This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page
Jayce Build Guide by Cinol1
Your votes and comments encourage our guide authors to continue
creating helpful guides for the League of Legends community.
Threats & Synergies
Depends a lot on the skill of the Irelia player. You must never dive her and always wait for her to dive you. Just disengage at once using E in Hammer Stance and punish her dive by changing to Cannon Stance and using the Q+E combo and autohit (maybe you have the chance to follow up with auto + W cannon stance).
Just ban her. That is what i do. She can bully you all day and even if you E her you are not saved.
Disengage and punish all the time. You can kill him if you poke well and dive at the right moment before level 6. After 6 if you have no kill advantage he is stronger in 1vs1 senario but if you play smart you will never die so what you will do in later teamfights matters.
He can never kill you if you keep your distance and disengage properly. You can kill him in early levels if you poke him well before you dive him. It is very helpfull if you manage to take 1 or 2 early kills on him and deny him the farm in early levels so you get a good advantage pre 6 level and then stay safe away from him and carry the fights as your damage to carries will be outstanding. If you dive him wrong and die then he will bully you a lot so be smart.
You can kill him before 6 level if he is not a really good player. After 6 disengage and punish him HARD when his dash is on CD.
Skill dependant. A good riven will win but you can make her life a living hell in early game.
Do not give him free kills. After lane phase if your team uses any form of CC on him, he will die easily. But be carefull in lane as you can not really fight him.
Skill dependant. You can outdamage him and poke him like MAD but you need to avoid his damage too.
Kill him early. Or just poke him a lot. He will have to back a lot of times if you poke him right.
He can not kill you cause you disengage. You can not kill him cause if you dive you will die. Get 1 kill with the help of your jungler and then deny him some farm as you can kill him before level 6 IF you are 1 kill ahead.
A rare and BORING lane. E him when he jumps on you and it is over. Again you can kill him if you play smart early... Then he becomes too tanky.
Buy boots at your first recal. Avoid his Q and he can not do anything at all. You must be able to kill him early before he becomes tanky: just bait him to use his Q and avoid it. Then dive him and he will die or recall.
E him when he is running towards you with Q. Then just punish the whole time. He can not do anything to you.
Boring lane. Dont dive him. He can only dive you if he first uses his R. just E him if that happens. Usually it will be a farming lane. He can kill you in 1vs1 but he will never get close to you if you are smart.
His damage on you is too much. Be very carefull when he is 6. Keep your flash and E for his R.
Easy kill in low levels. Otherwise whoever makes the first mistake and dies loses the lane.
Too easy lane in early game. If he makes the mistake to jump you E him away and then punish him. One poke with Q+E in cannon stance is enough to drop him so low that when your CD is up again you can safely dive him. He will either run away using FLASH on stay and die with one combo from you. around level 9 he will be stronger than you in 1vs1 mode but if you poke him before that he will not be able to dive cause you do too much damage on him and he is typically not a high HP or armor champion. If you mess up and die early game then later he will be a monster. So you need to play it good early.
+ TONS of damage.
+ His E has multiple uses (saving himself, throwing enemy into your team, High damage as a last hit when fighting).
+ He can buly his lane easily in early game.
+ He can kill carries with one combo.
- You have to train his Q+E skillshot as it is very important to never miss it (it does TONS of damage).
- All his skills must be used in different order according to each fight in order not to be a sitting duck. There are fights that you must stay in Cannon Stance a bit longer and other ones that you must go All In with Hammer Stance. That NEEDS practise or you may find yourself in a team fight changing into Hammer Stance and realising you can not dive in so you just lose important seconds that you can not do anything.
I also wont post a long detailed explanation about the items because the title of every build explains it all:
-If you are winning your lane follow the 1st item build.
-If you are tied in lane and it is a farm fest but the enemy team has not ways to kill you a lot then again follow the 1st item build.
-If you are losing your lane but the enemy team has not ways to kill you a lot then again follow the 1st item build.
-If the enemy team has many ways to kill you and dives on you a lot follow the 2nd item build no matter if you win or lose lane.
-If you are against an enemy who does heavy AP damage to you follow the 3rd item build. To clarify this some enemies, like Cho Gath for exaple, do scale with AP but they should not be able to ever come close to you so a Mercury's Treads will be all you need. No need for Maw of Malmortious in this match up. But some times you may face a Vladimir top or anyone who feels like to play something like Syndra (yes these picks exist sometimes) so you will need the extra MR of the 3rd item build. Even against a very offensive Maokai you will need the 3rd item build.
Some general rules:
- Do NOT push the lane if you are not sure you have an advantage. You are a squishy champion and if the enemy dives you, you must be close to your turret to escape.
- If you have a clear advantage and decide to push the lane always have a ward up. YOU ARE EASY TO KILL. You have to remember this. If you get ganged with the lane pushed towards your enemy and you did not see the gang coming with wards you will probably die. Except if the enemies fail their CC/skillshots.
- BULLY early game. At level 3 your Q+E combo is devastating with these runes. Two of these combos will give you advantage. You will get their potions, you may zone them and if they are not tanky they will HAVE TO go back or stay and die with one more combo. Some times your advantage after the successfull Q+E will be so clear that you may instantly R+Q+Hit+E them. This will leave them with so low health that they will be forced to recall. If they are not tanky they will just die. You just have to know against which champions you are safe to dive (read the "Threats to Jayce" section above CAREFULLY).
The same applies to squishy Supports, Mid Laners and Junglers. One Q+E takes out much of their health and forces them to have a disadvantage.
So just POKE. A lot.
When the team fight starts you will have an urge to dive in and create havoc because your damage output is huge. DO NOT DO IT. You will just die. You can only do this if your find a squishy target in a wrong position and you are sure that you will it instantly. Keep your Cannon Form and stay behind your initiator. Go in with Q+E or with hit+W depending on what the targets are and when things get more clear you decide your next move:
-If you are not focused and your team is winning the fight quickly use R and Q+hit the target that you will believe is the most appropriate one. Most of the times these are squishy ones but some times your team has to take out a Darius for example and you must help in this.
-If your team is winning but you are focused make the best out of it. If you are sure you will die use R+Q+hit+E on the closest and squishiest target possible so your team will clear them out. Dont Run. You have no escapes except of FLASH. If you are focused but you can escape with FLASH do it and when your enemies refocus on your other team members return and destroy them as your cooldowns are all up again.
- If your team is losing you can either turn the tide of the fight by killing the enemy most important carry with one combo or just realise that the fight is lost no matter what you do and try to save yourself.