Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

What happened to Olaf?

Creator: SinDelta September 8, 2011 11:21am
Urscythe
<Member>
Urscythe's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 9, 2011 9:45pm | Report
DuffTime wrote:

I love his passive. It's what makes him Olaf.

I like most things about Olaf. I think just a slight stat bonus and perhaps a rework of E would put him where he wants to be.

I don't think it needs to deal damage to himself anymore.

Undertow needs a faster projectile speed. It's too slow to be used to realistically CATCH someone, but it's great when you're already on them.

Vicious Strikes should provide some sort of passive benefit. I personally think the bonus AD should be passive, and you gain the HP-based bonus and drain when it's activated.

His E should definitely lose the mana cost. I'd also like to see it scale a little. Maybe it does X base damage per rank, plus Y% of enemy maxHP, up to Z total damage. 340 damage is great throughout the mid game, but if the game goes late it just doesn't add up to much damage output, even against carries (who will probably have close to 2,000 HP if they've built items like Trinity Force along the way.)

Ragnarok is fine.

His main issues are mana (he tends to run OOM extremely fast since he's a very spammy hero and does not have good mana gains) and susceptibility to kiting. Adding movement speed to his passive and increasing Undertow's velocity should remedy the issues with him being too easy to kite. As mentioned, Undertow is good for staying on someone, but not so great for catching them.

Thanks to Jsta for the sig image.
DuffTime
<Member>
DuffTime's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 9, 2011 11:52pm | Report
I like a lot of that.

I think undertow is fine as is personally. Maybe a 5% faster projectile speed. I think that skills is fine personally.

Don't be surprised if they give him the Tryn treatment and make him a fury based champ who's fury makes his skills work.

That could be pretty cool to be honest. I wouldn't mind, it would work much better with his kit.

If he just didn't have mana he'd be instantly balanced basically.
Lott
<Member>
Lott's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 11, 2011 10:45am | Report
I play Olaf pretty frequently, its true he drops off mid game and needs to build some tanky items to still make a presence in teamfights. I like his q at the speed it is, it has a hefty feel to it, and with practice its not that hard to use to chase. As for mana problems, yes they exist, but if you just play conservatively and not totally spammy until a bit later on then its not really too bad. All in all he is balanced around where he should be. Although a fury system would be interesting, no doubt.
JEFFY40HANDS
<Altruistic Artist>
JEFFY40HANDS's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 11, 2011 11:49am | Report
Riot seems to think Olaf is a 45min time bomb....His true damage is actually balanced with the health cost. I mean his kit is quite similar to Irelia IMO. In terms of the true damage and life steal. Olaf gets more true damage because he actually hurts himself using the ability it's a good risk reward system. Undertow is fine, still an awesome slow, the animation is a taddd slower than would be comfortable.

Overall Olaf has a few things that make him too UP to be viable right now.
Urscythe
<Member>
Urscythe's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 11, 2011 9:25pm | Report

Riot seems to think Olaf is a 45min time bomb....His true damage is actually balanced with the health cost. I mean his kit is quite similar to Irelia IMO. In terms of the true damage and life steal. Olaf gets more true damage because he actually hurts himself using the ability it's a good risk reward system. Undertow is fine, still an awesome slow, the animation is a taddd slower than would be comfortable.

Overall Olaf has a few things that make him too UP to be viable right now.

Problem is there are people that are 20 minute timebombs and so there's little reason to take Olaf over them.

Hell, Poppy starts strong and never really gets weaker.

Thanks to Jsta for the sig image.
DuffTime
<Member>
DuffTime's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 12, 2011 12:59am | Report
I'd say Poppy's not terribly strong mid game. She's an end game terror.

I build my Poppy AD though so that might be why I feel that way.

I'd say a better example of a champion who is just good all game right now and never gets weaker is Trundle personally.

If the enemy tank is doing well, SO ARE YOU! Lol.
Embracing
<Crowd Favorite>
Embracing's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 12, 2011 1:03am | Report
Olaf's getting some buffs next patch. :3
DuffTime
<Member>
DuffTime's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 12, 2011 11:23am | Report
FASTER TO BATTLE!
JunSupport
<Veteran>
JunSupport's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 12, 2011 11:45am | Report
@RosePhoenix:

Hopefully just something to improve his jungling health levels.

Olaf is pretty close to a balanced tanky dps, his jungle route is just a frightening nightmare, and I don't mean the Nocturne kind.
~ Gentlemen Cho'Gath ~
┌──┐
┴──┴
< ಠ,....,ರೃ>
~ Keeping this sig classy ~

Guides of Mine - Click the... Eh... Come back later

~Undergoing barbaric-Destruction, tasteful-Renovation, and blasphemous-Reconstruction soonâ„¢~
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ ┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ)
DuffTime
<Member>
DuffTime's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep September 12, 2011 12:00pm | Report
As a fairly avid Olaf player, I've never had any issue with the jungle. I use Q though not W, perhaps that's where others are having the issue.

If he just had a stronger presence in Mid game he'd be a strong champion. I think his base values for HP could be toned up substantially and he'd probably be close to competitive just by that alone. Also as I've stated previously, that and the simply removal of either HP cost or mana cost would make Olaf substantially improved in mid game.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide