Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Faces to Names

Creator: jhoijhoi May 28, 2011 4:33am
7278 posts - page 606 of 728
Janitsu
<Moderator>
Janitsu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 9, 2014 7:49am | Report
I thought so too :p I thought that it would mess it up but it apparently didn't :D

Thanks to OwenTheAwesomer for the signature =)
OhHellNoo
<Member>
OhHellNoo's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 9, 2014 7:41pm | Report
Janitsu wrote:

dear god fix your signature

Yeah needa work on that one day...
utopus
<Veteran>
utopus's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 9, 2014 8:09pm | Report

It's been a while since i've uploaded a pic of myself; figured it's about time anyways xD
If I helped you out, be sure to throw me a +Rep!
-

My Soraka Guide | My Review Service

Thanks a lot for the sig, jhoi! :)
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
The_Nameless_Bard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 9, 2014 11:15pm | Report
my hair is getting so long .-. when the hell did that happen
R4GE
<Member>
R4GE's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 9, 2014 11:33pm | Report
my hair is getting so long .-. when the hell did that happen

You look better with curly hair, just saying.
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 9, 2014 11:35pm | Report
it's soaking wet and braided. I didn't straighten it or anything.

I just have to sit in a car for ~9 hours tomorrow and it's easier to deal with like this.

I look so weird without my glasses wtf
utopus
<Veteran>
utopus's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 10, 2014 8:46am | Report
Maybe it's because the face you're making looks like this.
If I helped you out, be sure to throw me a +Rep!
-

My Soraka Guide | My Review Service

Thanks for the sig, MissMaw!
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 10, 2014 4:24pm | Report
Sorry for the late response and long post. (you better read this or I'll get pissy :[ )
I own virtual surround sound headphones and I do like the sound it gives. It's really hard to say anything about virtual surround sound headsets in general though, since they all use different techniques and make use of the shape of the insides of the headphones and non-standard software to emulate a surround sound system. Because of this the quality and feel can differ a lot

No, not really.
Virtual surround sound works by setting up a virtual room in which sound is then played. If the source sound is 7.1 surround then there are 7 speakers and one sub-woofer placed around the virtual room. Sound meant for the respective channels is then played up and the reverberation and general effect of the sound source coming from a different place in the room, rather than next to your ear is emulated and then played back through the headphones. This was blatantly obvious from when I simply played a piece of music with the effect turned on. There was clear reverberation after the sound with it on while there was absolutely none with it turned off.
Basically all virtual surround sound has HRTF, but is often gimped by the limitation of a limited number of virtual speakers.
Some games with more advanced audio APIs have proper HRTF implemented, which simulates the same room/environment, but instead of limiting itself to 7+1 speakers it simply emulates it as if there were infinite speakers spread around the room, making for a more true surround experience. Here's some light reading on HRTF.

You can't change the direction of sound from a speaker without physically moving it, so having sound coming from different angles in a single driver(speaker) is ********. The shape of the headphones should have minimal impact on virtual surround sound.
Quoted:
I think you might be talking about "real" surround sound headphones, headphones that contain as much physical speakers as they have channels.

I'm talking about both, but mainly headphones with multiple drivers. The reasons for the reduced quality are different for them though. Virtual distorts sound while hardware has several smaller drivers, often making for a.. less great overall audio quality.
And if you actually think about it a little you'll realize that all sound we hear is received from just two sources(our ears), so why would we ever need more than two drivers in a pair of headphones?
Quoted:
since I'm happy with my virtual surround sound headphones (which rely, among others, on drivers to emulate) and I like to run GNU/Linux, I'll go for "real" surround sound headphones next time so that I won't have to rely on the manufacturer to write decent software. Without drivers the virtual surround sound headphones will just work as stereo headphones by the way.

No, they don't rely on drivers. They rely on software (which should be evident from the things I wrote above). There are plenty of ways to get virtual surround sound in your headphones, none of which rely on a specific set of headphones.
There's virtual surround sound emulation built into most drivers and subsystems and even if it's not you can likely just add it through some kind of application. Razer has one, most headsets are bundled with Dolby's version, and Creative also has a version.
In Windows 7 you can just right-click on the sound icon in the notification area and click on "Playback devices", then go to the properties for your currently selected audio output (green icon), go to the "Enhancements" tab and check "Headphone Virtualization".
Here's a guide for Linux. It is from 2009, but it should hopefully involve a similar procedure. I'm sure you could find some newer info too if you went looking.
Quoted:
We could speculatively say virtual surround sound headphones have worse sound quality in virtual surround sound mode, which I think would be plausible. In return, though, you can(though it differs from set to set, from ear to ear) get a somewhat surround-sound like experience. I can really hear the difference in direction of all the channels with my set of headphones, and they were pretty cheap. So in the end it comes down to preference I guess.

No. If we define quality as a measure of distortion and how close to the source material the sound is then we can conclusively say that virtual surround sound effects (not headphones, it's software, not hardware) reduce the sound quality. Because virtual surround sound distorts the sound to emulate space.
That said, such distortion can be good if done well. But most implementations are not done well. They color the sound, change it in ways they shouldn't, making for a sub-par audio experience. There is a blurb about that in the HRTF link I posted.

Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 10, 2014 4:35pm | Report
Does logitech make amazing gaming products? no.
Do they make reasonably priced, easily accessible, and durable products? yes.

That's a flawed query.
The question should be "Does Logitech make good headsets?" and I would answer: No. Regardless of price-range.
That is all.
And don't think I have something against Logitech(although their keyboards are pretty bad too), they make great mice. They've made the best mouse I've ever used: the G400 (same design as MX518).

Headsets to look at instead are - as previously stated - ones from Sennheiser and Corsair (tho stay away from wireless headsets). Qpad partners with good companies (Takstar/Beyerdynamic), but are only available in the north. Kingston partners with whatever is popular, resulting in mixed quality, but their HyperX Cloud is top-class since it was based on such a good source.
Quoted:
I'm a klutz and I kill cheap headsets. MURDER THEM. I killed 3 in the last year and a half. $150 down the toilet for the three of 'em. The two plantronics ones I had maybe lasted 4-6 months a piece..

No, you 'kill' fragile headsets.
Yeah. Plantronics do make some pretty fragile headsets. I've owned a pair and they had okay comfort and sound for their 50$ price, but broke within a year, and I'm pretty careful with my stuff.

But the funny thing is, you don't even need to go much higher in price to get a FAR better product.
You can get a good headset for as little as 70-100$ right now.
And not only far better, but you can even get a far more durable headset. A headset with metal construction.

Let me tell you a little story

"Doing something, almost being done, then parents come in and don't let you finish.
Yes, I had a rough childhood." - devdevil
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 10, 2014 6:37pm | Report
I like my Logitech gaming mouse a lot (I have the g500s). and the g430 headset has metal construction, unless I misunderstood your meaning.

I'll look into something else when I need to replace this one, but with the problems my old laptop had and my second plantronics headset having broken without warning, I didn't have time to look much. I needed a usb headset that wasn't insanely expensive that I could buy instantly and this fit the bill.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide