Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's second Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! 🏆
's Forum Avatar

The End-all jungle thread.

Creator: Lugignaf August 1, 2011 2:16pm
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 2, 2011 4:44am | Report
Amumu is an awesome jungler if you got armor seals and quints. He's easily one of the best junglers in the game.
Do you even jungle him Dante?
"I walked up to her big butt and asked her *** butt what." - Lil Wayne, lyrical genius

"I can't decide where I stand on abortion, on one hand it is killing children, on the other it gives women a choice." - ???
Dante Rebellion
<Member>
Dante Rebellion's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 2, 2011 5:10am | Report
"Trololololo is there another way to play him besides jungling?"

Thats what I said, he's just so amazing in the jungle playing him as a laner would be insanity.

I don't play Amumu but I know that its really strong, ganks and clear times. It's even pretty hard to counter jungle him
Confehdehrehtheh
<Member>
Confehdehrehtheh's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 2, 2011 8:01am | Report
Jungle Cho doesn't just have good sustain, he's fast, and can take damn near any route he wants. I've done caster masteries/runes and started Amplifying Tome + Health Potion. I do not recommend doing so in the slightest(I accidentally did it) but it can be done easily.

Also, his ganks are hit or miss. Either you land a Rupture from the grass or they see it coming from a mile away. Successful ganks usually require a landed Rupture or lots of red buff hits.

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eteuU7pKCMg Stonewall's Versatility of Cho'Gath - Great examples of Cho'Gath's awesome jungling.
Awesome sig by jhoijhoi :D
Aura-Support/CDR Sona|Jungle Yorick
Jebus McAzn
<Retired Moderator>
Jebus McAzn's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 2, 2011 10:14am | Report
Lugignaf, if you're going to gauge jungle champions, you need to sort them through a ton of different criteria.

-Speed
-Ganking potential (pre-6 and post-6)
-Sustainability
-Versatility
-Lane potential (Basically, why run in jungle if the champion needs to be in lane?)
-Reliance on farm (Junglers typically earn less gold and CS than their laning allies)
-Resistance to counter-jungling (alternatively, reliance on buffs or levels)
-Counter-jungling potential

The two most important of these are probably speed and ganks.

The list is more or less put in order of importance.

Let's take Udyr.
Speed: S (3:10 jungle clear at best, capability to gank at level 4 against a level 2 duo lane)
Ganks: B+ (No gap closer bar flash, vulnerable to being kited. However, he has a stun and a lot of burst.)
Sustain: A+ (Turtle Stance OP, especially with Wriggle's, even though the proc doesn't heal you anymore.)
Versatility: A+ (Can start with Boots, Long Sword, Cloth Armor, Vamp Scepter. Can take NUMEROUS routes. Can gank as early as level 2 or as late as level 5/6.)
Lane potential: A- (Laning power was nerfed slightly but he's still strong and hard to force out.)
Reliance on Farm: A- (Udyr doesn't need a ton of farm. With an early Philo/HoG, he still has strong ganks and scales into a late-game monster after he gets his Triforce.)
Resistance to Counter-Jungling: A (Udyr can 1v1 most enemy counter-junglers or at least stall them long enough for his team to help. He doesn't need levels very badly because he's strong and doesn't particularly need many skills.)
Counter-jungling potential: B+ (He can easily take wraiths/golems at level 1 and get away quickly. A fast Udyr can take blue with a super leash without using smite, run up, steal a small golem, then do the rest of his jungle.)

Overall: A+
Udyr is one of the fastest jungles in the game and has decent ganking power. His real strength is in his versatility and his unpredictability, forcing lanes to stay back because he could literally be ganking you any time after 3:30 - even less if he opts to gank at level 2/3. He's hard to stop in the jungle, and while he can lane very effectively, it does NOT make him any less powerful in the jungle.

Now let's take, oh, Ashe. Yes, Jungle Ashe is possible.

Speed: D- (4:40 clear and that's even with taking a red pot and red buff first to speed up the rest of your jungle.)
Ganks: A+ (Frost Shot and red buff is terrifying, especially from a range. Volley is an AoE slow that you can almost always hit, and you have a built-in CV to spot enemies in the bush. At level 6, if you can land an arrow, that enemy should be dead.
Sustain: F (She has no heal and extremely little armor and nearly dies several times during her initial jungle run. Wriggle's is still not enough to keep you at full during the mid-game.)
Versatility: D- (You could probably do blue with a leash, or you can start at red or small golems. Regardless she can't really do a sustained route and she relies on red pot for jungling.)
Lane potential: S (Ashe is one of the strongest AD carries at the moment and putting her bot with a support is very common and very powerful. She gets CS and harasses very easily.)
Reliance on Farm: D (Ashe NEEDS farm to be able to do anything late-game. She's one of the hardest-scaling AD carries into late-game currently, and she'll be handicapped if she's in the jungle.)
Resistance to Counter-Jungling: F (Not only does she need clutch level-ups to not die during her route, she can be killed at any moment and cannot take any escape spells like Flash because she's forced to run both Smite and either Ignite or Heal.)
Counter-jungling potential: D (She's slow and is liable to get killed while trying to counter-jungle. Her damage is **** early game so she can't score kills either. However, she does have Hawk Shot, so that prevents her from getting an F.)

Overall: D-
While her ganks are super-strong, especially at 6, she's so terrible in every other category that it doesn't merit putting her in the jungle. In addition, Ashe is so strong in lane and so farm dependent that it'd be a total waste to have her jungle.

You can and should be applying this format to every champion and THEN you can check what happens. Amumu would probably earn an A or an A- because of his speed, ganks, and everything else. Nasus would earn something like a C or a D because of how strong he is in lane and how farm-reliant he is.
JunSupport
<Veteran>
JunSupport's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 2, 2011 10:17am | Report
Why the heck isn't Maokai on here?
With flat AP glyphs and quints, he can 1shot wraiths camp if you know how to do it.

He's also recently been given a commentary by Stonewall008.
He's THE best invasive jungler at the moment apparently. (Superior to Nunu)
~ Gentlemen Cho'Gath ~
┌──┐
┴──┴
< ಠ,....,ರೃ>
~ Keeping this sig classy ~

Guides of Mine - Click the... Eh... Come back later

~Undergoing barbaric-Destruction, tasteful-Renovation, and blasphemous-Reconstruction soonâ„¢~
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ ┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ)
Lugignaf
<Veteran>
Lugignaf's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 2, 2011 5:18pm | Report
Great. Now I'm being held to stonewall criteria... I'l work on this as time allows but, I can't always be around to do it.

@Jebus. That's a great set of Criteria to hold everyone to and I will be investigating these as thoroughly as I possibly can.

@Jun. I jungled him before he was "good" and Xai yelled at me for it... <_<
caucheka
<Veteran>
caucheka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 2, 2011 5:38pm | Report
ignore him. if you want to play jungle maokai and you have fun doing it, then do it.
I like things that make me feel stupid. - Ken Levine
Jebus McAzn
<Retired Moderator>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 2, 2011 5:40pm | Report
after watching stonewall's video, jungle maokai actually looks really fun
Lugignaf
<Veteran>
Lugignaf's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 2, 2011 5:41pm | Report
I am now having issues with you guys saying "X is bad" because clearly it works before someone "good" says it does as well...
True love is found only in yourself.
Jebus McAzn
<Retired Moderator>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 2, 2011 5:43pm | Report
i never said jungle maokai was bad o.o

jungle nasus i'm still iffy on but if it becomes fotm eventually i'll eat my words

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide