a bad thing, you prolly deserve to get cheated like that.

DO NOTE: With this system, some vendors won't have to pay the extra fee for the 2 day delivery, thus making it unfair for those that need to pay.
On the other side, the delivery company can charge everyone this extra fee and it would be akin to just raising it's normal customer fee indirectly.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 3, 2014 10:41am | Report
^Yeah, that's a more specific one.
And yeah, it's despicable. The US needs competition in the space. GO AWAY CORRUPT POLITICS!

I'm not quite sure people realize that the problem will will affect them, the customers, the most.
"I'm ebolakin. You can refer to me as Ebola-Chan." - Vurtax

"I also am Otherkin. Whenever autumn rolls around I can feel my kin-type slowly taking over my body. You must know, I identify as pumpkin. I can control it pretty good most of the time, but when September ends, I just cant hold it in anymore. Whenever Im outside I see my brothers and sisters being chopped into soup, coffee, donuts, cake, drinks, bread - ppl even cut human faces into their skin, making a mockery out of their noble appearance. When I see things like that I cant control my pumpkin urges anymore. My natural instincts kick in. I then sit down motionless, while getting bright orange." - Morgana L
SkidmarkD
<Member>
SkidmarkD's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 4, 2014 7:31am | Report
Netflix will have to charge it's users more.
People will find it expensive.
Other companies will sprout, offering the roughly the same as Netflix, but at a lower cost, cause the ISP's won't charge them the extra fee.
By the time they have a large enough userbase, the ISP's will notice, charging the extra fee.
And thus the new companies will start charging more.
People will find it expensive.
Rinse and repeat.

Possible outcomes:
- People will get fed up and go back to torrenting.
- Netflix and similar companies will start cutting back costs, delivering an inferior product, while still charging more.
- A new method of streaming is developed to decrease the bandwidth usage. You'll still pay the extra charge, but maybe the quality won't be reduced.

In the end, you'll still be paying more.

And this is just the financial part.

Contracts will be used to 'seal the deal'. In these contracts the ISP's will have the upperhand. They can and will abuse this power.
Just think along the lines of: Allowing/prohibiting certain content.
ISP's that have significant republican backing can force the prohibiting of democratic content, or reduce the bandwidth of such.
ISP's with religious backing can force the prohibing/reduced bandwidth of just about anything they deem 'unworthy'.

Let the mind wander a bit, you'll prolly find many more ways this can have an impact on what used to be the Internet.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 4, 2014 5:58pm | Report
SkidmarkD wrote:

- A new method of streaming is developed to decrease the bandwidth usage. You'll still pay the extra charge, but maybe the quality won't be reduced.

There already is a method of streaming with minimal bandwidth requirements. It's built on the same principle as torrenting. So when the stream is sent to one user that user then sends it to other people watching the stream while he's watching it. The biggest problem is that it requires the user to install a program for it to work. It'd be great if they could integrate it into browsers.
A possible problem is that it only works with live streams, not recorded streams like Netflix. But I don't know.
Quoted:
Let the mind wander a bit, you'll prolly find many more ways this can have an impact on what used to be the Internet.

Yup, net-neutrality will be a likely victim in the process.
"Well, basically you should treat me like a prostitute." - TotalBiscuit
Pheyniex
<Member>
Pheyniex's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 4, 2014 6:14pm | Report
Mooninites wrote:

nigga plis.

As requested to GMD himself.
1 2 3 4

You need to log in before commenting.