Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Judge beats daughter

Creator: screwblum November 2, 2011 7:33pm
113 posts - page 7 of 12
Toshabi
<Veteran>
Toshabi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 5, 2011 6:44pm | Report
Luther3000 wrote:

Just because it's happened in the past doesn't make it right.

What if a government decided to treat its' people in that way, using pain to stop behavior deemed unacceptable?

Taxes.
IceCreamy wrote:

(1:07): I prefer your balls over ***hol

Luther3000
<Sharpshooter>
Luther3000's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 5, 2011 6:45pm | Report
Lololol.

Too true.
Temzilla
<Member>
Temzilla's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 6, 2011 1:18am | Report
Stergioss wrote:

Trolls are being 'born' because 'parents' hit their children, thus making the kids to 'stack up' anger which is slowly released on everyone they find. Hitting a child is not punishment. When i used to be a kid my mother NEVER hit me. She told me hitting kids is wrong. She has a PHD in human Phycology. When you want to punish a kid you want the kid to UNDERSTAND why that action was bad. By hitting a kid it only understands that Action = Getting hit (Pain[Not pleasant]) . Hitting a kid makes it Tanky and fearless? I LAUGHED SO HARD! I've got a friend who was never hit in his life. He downhills. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIe6hYAdw_I. Try doing that if you 'are beaten and hardcore'. You'd have problem just walking down.

Your mother studies algae? That's very interesting, but i don't think it's relevant.

REAL Psychologists will tell you that corporal punishment is an effective teaching method, and it was only pushed aside because behaviorists say that reward can be as effective as punishment as a teaching method.

When you punish a child, you need to make them understand that it is a bad thing, like you said.

You can:

1. Punish physically.
2. Explain that it is wrong.
3. Explain that it is wrong, then when they get it wrong the second time, you punish them physically.

3 is by far the most effective form of punishment, any psychologist who isn't wildly radical would agree.

The main reason i feel that this is the case, is that a child doesn't have a moral code, or an inhibition, or a set of implicit rules that they live their lives by.

Children learn their morals and rules, and you have to teach good morals and rules to them.

They don't understand when something is important when you give it as much meaning as anything else.

You can tell someone about something all you want, but unless you make it important, it won't stick.

Some people can verbally make things important, some people make things important by marking them with the crack of a belt or a wooden spoon.

It's not "bad" or "worse" it's different.

And "beating" is much different than being punished.
Tri lane for life.
Stergioss
<Member>
Stergioss's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 6, 2011 7:07pm | Report
GrimmFate wrote:

Why would I have a problem walking down that hill? :o

I can't tell if you have some sort of indignation towards this subject or not. Either way What does that story about your friend have to do with anything you lost me.

Pain = not pleasant = When you do that action again your brain remembers that pain = You don't want to do that action again.

People have used it to treat addiction problems in Russia forever. It works quite well, Very high success rate.

I think that you didn't watch the youtube video did 'ya? Downhill is a sport. You 'simply' get a bike, get on top of a hill, then run down with no brakes and then call these scared cats...oh well...i was about to type a whole paragraph but (thank god) Temzilla got me :P. +1 on his post.

Just my opinion.
Remember to +Rep me if I was helpful.

Signature was removed due to extreme awesomeness
Nighthawk
<Veteran>
Nighthawk's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 6, 2011 7:11pm | Report
^ pretty much agree.

If a kid is afraid of doing something, they won't do it.

Why do you think Ancient rulers (and modern too) were so successful in suppressing and well...ruling people?

Julius Caesar, for example, was extremely successful as a ruler because of the right mix of fear and kindness.

Sometimes its better to beat your kids then say 'dont do this again or blahblahblah'.

Sometimes its better to say 'dont do this'.

Discretion and your opinion matters a lot.

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

Meow?
Acid Reigns
<Member>
Acid Reigns's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 6, 2011 7:14pm | Report
You do not teach a child what is right and wrong by abuse, it's just a bad way of doing things. It WILL psychologically damage them. If you cannot understand why, then I don't think you will regardless of what you are told, so I'm not gonna bother explaining it.

Think about it, what happens to a dog when you abuse it? Does it learn? NO, it turns into a nasty, violent creature that attacks anything it sees except it's master.

I've met many people who were abused (some badly, some very little) and it has left them with emotional scars. Even my girlfriend has some emotional problems, and gets violent with people at times, because of ONE TIME her father took a belt to her.

Things like this leave people emotionally scarred, and can drastically alter their life.

Also, punishing a child (regardless of the means) means absolutley nothing if they don't learn anything. You have to teach your kids about what's wrong, not simply scare them into not doing it.
Temzilla
<Member>
Temzilla's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 6, 2011 7:40pm | Report

You do not teach a child what is right and wrong by abuse.

Yes, you teach them what is right and wrong through reinforcement.

If you are trying to say that being spanked, or being belted is "abuse" then our society has some major problems. Namely, the entire generation of abused children that had a bunch of kids that they then passed the psychological aftereffects of said abuse on to.

Abuse is wrong, but i watched the video, and that was far from "abuse".

The Federal Child Abuse Prevention and Treatment Act defines the minimums for abuse as follows.
Quoted:

* Any recent act or failure to act on the part of a parent or caretaker which results in death, serious physical or emotional harm, sexual abuse or exploitation; or

* An act or failure to act which presents an imminent risk of serious harm.

Quoted:

Physical abuse is nonaccidental physical injury.

Quoted:

Physical discipline, such as spanking or paddling, is not considered abuse as long as it is reasonable and causes no bodily injury to the child.

If we can clearly agree that this incident was not a "beating", and was not "abuse", then can we all just get the hell over it?

The argument should be whether or not he should have punished her, not that he was abusing her.

If you want the father to be looked upon as a bad person, you have to justify her actions, not convict his actions.
Tri lane for life.
Luther3000
<Sharpshooter>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 6, 2011 7:44pm | Report
^ Like I said, almost everyone on the planet has illegally download music at some point.

Maybe this is just because my parents are fairly liberal and laid back, and so didn't do any of this ****, but I don't think there's ever really an excuse to beat a child.

Shout at them if you want, but really, **** that.
Temzilla
<Member>
Temzilla's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 6, 2011 7:52pm | Report
Luther3000 wrote:

^ Like I said, almost everyone on the planet has illegally download music at some point.

Maybe this is just because my parents are fairly liberal and laid back, and so didn't do any of this ****, but seriously, I don't think there's ever really an excuse to beat a child.

Shout at them if you want, but seriously, **** that.

This video is 7~ years old.

Thats 2005/2004.

In 2004, downloading music illegally could RUIN YOUR LIFE.

This man was a STATE JUDGE.

HIS LIFE WOULD BE %100 RUINED if someone found out that he had illegal music on his computer.

You have to keep in mind that this is NOT this girls PRIVATE computer, it is the father's private computer.

He had previously TOLD her that she isn't allowed to install p2p clients on his personal computer.

She then disobeys him several times, and installs p2p clients on his person computer.

The mother, and father make it clear before even hitting her that "This is serious, and we need you to know this". and then they punish her.

They do NOT "beat" her, nor do they "abuse" her.

They are physically punishing her, within the arm of the law, and with prior warning.

You can't say that the man is wrong because he punished her too harshly without first considering the context.
Tri lane for life.
Luther3000
<Sharpshooter>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 6, 2011 7:58pm | Report
Temzilla wrote:

This video is 7~ years old.

Thats 2005/2004.

I dooon't caaaare.

Temzilla wrote:
In 2004, downloading music illegally could RUIN YOUR LIFE.

This man was a STATE JUDGE.

HIS LIFE WOULD BE %100 RUINED if someone found out that he had illegal music on his computer.

Still not caring.

Temzilla wrote:
You have to keep in mind that this is NOT this girls PRIVATE computer, it is the father's private computer.

He had previously TOLD her that she isn't allowed to install p2p clients on his personal computer.

She then disobeys him several times, and installs p2p clients on his person computer.

The mother, and father make it clear before even hitting her that "This is serious, and we need you to know this". and then they punish her.

Better ways of doing it. I obviously did bad things when I was younger, and I never needed a physical punishment. My parents telling me how disappointed they were, shouting or not paying any attention to me was always enough to make me realize what I had done was wrong and feel bad about it.

Quoted:
They do NOT "beat" her, nor do they "abuse" her.

They are physically punishing her, within the arm of the law, and with prior warning.

Funny because that's exactly how I've always defined beating.

Temzilla wrote:
You can't say that the man is wrong because he punished her too harshly without first considering the context.

Just did. Come at me bro.

Corporal punishment is no longer legal in schools. **** the law; if the law said that you had to jump off a cliff, would you do it? Nosiree.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide