Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Pokemon X and Y

Creator: DillButt64 January 8, 2013 2:28pm
205 posts - page 3 of 21
tehAsian
<Veteran>
tehAsian's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 8, 2013 5:53pm | Report
Quoted:

what? there are plenty of strategy games for normal people, regardless of the age. and there are **** tons of kids playing pokemon, so they're clearly capable of playing it. hell, i plaid it when i was 6, probably one of the first games i ever played.

You don't see normal kids playing 2500 elo chess, nor do you see them playing DnD, Dota, League, Starcraft, etc.

Yeah, kids are 'capable' of playing it, but put them against competitive players. The difference is HUGE.

Quoted:
i never said it's kids only, i said it's aimed for kids. obviosly anyone can play it, even if you're 100.

And yet your tone of voice and what you post obviously says 'it's for kids.'

Quoted:
oh, marketing reasons? why? what marketing reason would make them not show blood? hmm.. let me think.. oh wait, their AIMING IT AT KIDS so they don't put blood!
lol you proved yourself wrong xD

You're a ****ing idiot.

They don't show blood to aim it at kids, that's LIMITING their audience. They don't show blood to EXPAND THE RANGE OF POSSIBLE PLAYERS.

You can make a fighting game have blood, and limit it to ages 13-18. You can TAKE OUT THE BLOOD and EXPAND THE AGE LIMIT to 8-18.

And thus returns my to one of my original questions: How old are you?
LaCorpse's Signature Cafe

Thanks to Keondre, JhoiJhoi, Xiron, and Arcana3 for the Sigs~!
sirell
<Member>
sirell's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 8, 2013 5:59pm | Report
FireLord wrote:
dude, there are plenty of things aimed at kids but if an adult can't do it better then he's a ******. ever played the game simon? one where there are 4 colours and you need to memorise the orders? well, guess what it's aimed for? KIDS. want to guess who plays it better? adults or kids?

also, you said it yourself. the whole game is designed to be played by kids. "but can't beat anything past the game".

Nope, there are somethings that kids can play better at. And claiming an adult can't do it better because they're '******ed' is extremely elitist, prejudiced and totally unfounded. The sheer creativity of a kid playing 'hide and seek' can confound many adults, even intellectual ones and I mean that seriously.

And when I said 'can't beat anything past the game', I mean the campaign. But once they get into competitive play, it is practically completely adult-dominated when it comes to who wins and who loses.
FireLord
<Member>
FireLord's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 8, 2013 6:22pm | Report
sirell wrote:
Nope, there are somethings that kids can play better at. And claiming an adult can't do it better because they're '******ed' is extremely elitist, prejudiced and totally unfounded. The sheer creativity of a kid playing 'hide and seek' can confound many adults, even intellectual ones and I mean that seriously.

i obviously meant video games. otherwise make a game where you need to pass through a hole that only a child can and the adult will lose every single time.

sirell wrote:
And when I said 'can't beat anything past the game', I mean the campaign. But once they get into competitive play, it is practically completely adult-dominated when it comes to who wins and who loses.
yes, because the whole game is designed for children, but obviously an adult can do it better and therefore is better in a competition. the fact that the whole game is designed so a kid can complete it is proof that it is designed for kids. the competitive part is something created by the adult players.

tehAsian wrote:
You don't see normal kids playing 2500 elo chess, nor do you see them playing DnD, Dota, League, Starcraft, etc.

Yeah, kids are 'capable' of playing it, but put them against competitive players. The difference is HUGE.
those games are not designed for children. league of legends has a pegi rating of 12, but even then only 18+ can participate in official tournaments. those games are clearly for mature audiences. however, there is no ELO in pokemon. it is not designed for adults, adults just are better at it because they're adults. make a videogame for children, no matter what it is, as long as it has multiplayer then adults will always be better.

whatever you believe doesn't change the fact that the game is aimed at kids. it is made so a 7 year old can beat it. if it wasn't made for kids then there would be something that kids couldn't do in the game, but no. every single thing in the game can be done by a 7 year old. no question. there's no strategy at all, you can just use the starter pokemon and he'll get so powerful that nothing can stop it. you can literally beat the game with only one pokemon. no startegy whatsoever.
★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ rєmєmвєr tσ +rєp mє íf í dєsєrvє ít! ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

★ ★ ★ тнαикѕ тσ тнє_иαмєℓєѕѕ_вαя∂ fσя тнιѕ αмαzιиg ѕιgиαтυяє! ★ ★ ★
sirell
<Member>
sirell's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 8, 2013 6:35pm | Report
FireLord wrote:
i obviously meant video games. otherwise make a game where you need to pass through a hole that only a child can and the adult will lose every single time.

Similarly, make a video game that only a child can win. Fill it with references only a child will be able to understand. Did you know that some pattern recognitions are easily detected by children, but not by adults? And some kids complete Professor Layton-type games easier than a large majority of adults.

FireLord wrote:
yes, because the whole game is designed for children, but obviously an adult can do it better and therefore is better in a competition. the fact that the whole game is designed so a kid can complete it is proof that it is designed for kids. the competitive part is something created by the adult players.

Nope, the competitive multiplayer was designed simply for whoever is the best, regardless of whether it's a child or an adult. Arguably, this can be said to be made for the adults by the producers. Therefore, the game caters to more than just kids.

You don't seem to be able to understand the concept that just because a child can complete it does not restrict it solely to children. The game is for 3+, meaning the audience is just that: 3+.

*******, you are so narrow-minded.
tehAsian
<Veteran>
tehAsian's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 8, 2013 6:40pm | Report
What? Chess isn't designed for children? But nothing dies and there's no blood! See: your OWN argument about why games are for children.

LoL's tourneys are 18+ because, let's face it, if you were a parent, would you let your 14 year old teenage son go to skip school, go to LA alone, and play video games there?

There's no ELO in pokemon because it isn't necessary.

Yes everything in the game can be done by a 7 year old. Everything in LoL, which you claim is for mature audiences, can be done by a 7 year old too.

I can tell my cousin to play LoL and he'll be able to use the shop, aim skillshots, point and click stuff, etc. He can do everything all of us can do. I guess that automatically makes LoL for kids.

And you obviously haven't played the recent Pokemon games. Apparently a higher level difference between two battling pokemon will influence the experience given.

And again, no strategy involved? Play a link battle against half competent players.
LaCorpse's Signature Cafe

Thanks to Keondre, JhoiJhoi, Xiron, and Arcana3 for the Sigs~!
FireLord
<Member>
FireLord's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 8, 2013 6:47pm | Report
sirell wrote:
Similarly, make a video game that only a child can win. Fill it with references only a child will be able to understand. Did you know that some pattern recognitions are easily detected by children, but not by adults? And some kids complete Professor Layton-type games easier than a large majority of adults.

references? give the adult some time and he'll be able to play it better as well. if you put an adult who has never played pokemon playing against a child who plays it all the time he still loses. give him time to prepare and it's the child that will lose.
if children do possess those capabilities then i was wrong when i said an adult would win at any game, but that has nothing to do with pokemon

sirell wrote:
Nope, the competitive multiplayer was designed simply for whoever is the best, regardless of whether it's a child or an adult. Arguably, this can be said to be made for the adults by the producers. Therefore, the game caters to more than just kids.

You don't seem to be able to understand the concept that just because a child can complete it does not restrict it solely to children. The game is for 3+, meaning the audience is just that: 3+.

*******, you are so narrow-minded.

you make no sense. i'm not narrowminded, there's something called target demographic. games have target demographics just like books and tv shows. if you watch a show for kids no one is going to shoot you, you can watch it as many times as you want, however the target demographic will still be for children. this does not change. the target demographic for pokemon games are children, the game is made for kids. it's you who is narrowminded and honestly can't even understand such a basic comcept.
here, read it. you'll learn a bit about target demographics
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics

FireLord
<Member>
FireLord's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 8, 2013 6:56pm | Report
tehAsian wrote:

What? Chess isn't designed for children? But nothing dies and there's no blood! See: your OWN argument about why games are for children.

LoL's tourneys are 18+ because, let's face it, if you were a parent, would you let your 14 year old teenage son go to skip school, go to LA alone, and play video games there?

There's no ELO in pokemon because it isn't necessary.

Yes everything in the game can be done by a 7 year old. Everything in LoL, which you claim is for mature audiences, can be done by a 7 year old too.

I can tell my cousin to play LoL and he'll be able to use the shop, aim skillshots, point and click stuff, etc. He can do everything all of us can do. I guess that automatically makes LoL for kids.

And you obviously haven't played the recent Pokemon games. Apparently a higher level difference between two battling pokemon will influence the experience given.

And again, no strategy involved? Play a link battle against half competent players.

chess was designed to be a competitive game that tests someone's intelligence and ability to forsee future plays. it is not designed for children as they do not possess these requirements unless they're geniuses.

tehAsian wrote:

that has nothing to do with it. the parents can tag along if they wish. lol tournaments were actually not restricted by age until a few weeks ago and now some competitive players under 18 cannot participate and professional teams are experiencing difficulties.

tehAsian wrote:

No, it doesn't. lol is made to be competitive, pokemon isn't. 100% of the pokemon games are made so children can play it with no difficulties, the same cannot be said for lol.

tehAsian wrote:

so? children can still play it with no problems whatsoever. the startegy required is minimal. anyone who can read can finish pokemon.

tehAsian wrote:
that is not in the game. you are now saying that the game is not for children because something outside the game is hard. no, you are taking a very specific feature of the game which is multi-player, designed so kids can fight each other, and using it as an excuse for how the game can be much more difficult. that's the same as saying "they game is easy? well it's not easy because you can't beat it using only one button!". no. the target demographic is still children, the game is still made for children. what you say is irrelevant

OTGBionicArm
<McFly>
OTGBionicArm's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 8, 2013 6:57pm | Report
I am very excite.
Nighthawk
<Veteran>
Nighthawk's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 8, 2013 7:07pm | Report
dude you clearly have no idea wtf you're talking about lol.

Your logic that if you just use your starter and he'll get more powerful is great and all, except that's not the case in the battle subway/frontier/arena etc. Which, last I checked, is part of the game, and also part of the 'campaign'.

Also, while there isn't an elo system, there is a ranking system in the GTS, which is competitive and built right into the game iirc.

Also I've never seen anyone under 16 participate in a VGC or World Cup event in Pokemon (oh and Pobelter was only 16 when he played competitively btw).

A child simply can't perform to the level of an adult in the battle frontier, which is an actual part of the game, so clearly the devs didn't just make it for kids. If they did you'd be able to go through the ENTIRE game with 1 eye closed.

Oh and yes, Pokemon is without a doubt the most strategic game for a handheld, and the most competitive as well. Competitive pokemon has been going on since the early 2000's in NA, and much earlier before that in Japan. Hundreds of thousands of people are drawn to competitive Pokemon, more than any other handheld game in the world. Competitive Pokemon is also probably the second longest competitive game that's still going on, the other one being Magic, The Gathering, which has been around a little longer then Pokemon in NA. WoW is certainly strategic, but I'm not really sure if the competitive scene has been around as long as Pokemon or MTG, so I didn't include it.

sirell
<Member>
sirell's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 8, 2013 7:27pm | Report
FireLord wrote:
references? give the adult some time and he'll be able to play it better as well. if you put an adult who has never played pokemon playing against a child who plays it all the time he still loses. give him time to prepare and it's the child that will lose.
if children do possess those capabilities then i was wrong when i said an adult would win at any game, but that has nothing to do with pokemon

Give that child time and the child will beat the father, I counter-argue. Who am I going to think is going to win anyway? The kid that spends more time playing the game? Or the father who is spending his time working to pay for the consoles? Definitely the kid. Your original claim is gone within that post of yours. Your new claim is now 'whoever understanding the game will win' or 'whoever spends more time' or 'whoever is prepared' will win. As opposed to 'any adult unable to beat a kid at a game video-game is ******ed'.

Also, I've seen kids beat parents at chess and mean to. And they weren't geniuses either. Just kids with good pattern recognition sense.

FireLord wrote:
you make no sense. i'm not narrowminded, there's something called target demographic. games have target demographics just like books and tv shows. if you watch a show for kids no one is going to shoot you, you can watch it as many times as you want, however the target demographic will still be for children. this does not change. the target demographic for pokemon games are children, the game is made for kids. it's you who is narrowminded and honestly can't even understand such a basic comcept.
here, read it. you'll learn a bit about target demographics

What you don't seem to understand is who is actually the target demographic. And you don't seem to understand that that is what I'm saying to you.

You haven't answered a question that everyone is asking: Have you played the damned game?

If not, whereon you do not know, thereon you do not speak!

If so, then you were part of the target demographic too, dumbass!

In short, I reiterate - the game is not solely restricted to kids, as per your original claim, which you have now gone back on.

In fact, this very quote shows your ignorance:

FireLord wrote:
No, it doesn't. lol is made to be competitive, pokemon isn't. 100% of the pokemon games are made so children can play it with no difficulties, the same cannot be said for lol.

Pokemon Tournies exist, idiot. Not made to be competitive? You know nothing. They even have Pokemon bans, just like LoL.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide