Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

American ISPs and how they shaft their customers

Creator: Searz February 25, 2014 11:53am
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 28, 2014 3:14am | Report
[deleted] wrote:

"So, we order something from a company, Netflix, we pay another company to deliver that product to our house, comcast, verizon. That product gets delivered damaged or incomplete, despite being shipped whole and undamaged by Netflix. I believe this situation results in a lawsuit."

You ordered access to online video files, the files are delivered to you in whole but delayed not incomplete and not damaged. No it doesn't result in a lawsuit.

Thank you. Please make this kind of post from the start instead of useless **** like your last comment.

You're right, that's an incorrect analogy.
I think I've got a better one though:
You pay a shipping company extra for them to ship your product to you in 3 days. You get it after 7days.
You're not getting what you're paying for.
DillButt64 wrote:

forcing them to use the money properly would be anti-capitalist, and like asian said its still legal so they can do whatever they want "cuz they can"

and fixing the loopholes takes lots of lawyers and even more money

Oh, you mean giving somebody money to do something and them not doing it then forcing them to do what they were payed to do is anti-capitalist? The more you know...

Even if fixing the holes would cost more, they'd get a fiber infrastructure for that money. And that alone will likely provide plenty of opportunities for companies to make back the money.
"Moral justification is a powerful disengagement mechanism. Destructive conduct is made personally and socially acceptable by portraying it in the service of moral ends." - Albert Bandura

"Ultimately, if people lose their willingness to recognize that there are times in our history when legality becomes distinct from morality, we aren't just ceding control of our rights to government, but our futures." - Edward Snowden
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 28, 2014 2:02pm | Report
Oh hey, look what I found:

Toshabi
<Veteran>
Toshabi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 28, 2014 2:18pm | Report
Did a mod really just blow up a post I made that was a youtube link to a lol internet connection? I totally know who'd be that petty. :3

Also, the shipping service analogy as a whole is a big flop. Stop using it.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 28, 2014 3:01pm | Report
Toshabi wrote:

Also, the shipping service analogy as a whole is a big flop. Stop using it.

Explain yourself please.

DillButt64
<Editor>
DillButt64's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 28, 2014 3:45pm | Report
its anti-capitalist because of the loopholes

also whos going to be the one to sue them? the government or some random person? because i can tell you the random person/group isnt going to win against internet company lawyers
Thanks to TheNamelessBard for the signature
Toshabi
<Veteran>
Toshabi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 28, 2014 5:05pm | Report
Searz wrote:

Explain yourself please.

If one person at the post office is having a bad day, your package will get mistreated. But for the most part, shipping and handling is dependent on the competence of the individual worker, not the company.

ISPs suck, yes, but I find a lot of people's slow connections come from having virused up machines. Either or, I'm paying for 15 mbps and I'm getting 22mbps. I'm not complaining :T
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 28, 2014 5:18pm | Report
Toshabi wrote:

ISPs suck, yes, but I find a lot of people's slow connections come from having virused up machines. Either or, I'm paying for 15 mbps and I'm getting 22mbps. I'm not complaining :T

Well, that's not really the problem here. The problem is traffic congestion. Speed-testing servers generally don't suffer from that.
You didn't watch the video, did you?
"He cooked cake." - MrCuddowls

"Oh forget it, I have nothing to hid, I admit it, 12 hours of every single day of my life ever since I was eleven years old have been anal sex with canoes" - MrCuddowls
Toshabi
<Veteran>
Toshabi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 28, 2014 6:41pm | Report
I'm honestly not seeing how this has anything to do with ISPs and how the comparison can actually be made to the postage industry. At all. Even as an example.

This thread has "Tool" written all over it. At least the topic is something people can get behind on your position without you doing much work. If anything, your responses are starting to make me pro ISP. And that's scary.
IceCreamy wrote:

(1:07): I prefer your balls over ***hol

Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 28, 2014 7:03pm | Report
Toshabi wrote:

I'm honestly not seeing how this has anything to do with ISPs and how the comparison can actually be made to the postage industry. At all. Even as an example.

Not sure if trolling or just silly.

The time it takes for your digital data packages is not the time advertised by the service provider. That's exactly the same as if a physical package would arrive later than the advertised time by the service provider. The only difference being that one is physical and the other is digital.
Quoted:
This thread has "Tool" written all over it. At least the topic is something people can get behind on your position without you doing much work. If anything, your responses are starting to make me pro ISP. And that's scary.

Stop being silly.
""Toshabi took thy **** and strucketh Hotshot in his face 'thou art no god'" Toshabi 3:16" - Toshabi

"And then, TheJohn said something so Brazilian that it made all the Brazilians in Brazil turn to look at him" - Toshabi

"abloobloo ur triggering me" - Toshabi
Toshabi
<Veteran>
Toshabi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 28, 2014 8:31pm | Report
Searz wrote:

Not sure if trolling or just silly.

The time it takes for your digital data packages is not the time advertised by the service provider. That's exactly the same as if a physical package would arrive later than the advertised time by the service provider. The only difference being that one is physical and the other is digital.

Stop being silly.

Searz, if I were you, I'd take an opposing viewpoint to whatever viewpoint you want people to believe in, because debate just ain't your thing.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide