Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Post Whatever You Want (and Stop Posting ****...

Creator: Mowen October 22, 2013 7:50am
Toshabi
<Veteran>
Toshabi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 26, 2015 12:41am | Report
I'm changing this topic because it's reached a new level of MOBAfail.

To This:

Good god, I wish my country had stuff like this (But then again, Amurika is kinda petty on the lawsuit train and I can only imagine how long an event like this would last).

It's a little sad that it keeps getting taken off of youtube due to copyright so it has to be like this, but hey, watch it, enjoy it, thank Toshabi later.
MrCuddowls wrote:

Hahahaha telling me my items are bad HHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAhA
Listen buddy don't judge someone's items if your only level 13
This build is Platinum approved, Thats all you need to know

Jimmydoggga 2.0
<Member>
Jimmydoggga 2.0's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 26, 2015 1:12am | Report
We need to implement the punishment game on MOBAfire.

Basically MOBAFire.
Toshabi
<Veteran>
Toshabi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 26, 2015 2:28am | Report
I would LOVE to be in a MOBAfail batsu game.
jhoijhoi wrote:

Also, I think the levels of immorality in this thread are astounding. You'd really throw a child off a boat for your own luggage? Wow.

Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 26, 2015 6:44am | Report
In the real world when you know someone who has a problem with blood, you don't show up at their Halloween party dressed as one of Jack the Ripper's victims complete with fake blood everywhere unless you're a total ****.

This parable became faulty the moment you mentioned the real world. In case you haven't noticed: there's a big difference between the real world and the internet.
Toshabi put it pretty well:
Quoted:
Just because YOU don't feel like you should treat people with common decency because "this is the internet" doesn't mean the rest of the world has to agree with you.

False equivalence. Common decency and a lack of disclaimer/trigger warnings are not mutually exclusive.
And just because YOU feel like it's important for others to adhere to your moral compass doesn't mean the rest of the world has to agree with you :)
"I sexually Identify as an Attack Helicopter. Ever since I was a boy I dreamed of soaring over the oilfields dropping hot sticky loads on disgusting foreigners. People say to me that a person being a helicopter is Impossible and I’m ****ing ******ed but I don’t care, I’m beautiful. I’m having a plastic surgeon install rotary blades, 30 mm cannons and AMG-114 Hellfire missiles on my body. From now on I want you guys to call me “Apache” and respect my right to kill from above and kill needlessly. If you can’t accept me you’re a heliphobe and need to check your vehicle privilege. Thank you for being so understanding." - Guuse

"uh, I identify as counterstrike and I find this globally offensive" - ???
MrMad2000
<Member>
MrMad2000's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 26, 2015 6:57am | Report
Isn't this the main problem though? Because people don't have any sense of "moral compass"... It doesn't hurt to put a disclaimer on a product (video/game/anything) if it could potentially prevent something. On video games that have a "horror" factor to it it says inside the box "game not suitable for the faint of heart" also known as "we're not responsible for you playing our game and then you having a heart attack but we're letting you know so we can prevent you from having one because we do actually care".

I think it's just wrong if one person doesn't care about another person's needs. Why do people look after mentally ill patients in hospital? What? Because they earn money out of it? That doesn't mean that they shouldn't care. Likewise, if someone feels like they can be "triggered" by a certain thing it doesn't make the content of a video less "shocking". Content creators make videos for people because they DO CARE. Jesus, on Youtube you have a description section in the video. Put the disclaimer there! Same with news reports etc. It doesn't make it less shocking for people who are prepared for something, but for people who aren't they can be warned before-hand.

Also, Searz. How is it "false equivalency?" In what way is saying that the internet and real life haven't got any comparisons between them? People who use the internet are REAL PEOPLE in the REAL WORLD who are behind a device such as a computer screen. They are still real people and they are dealing with real people. Why should this be exempt?
I am currently known as Sejwoonapiggle on EUW.
Add me for any queries or questions you have for me!
Check out my stream! I could use the support.
Click here to view my stream!
Jimmydoggga 2.0
<Member>
Jimmydoggga 2.0's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 26, 2015 7:11am | Report
SEARZ, YOU HAVE MOBAFAILED AND MUST TAKE PART IN THE CHALLENGE.
THIS WEEKS CHALLENGE IS TO TRAVEL TO JAPAN.
THERE YOU WILL....
KISS TOSHABI!!!!!!!!!!

Basically MOBAFire.
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 26, 2015 7:15am | Report
MrMad2000 wrote:
Isn't this the main problem though? Because people don't have any sense of "moral compass"...

Wrong. EVERYBODY has a moral compass, but that doesn't mean that they all point in the same direction (so to speak).
Quoted:
It doesn't hurt to put a disclaimer on a product (video/game/anything) if it could potentially prevent something.On video games that have a "horror" factor to it it says inside the box "game not suitable for the faint of heart" also known as "we're not responsible for you playing our game and then you having a heart attack but we're letting you know so we can prevent you from having one because we do actually care".

I've already covered this previously, but I assume you haven't read that..
I reiterate my stance in my response to Bard below.
Quoted:
Also, Searz. How is it "false equivalency?" In what way is saying that the internet and real life haven't got any comparisons between them?

You're mixing up two separate points. The real life point was in response to a parable, the false equivalence point was in regards to moral compasses and common decency.
The two are not directly related, try to avoid mixing things up.
Since you ignored the moral compass part I'm only gonna explain the real life point:
Quoted:
People who use the internet are REAL PEOPLE in the REAL WORLD who are behind a device such as a computer screen. They are still real people and they are dealing with real people. Why should this be exempt?

Okay, the difference here is that if you meet somebody in real life and talk or do something with them then chances are that they are a friend or an acquaintance. If you post a piece of media online then chances are that it'll be consumed by A LOT of people you have no connection to.

It's unreasonable to expect people that know nothing about you, that you've never met and probably never will meet to know about your problems.
MrMad2000 wrote:
But if we are gonna continue discussing this stuff I agree with The_Nameless_Bard here.

Anyways I don't wanna get involved

Why would you even comment in the first place if that truly was your intention?
Stop your childish behavior. You can't jump in and say "X is right!" then change the subject to avoid backlash.
"This video contains content that may be disturbing to some viewers, watch at your own discretion." or the like will pretty much work in 90% of situations.

Sure, as long as it's used sparingly, and not because of every little phobia in existence. Only things that are prevalent among society as a whole should need any kind of disclaimer. Age guidelines nail most of the common things that should possibly have a disclaimer in front of them (the disclaimer is ultimately pointless for videos that have proper age ratings, I just mean that those are mostly the correct things you might want a disclaimer for).
"I love the dirty bomb tag because i get either

a) posts about the game

b) current world affairs" - steel-sentry
MrMad2000
<Member>
MrMad2000's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 26, 2015 7:22am | Report
Searz wrote:
" ... Are you stupid?"

There's no need to call me stupid... But now I will get involved. All I wanted was to see that thread be about happiness and people having a laugh together. Not an issue that someone is trying to address whilst being aggressive and inconsiderate. Also? Did you really just delete that post...

I agree with you saying that it's fine to "sparringly" use them and I can see that it can be annoying to use them for every "little phobia" but a disclaimer takes up about 1 second of our lives and that could potentially be life-saving. I believe in people having different opinions. At the same time, I also believe you must respect them even if you disagree with them. I DO NOT LIKE TRIGGER WARNINGS but I do not see why everyone is saying that they are nothing but a nuisance or detriment to "society".

Also, what I don't get is how you claim that a majority of people on the internet wouldn't care about your problems because it's unreasonable to go up to someone and present them with these problems. If you do that in real life to a random stranger they'll probably help you...

I'm going to use a stupid scenario but bare with me here.

For example, if my phone is dead and I need to call someone I could go up to a random stranger and present them with my "problem":
I need to call a friend to find out when they can pick me up, I'm lost and was wondering if I could borrow your phone for two minutes to make a phonecall.

That doesn't sound unreasonable. Does it? Yes, a stranger is asking you to borrow a possession of yours that is expensive but 9/10 they'll allow them to borrow it.

If the same two people confront eachother on the internet but with the different circumstances of:
"I'm using a ****le and need to find out when this restaurant closes but I don't have a lot of internet left, since you have free internet could you google it for me and then email it to me as soon as possible?"
The reply would probably be "no screw you do it yourself."

Comparing these two attitudes from the same person, both of which are the same person but one is confronted in real life and one is confronted on the internet, the "decency" that that "person" which is representing the "majority of the society" changes. And it's not for the good. So why is "an acquaintance" expected to care about your problems in real life but that same acquaintance isn't meant to online?
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
The_Nameless_Bard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 26, 2015 7:52am | Report
Searz, you should be aware that not everyone has a moral compass, but that's kind of not related.

In general, I'm kinda done with this argument. The fact that I can come up with any examples that people besides yourselves agree are reasonable puts a pretty big hole in your argument that disclaimers/trigger warnings are entirely pointless. The burden of proof falls on YOU, not me, because your statements do not allow for exceptions to exist. The general statement is an absolute, so any exceptions that the average person can accept prove it incorrect. I only need to come up with one example that the average person agrees makes disclaimers/trigger warnings/whatever you want to call them necessary outside of your stated parameters for your argument to fall and it would seem that I've done that more than once.

On top of that, you've yet to give an actual explanation that I haven't proven is outright wrong with simple fact (the various free speech/expression arguments are complete and utter ******** legally and the stifling creativity argument is effectively a variant of that) besides statements that are effectively equivalent to "it's vaguely inconvenient, so why should anyone have to do it? if someone has a problem, they should gtfo or stfu".
MrMad2000
<Member>
MrMad2000's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep April 26, 2015 7:59am | Report
So are you saying that you, personally, do or do not think that trigger warnings are pointless? I'm not sure if it's that I just have the inability to read but I really don't get it...

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide