Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Official Happy thread.

Creator: Nighthawk September 9, 2011 1:14pm
2055 posts - page 158 of 206
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 30, 2016 11:00am | Report
Quoted:
Why are you gonna study that?

Because it's a pretty cool language to be able to speak, and is also incredibly useful as I'm studying to become some kind of an east-asia expert (or at least that's the idea)
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
The_Nameless_Bard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 30, 2016 11:18am | Report
It's one of the most spoken languages in the world anyways.
Janitsu
<Moderator>
Janitsu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 30, 2016 12:09pm | Report
Vynertje wrote:

Because it's a pretty cool language to be able to speak, and is also incredibly useful as I'm studying to become some kind of an east-asia expert (or at least that's the idea)

also basically this:
http://www.theguardian.com/education/2014/sep/04/what-happens-to-the-brain-language-learning

Thanks to OwenTheAwesomer for the signature =)
Vynertje
<Guide Critic>
Vynertje's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 30, 2016 1:05pm | Report
It's one of the most spoken languages in the world anyways.

The other side of the coin is that it's only spoken in China, however. It's usefulness is very limited unless you're really planning to do something in China.

Yes, that's a nice side effect :)
Vapora Dark
<Perfectionist>
Vapora Dark's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 30, 2016 1:24pm | Report
Too lazy to read the entire thing, but are the actual benefits? I saw and already knew that it increases brain size, but does it do anything else? IIRC Albert Einstein's brain was no bigger than the average human's so I was under the impression that brain size is actually irrelevant. Are there any actual benefits to the changes your brain undergoes when learning another language, or is it just a "wow cool my brain is bigger!" kinda thing?
Janitsu
<Moderator>
Janitsu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 30, 2016 2:15pm | Report
Too lazy to read the entire thing, but are the actual benefits? I saw and already knew that it increases brain size, but does it do anything else? IIRC Albert Einstein's brain was no bigger than the average human's so I was under the impression that brain size is actually irrelevant. Are there any actual benefits to the changes your brain undergoes when learning another language, or is it just a "wow cool my brain is bigger!" kinda thing?

If memory serves, it also increases the amount of synapses in the brain (or actually regenerates those which were lost when you didn't learn the language as the child) and increases the folding of the brain. Both increase reaction timing and folding is linked to cognitive skills and actual intelligence. The absolute size of the brain has been proven to have correlation with intelligence.

If I recall, your brain basically has all the neurons and synapses needed for any action humanly possible as a child. Then you have "critical periods" (straight translation from Finnish) when you have to learn it (speaking at the age of 3-5, driving a bike at ages 5-7, writing and reading 5-8) or the synapses and neurons that aren't needed will just simply face apoptosis. It's harder to learn those outside of the critical periods because the brain has to create them again from a scratch.

Thanks to OwenTheAwesomer for the signature =)
Jovy
<Admin>
Jovy's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 30, 2016 2:42pm | Report
Not worth it man, languages suck. Ich spreche drei Sprachen и мрзим сва три.

by jhoijhoi
TheRedPenguin
<Inhouse Regular>
TheRedPenguin's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 30, 2016 3:36pm | Report
*** languages. i spek meme.
Embracing
<Crowd Favorite>
Embracing's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 30, 2016 4:52pm | Report
i highly recommend studying languages as it really helps you to become a more well-rounded knowledgeable person on different cultures. props to you for learning chinese (mandarin).

If you have any questions feel free to ask. I'm fluent and willing to help
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 30, 2016 8:15pm | Report
Quoted:
Not worth it man, languages suck. Ich spreche drei Sprachen и мрзим сва три.

Yup. The only reason to ever learn a new language is if you plan on living in a country where it is spoken.
If not: just get really good at English (including grammar), and your native language (if not English). That's all you'll ever really have much use of.
Sittin' on chimneys, putting fire up my ***.

"I biked 12km in a blizzard today and mice are chewing on my chocolate bars. Life's good."

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide