Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's first Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! šŸ†
's Forum Avatar

Building Karthus: deviating from the...

Creator: gotoh July 13, 2013 3:26am
1 2 3
gotoh
<Member>
gotoh's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 13, 2013 3:26am | Report
Hello fellow members. I found that Liandry's Torment should be a core item on Karthus and was asking about your opinion on it. Karthus has poor Ap ratios on most of his abilities and the burn from the item can increase his DPS quite a lot. Moreover the penetration allows Karthus to have a much larger impact on the game at the early levels. The item also build from Haunting Guise which is a much better early game item than catalyst the protector. Finally it gives stats immediately instead of 10min later.

Overall I think the item should be built after Tear of the Goddess to help Karthus in the early levels and to make him relevant in the early game (+ you can build other items to go in a sort of "Tanky" build).

So what do you think?
Check out my first guide on Karthus here.
sirell
<Member>
sirell's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 13, 2013 4:09am | Report
Dislike. You can go tanky with a catalyst the protector instead, or go with some sustain through Chalice of Harmony. Either way, I don't think it's really all the worthwhile building a Liandry's Torment.

You can also rush a Zhonya's Hourglass instead.
gotoh
<Member>
gotoh's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 13, 2013 5:48am | Report
I tend to disagree. Chalice of Harmony does not upgrade into anything useful for Karthus and is vastly outclassed by Tear of the Goddess in mana sustain the math behind it. Moreover the catalyst does not give anything in offense compared to Haunting Guise. In the early levels most games in solo queue are decided in the first 20 minutes. Having some impact at this stage can change the course of a game very effectively. In addition Liandry's surpasses RoA in terms of damage and synergizes well with Rylai's Crystal Scepter, which is also a very interesting items for the perma slow it gives.
The result is more presence in the early game, better poke and damage thanks to the burn as well as not having to wait 10 min to be fully charged.
-NA- Veng Lmfao
<Altruistic Artist>
-NA- Veng Lmfao's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 13, 2013 5:54am | Report
Pheyniex
<Member>
Pheyniex's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 13, 2013 6:47am | Report
Mikael's Blessing is very usefull.

Sig made by Tamy
Mooninites
<Member>
Mooninites's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 13, 2013 10:04am | Report
You want to increase Karthus's mana pool not increase his mana regen. During sustained fights you want to be able to keep your Defile on and spam Lay Waste. Chalice of Harmony/ Athene's Unholy Grail can't keep up with the mana drain, hence why you increase your mana pool with items like Rod of Ages and Tear of the Goddess.

As far as Liandry's Torment I'd be surprised if it could find a spot. You generally want Rabadon's Deathcap, Sorcerer's Shoes, Seraph's Embrace, Rod of Ages, and Void Staff. That pretty much leaves one item slot open and I'm not so sure Liandry's is worth it.
Thanks for the Signature MissMaw!
utopus
<Veteran>
utopus's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 13, 2013 10:52am | Report
gotoh wrote:

Karthus has poor Ap ratios on most of his abilities

Yes, his ap ratios are ****py, and yet he has possibly the best late game scaling out of any AP carry. AP ratios aren't everything. Having a low AP ratio just means that he doesn't have much burst damage - which, shouldn't come to much of a surprise. Most karthus players know this and simply whittle their opponent down in lane and finish them with requiem.

There is this notion of AP/second however. This is quite a useful read. It justifies that while karthus has pretty bad ap ratios, he will deal the most damage in team fight over a long period of time. With this in mind, I think that karthus doesn't need Liandry's Torment to supplement his damage - rather survivability to that he can live longer and deal more damage to his opponents in a team fight.

Thoughts?
If I helped you out, be sure to throw me a +Rep!
-

My Soraka Guide | My Review Service

Thanks a lot for the sig, jhoi! :)
gotoh
<Member>
gotoh's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 13, 2013 3:48pm | Report
Mooninites wrote:

As far as Liandry's Torment I'd be surprised if it could find a spot. You generally want Rabadon's Deathcap, Sorcerer's Shoes, Seraph's Embrace, Rod of Ages, and Void Staff. That pretty much leaves one item slot open and I'm not so sure Liandry's is worth it.

Personally i'd take it over RoA in certain situations. Getting tear + catalyst really delays any damage built and makes you less relevant in engagements at the lower levels. Getting Liandry's allows you to be powerful immediately and against some fast pushing comps its very useful. Moreover you do more damage than with RoA late game thanks to the burn and penetration.

Moreover in a very particular build without the deathcap and with Rylai's Crystal Scepter, Abyssal Mask and Zhonya's Hourglass, the burn compensates your lack of damage as you favor tankiness.
(there is more info in my Karthus guide about this build)
Melchee
<Member>
Melchee's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 14, 2013 12:10pm | Report
His AP Ratios seems bad, but his Q has a 30% scalling and is spammable like hell and his aura with "just" 20% is a DoT aura which can hit a lot of enemies at once.
He isn't able to dish out his scallings in form from burst, but if he can survive a bit and get his DoT on the enemies his damage from his AP scallings is greater than from other AP carries.
gotoh
<Member>
gotoh's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep July 14, 2013 2:20pm | Report
I think you misunderstood me. I'm not saying his Ap ratios are bad in a negative sense but they appear bad to compensate the ridiculous damage he can put out in a long period of time (he is actually second to Cassiopeia in Single target damage over a fixed amount of time).
I'm saying he should take liandry's as it essentially adds a 2% of current health burn to all of his damage, which is a substantial amount. Moreover the item really helps him melt tanks down.
1 2 3

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide