Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's second Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! 🏆
's Forum Avatar

Pokemon X and Y

Creator: DillButt64 January 8, 2013 2:28pm
205 posts - page 11 of 21
Toshabi
<Veteran>
Toshabi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 9, 2013 9:12am | Report
Who is this firelord guy? He's like Canoas if he were a major pot head.
jhoijhoi wrote:

Also, I think the levels of immorality in this thread are astounding. You'd really throw a child off a boat for your own luggage? Wow.

lifebaka
<Member>
lifebaka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 9, 2013 9:28am | Report
Searz wrote:

What he meant to say is that:
The target demographic for most Pokemon games is kids.

Now, he went and said it in the clumsiest way imaginable and kept being unclear and clumsy with his statements, but that does not excuse the refusal to accept anything said by him. Not just him, but everybody started unnecessary tangents and mudslinging.

You guys should all be ashamed of yourselves.

The main problem was that he seemed to be using "the target demographic for most Pokemon games is kids" as a proxy for "Pokemon games are bad," (or something similar) based on his dismissive tone. I think that a lot of people realized this, and tried to argue against it, but no one ever quite realized that they were arguing against the wrong thing.

As for the alcohol thing, just remember that the term "drug" isn't a pejorative.
OTGBionicArm wrote: Armored wimminz = badass.

My posts may be long. If this bothers you, don't read them.
Meiyjhe
<Member>
Meiyjhe's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 9, 2013 9:30am | Report
^ True ^

Drugs don't have to be bad, doctors use them all the time :D
Change is gooooood
Picture by: Janitsudude

Want to advertise your guide, but don't know where? Click here for an opportunity of a lifetime!
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 9, 2013 9:38am | Report

Wait, wait, what'd I do?

You know what you did. Don't deny it.

I'VE GOT MY EYES ON YOU

(seriously tho; it's directed at those partaking in the discussion on demographics and Pokemon)
"If someone is ****, you point at them and declare "****!". Because this is the internet." - Serpentiferous

"The Internet: where men are men, women are men, and little girls are the FBI." - ???
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 9, 2013 9:48am | Report
lifebaka wrote:

The main problem was that he seemed to be using "the target demographic for most Pokemon games is kids" as a proxy for "Pokemon games are bad," (or something similar) based on his dismissive tone. I think that a lot of people realized this, and tried to argue against it, but no one ever quite realized that they were arguing against the wrong thing.

Well, more of a proxy for "adults playing games for children is stupid".

Hence my statement; "he went and said it in the clumsiest way imaginable and kept being unclear and clumsy with his statements"
"I saw [Twilight: Eclipse] in theaters with a girl I was dating at the time. I spent more time staring at my toes and wiggling them than I did watching this abomination. When Edward proposed to Blank Face, I finally looked up with a revelation.
I blurted out loud, in a dead silent theater full of teenage girls on opening night "Wait a minute, Edward has no blood flow. How does he get an erection?" I heard several men laughing, and had several girls turn and stare at me.

I did not get laid that night." - Berengier817
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 9, 2013 1:11pm | Report
sirell wrote:

It was to return to the original point of Pokemon not being restricted to kids. It doesn't do well to deviate on simple minor points we mostly agree on.

That may have been the point of your comment, but it was not what my interjection was about.

Deviating into a separate discussion is fine, as long as the two are kept separate(which really isn't that hard..).
Sittin' on chimneys, putting fire up my ***.

"I biked 12km in a blizzard today and mice are chewing on my chocolate bars. Life's good."
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 9, 2013 1:28pm | Report
Nighthawk wrote:

Not even close to the truth. In competitive Pokemon there is an extreme limit on the randomness that's even possible. There are many different clauses that prevent randomness or tone it down so it's not a problem.

Sleep clause allows only 1 Pokemon to be asleep at a time, Freeze clause allows only 1 Pokemon to become frozen at a time, etc etc. Moves and abilities like Double Team are banned. Moves are banned, etc.

Is that it? It is not even close to enough. There's a TON of game mechanics in Pokemon that rely on chance. For it to work to a satisfactory level would require it to remove almost everything in the game that is based on chance.

LoL has just ONE element of chance involved - crit - and I think that one should go too. Chance in competitive games is really ****ing stupid.
Quoted:
Also there are like zero imba pokemon in each tier (which I'm not sure if you really realize that there are tiers, you simply won't find an arceus versus a charizard), each pokemon has counters (generally a lot of them) and 90% of the time in Pokemon it's not even about who has the best 'pokemon' it's about who has the most skill in order to counter your opponents pokemon as well as who has the best prediction and who has the best synergy, plus what style of play they're using (eg offense doesn't generally do well against stall). Yes there are Pokemon that are stronger then others, but there are very very few pokemon that are truly unviable, in fact it does probably one of the best jobs of balancing ever, with over 600 pokemon to choose from you would think more then like, 20 of them would be completely unviable.

Right.. 20 unviable..

Not to mention the need for a tier system for it to work at all..
Quoted:
oh and before you give me **** for saying it's the most strategic game in the world, I meant most strategic 'handheld' game in the world. :P

Now you're just being stupid again. One might say there's a pattern emerging..
"Moral justification is a powerful disengagement mechanism. Destructive conduct is made personally and socially acceptable by portraying it in the service of moral ends." - Albert Bandura

"Ultimately, if people lose their willingness to recognize that there are times in our history when legality becomes distinct from morality, we aren't just ceding control of our rights to government, but our futures." - Edward Snowden
DillButt64
<Editor>
DillButt64's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 9, 2013 1:29pm | Report

I sense pokemon try-harding in this thread.

i dunno i assumed this thread would be more like "this is what i expect from this game" but it was more "GRRR POKEMON IZ BBY GAEM STFU" "NO U STFU POKEMON IS 4 EVRY1"

its less pokemon try-harding and more argument try-harding

but anyways i hope they add more things like the battle frontier and such cuz i liked having things to do after the elite four, and i hope they do more story stuff like they did in black and white with the elite four being interrupted
Thanks to TheNamelessBard for the signature
Nighthawk
<Veteran>
Nighthawk's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 9, 2013 3:32pm | Report
Searz wrote:

Is that it? It is not even close to enough. There's a TON of game mechanics in Pokemon that rely on chance. For it to work to a satisfactory level would require it to remove almost everything in the game that is based on chance.

Not to mention the need for a tier system for it to work at all..

No, that's not it. There are a lot more clauses to prevent 'hax', and what isn't prevented either has a positive impact on the metagame, or isn't important/doesn't do anything.

It already works at a satisfactory level, just like a lot of other games that have a lot of chance in them. The competitive Pokemon scene is almost perfectly balanced. That's more then you can say for oh I don't know...League of Legends, Dota, WoW, etc. Pokemon is able to appeal to the masses of kids and people with no competitive interest by putting out some cute pokemon that are complete **** (see: Luvdisc, Spinda, Pachirisu) or by putting out a pokemon that is cool (see: farfetch'd) or ties some storylines together (see: unown), while still being very competitive and balanced. Considering there are 650 possible Pokemon, I'd say that's quite an accomplishment, when a lot of other games (like LoL) struggle with balance when they have nowhere near that number. I was actually looking at some of the Pokemon, but as it turns out there are even less then 20 Pokemon that are completely unviable, more like 5-10.

And what's so bad about a tier system? The tier system allows a lot more interesting and fun play, whereas if there weren't any, it would pretty much be a battle between the strongest teams over and over again, with no variety whatsoever. A bit like the LoL competitive scene, I find. Implementing a tier system was a great idea and opened up a lot of possibilities for play.

Really, while you may have some valid ideas, if you've never played competitive Pokemon before, you have no real knowledge about the subject, and should probably stfu, haha :P

FireLord
<Member>
FireLord's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 9, 2013 4:30pm | Report
Nighthawk wrote:
Really, while you may have some valid ideas, if you've never played competitive Pokemon before, you have no real knowledge about the subject, and should probably stfu, haha :P

i know a bit about competitive pokemon, and i no that you either cheat or you need to spend years just finding and breeding the pokemons with good natures/ivs and training them with proper evs. most competitive play is online where you pick the pokemons, natures, moves, etc. and skip pretty much the whole game altogeter and only use the combat mechanics with many claus limitations.
★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ rєmєmвєr tσ +rєp mє íf í dєsєrvє ít! ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

★ ★ ★ тнαикѕ тσ тнє_иαмєℓєѕѕ_вαя∂ fσя тнιѕ αмαzιиg ѕιgиαтυяє! ★ ★ ★

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide