Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's first Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! šŸ†
's Forum Avatar

Manga/Anime You Read/Watch

Creator: Jebus McAzn February 20, 2011 6:30pm
3336 posts - page 144 of 334
lifebaka
<Member>
lifebaka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 29, 2013 9:08am | Report
Searz wrote:

I feel like this is a pretty good watch.
I agree with most of it, but I do not - like he does - love the tropes and strange characteristics of many anime. I feel like I could do without those.
I personally would like for it to get bigger, so that I can feel less awkward starting a conversation about manga or anime in real life.

I feel like he didn't talk enough about the perception of anime in Japan itself and focused too much on the western views of anime. Which makes his argument a lot weaker, since Japan tends to be incredibly insular and make decisions based only upon Japan and not so much the rest of the world. And the perception of anime inside of Japan, as far as I can tell, is that it's still a thing for children and otaku. Which is going to mean that the status quo, in terms of how "mature" anime is, is likely to continue for at least the next several years. As he says, it'll take more than just Shingeki no Kyojin to change perceptions of anime, and I think they have to change inside Japan before they can change elsewhere.

As far as the existence of tropes goes, I don't think there's much we can do about it. Anime is, really, created for a Japanese audience. It therefore uses Japanese tropes. The fact that the tropes are Japanese is what makes anime hard to get into for a western audience, not the fact that tropes are used. Tropes are everywhere in everything, they provide the baseline context from which we can understand a story, and without them we'd be unable to construct real meanings inside of stories. The tropes are here to stay, for better or worse.

Those of us who watch a lot of anime get kinda' used to these tropes, and seeing as a lot of them aren't ever used in western media, I understand what Gigguk is getting at when he says he kinda' gets withdrawal if he doesn't watch anime for a while. (Except the short skirts. I would ****ing KILL for more knee-length skirts in anime.) Once we get used to a set of tropes and storytelling conventions, it's hard to watch/read/whatever stuff that doesn't use those tropes and conventions. And after trying for a while, you really just want the comfort of the more familiar tropes.
OTGBionicArm wrote: Armored wimminz = badass.

My posts may be long. If this bothers you, don't read them.
Bludes
<Member>
Bludes's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 29, 2013 10:25am | Report
Have you got favourite Anime .gifs? :3
I like this one. :D
YayaFTW
<Altruistic Artist>
YayaFTW's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 29, 2013 10:36am | Report

Plastic nee-san never ceases to amaze me.
Bioalchemist
<Editor>
Bioalchemist's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 29, 2013 10:40am | Report
Searz wrote:

I agree with most of it, but I do not - like he does - love the tropes and strange characteristics of many anime. I feel like I could do without those.
I personally would like for it to get bigger, so that I can feel less awkward starting a conversation about manga or anime in real life.

its all about balance. i feel like if it can grow into the mainstream, while holding onto the things that make it what it is i would be all for it. i always worry that when you try to appeal to the masses you end up watering it down into a lump of unoriginal ****...mainly because the mainstream is narrow minded and can't appreciate originality and something that actually has a story/comedy/action and oh yeah makes you think a little. i do admit that the mainstream does seem to be interested in starting to open up to fantasy related elements and such so maybe it is ready to accept it...but i would probably give it some more time. i have been pleasantly surprised at how widespread titan has been...maybe it will open the door further.

Thanks to jhoijhoi for my signature!

Bludes
<Member>
Bludes's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 29, 2013 10:45am | Report
this :3
YayaFTW
<Altruistic Artist>
YayaFTW's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 30, 2013 11:23am | Report
Searz wrote:

Guilty crown soundtrack is dope.

On a more serious note, I don't really care about the fact whether anime can/should become mainstream or not. In fact, I fear that if anime becomes popular in the west, upcoming anime won't have much of the japanese culture aspect (rice, chopsticks, futon, sei***u etc) in order to help the west adapt to/cope with it with ease.
Bioalchemist
<Editor>
Bioalchemist's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 30, 2013 11:42am | Report
^ yeah that scares me also...and the Japanese culture aspect is part of why i like anime...soooooo

Thanks to Hogopogo for my signature!

XeresAce
<Member>
XeresAce's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 30, 2013 8:31pm | Report
Quoted:
Aside from that, I'm not a fan of AMVs or whatsover, but I came across one of the sickest Monogatari Series editing I've ever seen.

Woot that video got second place in akross 2013, definitely an awesome one

People need to watch AMVs more :3

EDIT: Just to make it clear, AMV's help me alot with picking out which show to watch but some amvs can be misleading xD
*cough*
cookie cookie
annd
cookie cookie
*cough*
Thanks to GrandmasterD for the sig!
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 31, 2013 2:33am | Report
XeresAce wrote:

cookie cookie

Hoooly ****. How much of that does the anime really contain? Is there blood/murder, but most importantly; are there sex scenes? O.o
Google has a job title called "Head of Black Community Engagement"..
I don't know whether to cry or laugh.. or both.
MrCuddowls
<Member>
MrCuddowls's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 31, 2013 8:53am | Report
Searz wrote:

Hoooly ****. How much of that does the anime really contain? Is there blood/murder, but most importantly; are there sex scenes? O.o

No blood or murder
No sex scenes (although even I wish there was)
Some ecchi elements

Anyway, this is by far the best AMV you can find on youtube.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide