Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Manga/Anime You Read/Watch

Creator: Jebus McAzn February 20, 2011 6:30pm
3336 posts - page 270 of 334
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 14, 2014 2:49pm | Report
XeresAce wrote:
ACTUALLY in Tokyo Ghoul there was some contrast added later on

Doesn't matter.
If a series actually achieves the feat of not making me give a **** about the main character in the first 10chapters then it has completely failed as a piece of entertainment.
Quoted:
I still think this would've been a great story if it was from Rize's perspective, considering how she seemingly had a lot of stuff going on around her.

It's a possibility, but the skill of the author does not shine through in what I've read, so I doubt he would pull off something worthwhile.
"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens
XeresAce
<Member>
XeresAce's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 14, 2014 3:14pm | Report
Searz wrote:

Doesn't matter.
If a series actually achieves the feat of not making me give a **** about the main character in the first 10chapters then it has completely failed as a piece of entertainment.

Fair enough

Searz wrote:
It's a possibility, but the skill of the author does not shine through in what I've read, so I doubt he would pull off something worthwhile.

Maybeeeeee if Gen Urobuchi made a spinoff? haha I can dream
Thanks to GrandmasterD for the sig!
lifebaka
<Member>
lifebaka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 14, 2014 6:30pm | Report
Searz wrote:
I dislike AgK!, you don't? (granted, I read the manga, but still) I thought it was just extremely shallow and did the serious elements very flimsily, like with most things. It was just really shallow and flimsy in general. There's like zero thought involved in the fights; all flash no substance.

I can't really argue with any of that, honestly. It's not so much that I think the series is actually good, but it certainly excels at a particular style of absurdist situational humor that I'm very fond of. The way it juxtoposes certain elements is a lot of fun. I'm mostly watching to get those things, and because I'm having fun without having to think too hard about what I'm watching. Watching through some mediocre fight scenes isn't that big a deal to get some of the great stuff between them.

I probably overstated how well it handles its dark elements, though. It's not so much that AgK actually does dark well, it's more that it does dark-looking things without shoving my face into them too much and juxtoposes those elements well with others elements of very different tones, generally resulting in situations that can't be taken seriously due to their completely absurd nature. And I'm really digging that, so I'm willing to overlook a lot of flaws.
OTGBionicArm wrote: Armored wimminz = badass.

My posts may be long. If this bothers you, don't read them.
xIchi
<Member>
xIchi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 15, 2014 12:45am | Report
^word
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 15, 2014 5:21am | Report
lifebaka wrote:
I can't really argue with any of that, honestly. It's not so much that I think the series is actually good, but it certainly excels at a particular style of absurdist situational humor that I'm very fond of. The way it juxtoposes certain elements is a lot of fun. I'm mostly watching to get those things, and because I'm having fun without having to think too hard about what I'm watching. Watching through some mediocre fight scenes isn't that big a deal to get some of the great stuff between them.

I probably overstated how well it handles its dark elements, though. It's not so much that AgK actually does dark well, it's more that it does dark-looking things without shoving my face into them too much and juxtoposes those elements well with others elements of very different tones, generally resulting in situations that can't be taken seriously due to their completely absurd nature. And I'm really digging that, so I'm willing to overlook a lot of flaws.

Fair enough. But at least you're not going around calling it good, unlike some other people I won't name.. :P

My "gooooan" reaction to the series might also have to do with the fact that it's a shallow, flimsy harem-in-disguise. I generally prefer substance over flash, (hence why I adore Shingeki no Kyojin so much despite the bad art) and I've never been a fan of the harem genre seeing as it's often a big blob of fan service, low self-respect and next to no plot development.
Here's an interesting video on the topic of harems.
xIchi wrote:
^word

Wow, what an intelligent contribution to this thread! You, sir, deserve a medal.
"Gold can't buy you rape." - Mr Sark
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 15, 2014 5:28am | Report
Oh, and speaking of Shingeki no Kyojin, WE NOW KNOW WHAT HAPPENED TO HIS DAD.

I was literally like "*GASP*, oh my god... Oh my goooooooooood".
I did not see this coming.
But now that I know what happened all the foreshadowing becomes clear. It kinda feels like I should have predicted this. I did predict another pretty big twist before, but this one definitely caught me unaware.
""Toshabi took thy **** and strucketh Hotshot in his face 'thou art no god'" Toshabi 3:16" - Toshabi

"And then, TheJohn said something so Brazilian that it made all the Brazilians in Brazil turn to look at him" - Toshabi

"abloobloo ur triggering me" - Toshabi
xIchi
<Member>
xIchi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 15, 2014 7:05am | Report
Yeah I do!

Edit:

To get back on track.
After dropping the TG Manga (I just forgot where I was and was too lazy to read it up again), the last 30 chapters were somewhat boring that I didn't even read everything but skimmed through most parts.
The whole ending didn't really move me in any way. It actually took me 10 chapters to realize that this was one huge battle and all the 'feelings' of people/friends/colleagues dying weren't touching at all.

The start of TG:re (2nd Season of the Manga) wasn't really convincing either. Mangaka here tried to jump into the story, leaving the reader wondering where the past characters are, which did not work that well.
Basically, a time skip, new characters, who will be focused until the old main characters appear again.

And since I talk more about Mangas than Animes, I will just continue.
Similar to lifebaka I read most new updates on batoto/mangafox(yeah I still sometimes use this), unless it's one of those shoujo spams (srsly, it's all the same stuff with different title. Even the same artstyle). If you search for Shoujo and Shounen or Seinen, Shoujo will triple the results lol.
Will try to include a lifebaka-esque comment to clarify my opinion on them.

Kakegurui (Shounen):
A story about a school where hirachy is decided by your ability to gamble (is that actually an ability?). Sounds pretty ******ed, is indeed ******ed. As shounen is the only tag for this (yet), it tells it's story pretty much like any other shounen.
Boy suddenly comes into a an unfortunate situation, is then confrontend with some weird stuff / weirdo and thus saved. As of now the reasons for that weirdo winning the gambles are not really good and the reader can't really solve them simply by following. So this is, if it gets the mistery tag, bad.
meh-shounen/10

Akai Mi Hajiketa (Romance, Seinen):
The tags sound promising. A Seinen with Romance, no Comedy/Harem. First chapter wasn't convincing at all and I have no idea what this is about. Rather have a kinda incest vibe going, since she admires her uncle so much.
But then what's about that boy in the bus at the beginning.. ehh..
not enough to know what is going on, yet/10

Dead Tube (Adult, Ecchi, Horror, Mature, Mystery, Shounen):
Those tags, that teaser chapter. Oh god this sounds like ****. Adult/Ecchi/Mature/Horror combined with Mystery/Shounen???
Does that even work? Will be a blatant gory 'game'-manga. Even more blatant than the gore in TG in the anime?
generic gore shounen/10

Omaera Zenin Mendokusai! (Comedy, Harem, Romance, School Life):
Young teacher with his girl student harem.
Obviously, he is totally oblivious and unsure what to do. I think I found this because of the author (Tobi) who also did Okujou Hime (some Drama/Romance).
Judging from those 2 works, it's nothing new, nothing outstanding. I just liked the artstyle, cause it was similar to the Manga artsyle of 'Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai'.
who ever likes harem go ahead/10

Mayonaka no X Giten (Mature, Mystery, Seinen, Supernatural):
A boy wants to be a girl cause he thinks it is easier to life as a girl.
He ends up raging bout it on his blog and a reader commented a way for him to become one.
Later at night the MC actually tries it after argueing with his sister (obviously about who has it easier in life) and ends up in an idol's body and found out some secrets of hers, but also how strong a girl is and the fear she feels.
But when he comes back into his body, he realizes that someone used his body to murder his sister.
Has a kinda interesting start, then goes into one generic shounen trap after another lol...Why is this even labeled Seinen.
mystery and murders + bodyswapping/10

Hero Waltz (Comedy, Fantasy, Mystery, Romance, Sci-Fi, Shounen, Supernatural, Tragedy):
A webtoon about a boy who is one of 8 children born as super heroes.
He is being monitored by his surrounding, even his sister and pretends to be an airhead boy who is a bread shuttle for the bullies at his school.
Until a girl, that transfered to his school, follows him and sees him beating up those thugs (and then erasing their memories). She proposes to keep it a secret, if he goes out with her.
Not sure what to think of this, as it is only 3 chapters. Also, the translater is in dire need so updates will take some time I guess.
interesting MC and main Heroine/10

World Customize Creator (Adventure, Fantasy, Shounen):
A NEET is teleported into a gamelike world. His black hair and dark eyes make, as the prophecy says, the ultimate evil.
Basically a OP MC (power to create anything/change any object) thrown into a medival fantasy world that is at the brink of war.
Can read, will probably get an anime (got that feel), but isn't anything to get hyped over.
op-mc shounen/10 (had a lot of that lately, MKNR?)

Aka Akatoretachi No Monogatari (Action, Adventure, Ecchi, Seinen, Supernatural):
By now you noticed that I actually look at tags and try to evaluate based on them first before I read.
These tags seemed like something I do not like (Ecchi). But the 2 other factors for me to not like it were missing (Harem/Romance). So at least I wanted to see if the Ecchi part is used as 'plot'.
Surprisingly, it was used a bit as fanservice and later to aggravate the MC (basically slight NTR).
In the first 20 Chapters (that are released, I actually read through them quite fast), there is already a major plottwist and the actual Manga seems to start here.
Mindless vampire slaughtering for revenge/10 ??
lifebaka
<Member>
lifebaka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 15, 2014 9:29am | Report
Searz wrote:
My "gooooan" reaction to the series might also have to do with the fact that it's a shallow, flimsy harem-in-disguise. I generally prefer substance over flash, (hence why I adore Shingeki no Kyojin so much despite the bad art) and I've never been a fan of the harem genre seeing as it's often a big blob of fan service, low self-respect and next to no plot development.
Here's an interesting video on the topic of harems.

The harem trope is getting more obvious as it goes, unfortunately. And although I watch and enjoy ****ty harem anime, it's going to totally screw up some of AgK's fun juxtapositions. But hey, maybe it'll throw a curveball and people will die when I don't expect them to. (Or maybe it won't, I called the Esdeath romance weeks before it happened in the anime.)

There're two other anime I've now seen the first episode of:

Girl Friend Beta (or Kari) is totally a fanservice show. Don't let the synopsis fool you, though, there seem to be exactly zero male characters in this show and I don't think this is a show about lesbians. So basically a cute-girls-doing-cute-things show. Which I'm not sure it's actually terribly good at that, because the characters so far are strange and I don't really care about any of them, except the one French transfer student with super-cringe-worthy "I am Japanese talk bad" voice acting. I'm probably going to keep at this, but I watch bad anime and no one should be like me.
Official lifebakaTM Rating: How do I mine for girlfriend? / 10

Nanatsu no Taizai is the Seven Deadly Sins anime mentioned earlier. Shonen with a very bubbly art style. Probably going to spend a bunch of episodes building the party, then have a showdown with the Bad GuysTM, then end without actually addressing any of the Bad ThingsTM the Bad GuysTM did. And there's a talking pig, because reasons. I'm enjoying it, in that turn-your-brain-off-don't-think-too-hard kinda' way.
Official lifebakaTM Rating: Fun and probably shallow / 10
OTGBionicArm wrote: Armored wimminz = badass.

My posts may be long. If this bothers you, don't read them.
xIchi
<Member>
xIchi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 15, 2014 11:16am | Report
About Nanatsui no Tazai.
The Manga is at about 90+ Chapters and the last (7th) sin wasn't even introduced, yet.
This shounen is aiming to become something like the longer ones.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 15, 2014 2:54pm | Report
lifebaka wrote:
Nanatsu no Taizai is the Seven Deadly Sins anime mentioned earlier. Shonen with a very bubbly art style. Probably going to spend a bunch of episodes building the party, then have a showdown with the Bad GuysTM, then end without actually addressing any of the Bad ThingsTM the Bad GuysTM did. And there's a talking pig, because reasons. I'm enjoying it, in that turn-your-brain-off-don't-think-too-hard kinda' way.
Official lifebakaTM Rating: Fun and probably shallow / 10
xIchi wrote:
About Nanatsui no Tazai.
The Manga is at about 90+ Chapters and the last (7th) sin wasn't even introduced, yet.
This shounen is aiming to become something like the longer ones.

Yeah, I've read all of it. It's a decent Shounen. The fights are very shallow, the power levels are all over the place, but it does have a nice helping of humor and some interesting characters, so it does manage to entertain me. It is just as you said baka, a solid no-thinking piece of entertainment.
"He cooked cake." - MrCuddowls

"Oh forget it, I have nothing to hid, I admit it, 12 hours of every single day of my life ever since I was eleven years old have been anal sex with canoes" - MrCuddowls

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide