Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's second Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! 🏆
's Forum Avatar

Strife - S2's Newest MOBA

Creator: StrifeLover October 12, 2013 7:01pm
31 posts - page 2 of 4
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 31, 2014 7:02pm | Report
LoL is getting stale for me, unfortunately, and I always disliked Dota2 compared to Dota (they had the opportunity to fix everything that limited gameplay in Dota, but chose to keep things like orb effects, why? =.=). Strife is looking like a reasonable replacement or supplement to LoL. It's somewhat easier than LoL (more intuitive), but has some Dota2 mechanics (courier, recipes). It's sort of like they combined the best of both worlds.
guide writing tips 'n tricksashes to ashesfancy a sig?

♡ sig by thenamelessbard ♡
OTGBionicArm
<McFly>
OTGBionicArm's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 31, 2014 7:16pm | Report
the courier is the worst part of DOTA2 though
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
The_Nameless_Bard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 31, 2014 10:18pm | Report
really didn't like Dota 2 at all, honestly about ready to just uninstall it entirely because it constantly decides to update at the most inopportune times.

however, if this sounds enough different I miiiiight try it. maybe.
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 1, 2014 3:00am | Report
If you want a beta key, you should sign up to the newsletter. Took me a loooong time to get a key.

It's similar to Dota2 in the sense that:
> you have access to a courier (but you don't have to pay for it)
> the map is quite large with many jungle camps
> there are level differences (ledges and such)
> boots have castable effects (like Flash, Talisman of Ascension)

It's similar to LoL in the sense that:
> you have recall
> brush mechanics
> no minion deny system

It's similar to other MOBAs in the sense that:
> instead of "mage power" and "physical power" items (like AP/AD), items have a "power" stat that increases your magical/physical damage.

It's fresh in the sense that:
> 3 mandatory tutorials that introduce you to the lore of the game and all the mechanics (like brush, using abilities to navigate terrain, etc etc); these tutorials are quick and fun
> towers/minions/champions attacking you have three huge exclamation marks above their heads, so you're more visually aware of who's hurting you
> huge visible health and mana regeneration when out of combat; you could sit in brush and pretty much full heal
> either you or your lane ally can last-hit the minion; both of you gain full gold (about 30 gold per creep)
> base towers and inhibs have a sort of energy barrier in addition to their health; this means that you can chip away at a tower, leave, and then when you come back, you have to deal a set amount of damage before you can chip at the tower again (sorta prevents backdooring, constant split pushing)
> nexus (called the crux) has the health of a nexus + two towers, AND it attacks, meaning taking down the crux is a team objective, not achievable with no minions and no allies (no Xpeke shenanigans)
> you have a pet that you can select at the beginning of the game who can grant you 4 passive/castable effects, sort of like replacement masteries/runes/summoner spells. There are 3 starting pets to choose from; mage-like qualities, marksman/bruiser-like qualities and tank/support-like qualities. Pets level up based on the food you feed it, gained by playing the game.
> you can change the recipe of items. For instance, to make a life steal item the standard build is Power Shard + Vitality Shard + (Attack Speed Shard)x2. Depending on the cost of the component you "delete", you can replace it with the amount of quarry you've earned from matches. Downside is that after 14 games your created item disappears, so it CAN be an IP sink if you don't "imbue" your item.
> killing baron grants you control of a sort of huge gorilla super minion who you can assign to a lane. The gorilla pushes the lane you choose, but each attack deals damage to itself - unless you're pushing with it, it dies pretty quickly.

However, from what I understand:
> The Karma system is not yet in place (like the honour system for LoL)
> At the moment match-making doesn't account for your crafted items or pet level, meaning you could be matched with people who have crazy-*** item recipes and pets with 4 abilities.
> I'm not sure of server states; gameplay felt really smooth to me, no lag, but that was a custom/bot game mandatory for the tutorial.

/excited explanation :D

♡ sig by thenamelessbard ♡
Janitsu
<Moderator>
Janitsu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 1, 2014 3:09am | Report
I signed but I never got any confirmation email or anything. Lolz.
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 1, 2014 3:13am | Report
I signed up 13/10/2013, got a generic "Thank You for Signing Up at Strife.com!" email, never heard from them again until today with my beta key, lol.

♡ sig by me ♡
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 1, 2014 3:20am | Report
There already is fresh and more approachable MOBA on the market. It's called Awesomenauts and it doesn't suck. Something I cannot say for Strife.
Now, I doubt Strife will suck, but I also doubt it will bring anything substantial to the table.
Just go play Awesomenauts instead if you're looking for a good approachable MOBA.
caucheka wrote:

if its designed to go face to face with lol then it'll flop.

ANY game designed to go face to face with LoL is going to lose. Flop? No, but no game trying to enter the same sphere even has a chance against the monolith that is LoL.
Not even DotA 2 has a chance. (I'm serious, look up the numbers of players, it's about 15 times higher for LoL)
jhoijhoi wrote:

LoL is getting stale for me, unfortunately, and I always disliked Dota2 compared to Dota (they had the opportunity to fix everything that limited gameplay in Dota, but chose to keep things like orb effects, why? =.=). Strife is looking like a reasonable replacement or supplement to LoL. It's somewhat easier than LoL (more intuitive), but has some Dota2 mechanics (courier, recipes). It's sort of like they combined the best of both worlds.

They want to be more approachable yet they add recipes?
That sounds like a conflicting design choice...
caucheka wrote:

honestly strife just reeks of 'wow killer'

you know, that hip new mmo thats so different than wow and everyone will quit wow and play it except its exactly the same as wow and no one is playing it.

*cough* the old republic *cough*

Poor example. TOR just sucked.
Rift might be a better example.
"He cooked cake." - MrCuddowls

"Oh forget it, I have nothing to hid, I admit it, 12 hours of every single day of my life ever since I was eleven years old have been anal sex with canoes" - MrCuddowls
Werepirelord
<Member>
Werepirelord's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 1, 2014 3:46am | Report
I always imagined GW2 to be the WoW killer, personally I felt it was a comepletely reploished version of it with improvements on every scale dodging trolls with a 60€ paywall.

Tah beh, or nat tah beh. BOOM! Nat tah beh.
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 1, 2014 3:54am | Report
^ Just played this game. Bots on both sides. As it's 10pm here in Aus, no wonder no one else around the world is online, lol. In terms of servers, the lobby is like the custom game lobby in LoL. You can choose to join whichever game you want, and the server is shown in the game (like EU). I imagine they'd move to proper queuing when they go to open beta.

^And here is the pet screen.

Searz: The recipes thing is just a nifty side-thing. You don't HAVE to change recipes, it's just added depth. The drawback of changing a recipe (out of the game, in the client) is that you have to have gold for it. It'd be like changing Infinity Edge to have two BF Swords instead of one and a Pickaxe. Ultimately your altered IE would do more damage, thus be more slot efficient, BUT you'd need to farm the gold to afford a significantly more expensive IE. Find craft screen below:

♡ sig by marcospyder ♡
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep February 1, 2014 4:19am | Report
jhoijhoi wrote:

The recipes thing is just a nifty side-thing. You don't HAVE to change recipes, it's just added depth. The drawback of changing a recipe (out of the game, in the client) is that you have to have gold for it. It'd be like changing Infinity Edge to have two BF Swords instead of one and a Pickaxe. Ultimately your altered IE would do more damage, thus be more slot efficient, BUT you'd need to farm the gold to afford a significantly more expensive IE.

This will not only be harder for newer players to grasp but might also introduce balance problems with specific combinations.
Key word being 'might'.
It won't necessarily be bad, but it just seems superfluous.
I'm a strong independent black mage who don't need no mana.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide