Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Official hearthstone thread

Creator: Pølsemanden December 8, 2013 1:59pm
1091 posts - page 14 of 110
Wayne3100
<Retired Admin>
Wayne3100's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 14, 2013 5:58am | Report
Alright, got 50 gold and a pack for a 3-3 run this time. Had a really good start with a pretty decent Warlock deck but the losses weren't really avoidable. One was vs a mage with 5000 freeze spells which really stops me from abusing the early pressure a Warlock has, another was a really strong Warrior deck with a lot of synergy in terms of weapons and minions that cost less based on that / equip a new one / godknowswhatelse, the final one I faced someone with an Ysera that kinda screwed me. Could've played better, but meh :P

Thanks to MissMaw for the signature!
YayaFTW
<Altruistic Artist>
YayaFTW's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 14, 2013 2:55pm | Report
Played around 5 Arenas so far and never went above 3-3. I even get help drafting my deck :(

Any tips on how to improve? Feels like I give free wins to people because of the mistakes I make
Wayne3100
<Retired Admin>
Wayne3100's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 14, 2013 3:10pm | Report
My arena runs so far have ended in an 0-3, 4-3, 3-3 and 3-3. To be fair, three of those were way too early (when I simply didn't play as well as I do now), but it still makes me sad :P

It's hard for me to help others improve as I'm not great myself yet, but normally the most important thing is not recognising that you make mistakes, but which kind of mistakes you make continuously. Personally, I often have a lot of early pressure, but my opponent always has the card advantage over me and beats me with that in the "late game", a clear sign to me that I use cards too quickly, especially powerful abilities such as Assassinate.

Meiyjhe
<Member>
Meiyjhe's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 14, 2013 3:14pm | Report
I don't really have other tips than to just keep playing or watch other people play HS, I am afraid D:

Watching other people play might actually help severely since you will get a better view of how someone else might deal with certain situations, which you can learn from. Playing yourself of course also helps since you will get more experience and knowledge about plays and certain card mechanics. Besides that, you will learn which cards are a must in certain decks, so your draft will be better as well. Other than that, I might give you more tips in 1v1 battles, but the tips will be fairly limited since I don't see which cards you have in your hand and stuff like that :P
Change is gooooood
Picture by: VirusNG1
Want to advertise your guide, but don't know where? Click here for an opportunity of a lifetime!
Nighthawk
<Veteran>
Nighthawk's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 14, 2013 8:07pm | Report
Any thoughts on a Priest variation on the Mage spell deck that did really well in the MG tourney this week? (there were 8 total mage decks in the top 4)

Priest has good draw, the same sort of burn as Mage (granted a lot less flexible - but also a lot faster) and also has good removal.

Something like

[2] Holy Fire
[2] Novice Engineer
[2] Northshire Cleric
[2] Mindblast
[2] Holy Smite
[2] Holy Nova (or maybe ASP + CoH? instead?)
[2] Prophet Velen
[2] Shadow Word: Pain
[2] Shadow Word: Death
[2] Shattered Sun Cleric
[2] Faerie Dragon
[2] Defender of Argus
[2] Dark Iron Dwarf
[2] Harvest Golem

seems very similar to that deck, but has a better chance of surviving till lategame/drawing the burn cards thanks to the heals and HP, no?

http://www.hearthpwn.com/forums/managrind/articles/3029-mage-aggression-managrind-tournament-overview-by

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

Meow?
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 15, 2013 5:42am | Report
YayaFTW wrote:

Any tips on how to improve? Feels like I give free wins to people because of the mistakes I make

A few general tips on how to think:

Manage your resources properly.
Cards are resources. You're not just paying mana for a minion, you're paying a card(s) for it too. That is why you shouldn't have too many 1-cost minions(2 is usually a good number). Cards with card draw are a different matter of course, they're 'free' in terms of the card cost so to speak.
Minions on the field are resources you've put into play. Try to keep a hold of those resources as well as you can, even if that means sacrificing things like health.

Almost always sacrifice health for board/card advantage. If you can attack and kill and enemy with a weapon or something like that then DO IT, even if his damage is high. Health means nothing compared to board and card advantage, because with said advantage you can more easily deal damage to the enemy.

Try to use your Hero Power as often as you can. If there's a good play you can make with it: DO IT. Using your hero power effectively and often is a good way to conserve cards.

Always try to make use of as much mana as you can, without playing any cards that you know will be easily countered of course.

This kind of goes without saying, but always try to make favorable trades happen. You want to trade your 2/1 unit for his 3/2 unit, your 3/2 unit for his 4/3 unit and your 4/3 unit for his 5/4 unit and so on.
For classes like Mages, Rogues and Druids you can also add one damage to the equation from your hero power. A 2/1 (likely cheap 1 cost unit) suddenly trades for a 4/3 unit (likely 3-4 cost). And again, sacrificing health, especially for favorable trades is not something you should be gun-shy of.

As a general sequence of actions you should try to do this every turn:

1. Look at how much mana you have.

2. Look at what favorable plays/trades you can make and how much they cost.

3. Then think about how you can combo your remaining mana as efficiently as possible, to make use of all the mana you have. Also try to make use of your hero power wherever you can in mid to lategame where you ususally have the mana to support using it. The ideal amount of mana left after every turn is 0.

4. When you're done planning all of the above put your thoughts/plan into play. Make the most important plays happen first, so that you minimize your chance of disaster in the case of errors in the calculations.
"Doing something, almost being done, then parents come in and don't let you finish.
Yes, I had a rough childhood." - devdevil
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 15, 2013 5:43am | Report

Holy ****ing ****. I knew mages were OP as hell, but top 4 all being mages two times consecutively? Holy ****.
Quoted:
[2] Holy Fire
[2] Novice Engineer
[2] Northshire Cleric
[2] Mindblast
[2] Holy Smite
[2] Holy Nova (or maybe ASP + CoH? instead?)
[2] Prophet Velen
[2] Shadow Word: Pain
[2] Shadow Word: Death
[2] Shattered Sun Cleric
[2] Faerie Dragon
[2] Defender of Argus
[2] Dark Iron Dwarf
[2] Harvest Golem

The fact that you take two of a legendary card alone makes me question your deck..

I don't think you should try to ape Mages with a Priest. They will never be as good at what the Mage does as an actual Mage. Focus instead on the strengths of the Priest.

Wayne3100
<Retired Admin>
Wayne3100's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 15, 2013 8:43am | Report
Oh man that feel when the enemy Shaman with 5 hp and 4 minions on the field uses Bloodlust, attacks you to the face to get you to 1 hp, says "Well played" thinking he has won before seeing your Leper Gnome and Shattered Sun Cleric take down his last remaining taunt (a Sen'jin Shieldmasta) - taking 2 damage in the process from the Leper deathrattle - and then get beaten down by Claw + Druid hero power.

my face as I killed him

It's moments like this that keep me playing despite Mages being absolutely stupid and no fun to play against atm :P

Thanks to jhoijhoi for the signature!
Thalia Kael
<Inhouse Addict>
Thalia Kael's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 15, 2013 10:33am | Report
What the heck I faced someone at 25 rank with like 10 golden cards including 4 legendary golden cards
Thanks to FatelBlade, JEFFY40HANDS, Nyoike, TheNamelessBard, GrandmasterD, aviseras and koksei for the awesome signatures
Wayne3100
<Retired Admin>
Wayne3100's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 15, 2013 10:39am | Report
Ranks were reset with the last patch weren't they? Probably someone who used to be higher but hadn't immediately started playing again :P

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide