Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

[Joxuu's Project, Open Thread] - Creating RPG Game

Creator: Joxuu June 1, 2014 7:55pm
1 2 3 4 5
lifebaka
<Member>
lifebaka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 17, 2014 10:42pm | Report
Not a clue. But if you want to build a game, I'm not sure that you want to be starting with art. Art's can be added/changed later in the process. I'm using an orange block labeled "Dev Texture" for all my enemies so far, because a far-from-exhaustive search of RPG Maker resources didn't find anything even vaguely like what I needed, much less what I needed in the same art style as the rest of the resources I've been using so far.

Dive into the part of the design where you're building the game and just build the game. Build in placeholders for where you're going to put cutscenes and the like, but don't worry too much about actually doing cutscenes, much less animated movies, for now. Focus on major decisions, like how you want the battle system to function, who your supporting cast are, when and where you meet them (narratively and geographically). Work on the plot, work on the systems, work on the levels. And keep art in mind during them, but don't worry too much about nailing the art yet. You can change it all later, and you'll almost certainly want to.

For my game, I've got a pretty good idea of what my first two levels are going to look like in the abstract, and I know what the purpose of the third level is going to be (gotta' get that fourth character fast) even though I've got no idea what it's going to be or look like yet. I've got some idea what my (first?) four characters do and who they are, I know how I'm balancing starting level weapons and armor, I've got the combat at the start of the game flowing about how I want it to, I've nearly finished the first level entirely (just need to sit down and actually build the boss fight plus another map for said boss fight to take place in and put down some cursory stuff for a cutscene going into it), I've got more weapons than I'm using yet, and a lot more ideas about how to play with my system than I'm using yet. I've got a basic idea of what my plot is, what themes I want to express (struggling against the identity that others attempt to force upon you), and the tone that I want the game to have overall (dada-esque absurdity).

Things I don't have include final art assets for anything. Hell, I'm barely even using any art assets other than the ones that come standard in RPG Maker VX Ace, except the single color-block placeholder battler and a few tiles from some of the DLC that came in the bundle. And pretty much all of the art I have I consider replaceable. Honestly, I expect to replace nearly all of it later, once I'm further along, have a really good idea of what I'm going to need, and am more willing to actually talk to an artist.

To give you a totally different answer to your question, I'm not sure that you need much of an opening cutscene.

Here's basically my entire opening cutscene

This gets across everything I need it to in just five words. You know what's going on. You don't know why it's important, but you don't need to. You have no idea who is attacking you, or why, or even who you are, but you don't need to know any of that. You still know what's going on and what you need to do. And I only used five words in a single textbox in a single event.

(I've got more screenshots in an imgur album here. I'll update it more later, maybe.)
OTGBionicArm wrote: Armored wimminz = badass.

My posts may be long. If this bothers you, don't read them.
Joxuu
<Fabulous>
Joxuu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 18, 2014 1:51am | Report
But I want it :(

Thanks for the tips. I guess I'll make it later but it's still
a problem I'll have to get solved.

"A person giving you advice isn't perfect and has their own shortcomings but they may give you the piece that you're missing."
Joxuu
<Fabulous>
Joxuu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 19, 2014 9:00am | Report
Minor update;

* Visualized the spawn and surroundings. I got a grip of how I want the spawn to look like.
* I've got idea for basic systems (How battle system works and looks)
* Got a idea for the main character, surroundings and few next steps.

Coming back with some screenshots next time.

"A person giving you advice isn't perfect and has their own shortcomings but they may give you the piece that you're missing."
1 2 3 4 5

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide