Poppy Build Guide by Nonkinator
Your votes and comments encourage our guide authors to continue
creating helpful guides for the League of Legends community.
Tank Poppy Support
+15-135 Health (at levels 1-18) and +9 ability power or +5 attack damage, adaptive
Example Full Build
Threats to Poppy with this build
|Zac||Zac can not really do much against you. Just use your W when he wants to gank and you should be fine.|
|Lee Sin||Same as Zac: Just stop him with your W and you should be fine.|
Introduction: The Idea
Hi guys, I am Nonkinator and I play support only in League. Besides playing Braum, Bard and other regular supports, I really enjoy trying new champions as a support. The idea about Poppy was pretty simple: Her W must be pretty good to protect an ADC (in 2k17 LUL) from Rengar, Lee, Zac and their friends. So I tried it and it went pretty well :)
Why to pick Poppy as a support:
Poppy got some sick supporting skills:
- Her Passive can destroy the blue trinket, give you a shield, share a minion, do damage, etc.
- Her Q can do damage and slow the enemies, this is not THAT important, but still usefull.
- Her W can protect your ADC from all kinds of jumps and dashes (especially ganks), also speed.
- Her E can be used to knock the enemies into a wall or just push anyone away from your ADC.
- With her Ultimate, Poppy can interrupt, do damage or simply send people out of space.
- You will do tons of damage
- Poppy is very tanky
- Lots of CC over all
- Works with APCs as well, especially because you do AD.
=> Good support
When to pick Poppy as a support:
Things that will help Poppy:
- Own ADC got some CC (Jhin, Vayne, Ashe, Cait)
- Own ADC can do some burst (f.e. MF)
- Enemie Botlane got few CC (NOT Morgana)
- Enemies got jumps, dashes, etc. that can be blocked by your W (Rengar, Lee Sin, Zac, Lucian, etc. )
- Enemies got no escape spells or not much mobility
- Enemies like to stand close to walls :)
- You need a tank
Things that are bad for Poppy
- Opposite of things above
- Getting damage before Level 3
- Interruptions of her Ultimate
Poppy is a good allrounder and can be picked early (People will think you are the Top-Laner) but you alwys have to estimate the Pros and Cons in the current situation
So, the new runes are finally here and they give us many new ways of playing League of Legends. (I recommend watching the video below if you haven't played for a while and are not familiar with the changes)
After playing a couple of games with Poppy I kind of figured out which runes are espescially usefull:
Major Runes:Poppy is a tank and so it should be pretty clear that Resolve should be your first choice here. Other runes might work out aswell but being tanky is just too important for Poppy.
Choosing your keystone is way harder:
1. I would consider Grasp of the undying as the worst choice. It sounds good in theory but on botlane you will be playing against at least one ranged opponent who is going to win every auto-attack battle by just kiting you.
2. Aftershock is a good way of dealing more damage. You can trigger it pretty easily with your E-charge and if you knock anyone into a wall he/she will pe close to you long enough to actually get the damage. I recommend this if you want to be agressive in lane and whenever the enemies can't hurt your ADC very much in the early gamne(Mostly depends on enemy sup and your ADC). It its actual state I would consider it the best choice.
3. Guardian is best for defensive situations to just protect your ADC. It is kind of weakening your engages and forces you to stay close to your ADC but this is worth if you play against early-agressive lanes like zyra or her friends.
In the end it depends on your playstyle and the matchup so it is probably the best choice to choose the keystone before every game.
In addition to that I recommend Font of Life, Conditioning and Overgrowth in the Resolve-tree.
Font of Life is indeed the a hard choice because pushing towers is not that bad too. But i guess keeping your ADC alive is more important as a tank support. (And if ardent gets buffed again, this would work aswell :D). What makes Font of Life even stronger is the fact that Poppy has so much CC and can trigger it so easily.
Conditioning has no real alternative, it's just the strongest of all three options. The only time you should consider another one is when the enemy botlane only does one type of damage (AD or AP), but that is pretty rare.
Overgrowth is making you tanky and has a symbiosis with Solari. The alternative Second Wind is not bad at all and is pretty usefull in fights but especially in late game Overgroth will serve you very well.
I personally think Domination with Cheap Shot and Zombie Ward is a pretty good choice in minor runes because Cheap Shot lets you do more damage (hitting opponents while they are unable to move happens often when playing Poppy) and Zombie wards adds a whole new level to warding.
As seen in LCK and LCS, it is pretty popular right now to use Spellbook and stopwatches on almost any champion. I would honestly not recommend playing with spellbook unless you have a team-strategy and/or made a plan with your ADC. For example being able to use teleport with a Sivir in the early game can be very strong, but for your everyday-SoloQ-game I still recommend to just go for the tank runes, especially because you can use Aftershock so well.
Perfect timing (the free Stopwatch) is a good choice in my opinion, I would recommend it as a minor rune if you do not want to go for Domination.
Since there are so many minor runes to pick, there are obviously other options. I personally like:
- Ghost Poro (improves warding)
- Ultimate Hat (usefull because the Ultimate-Cooldown is so high)
- Gahtering Storm (lets you do damage in lategame)
- Celerity (for engages with Poppys W)
- Biscuit Delivery (better lane)
- Magical Footwear (easier and earlier W engages)
- Celestial Body (getting tanky)
- Cosmic Insight (early CDR)
If you tried something else and had success and/or with it, please feel free to let me know.
I used to say, that there are two MUST-HAVES, but Riot deleted one, so there is just Targon's Brace left as a MUST-BUY:
As a support, one of your maijor tasks is to ward so you will definetly need this item.
A support without a support item is use- (or more precisely money-) less so you definetly have to start with one. The green item is the best for Poppy because sharing minions with your passive works so good (It is an easy way to get your shield and some money). The blue supporting item would be useless anyways and buying coin just ghives you pretty useless item after you completed the quest (Eye of Ascension is just weak on Poppy).
Since Riot deleted Ruby, there is only one way to continue building the support item.
I always recommend building Locket of the Iron Solari and Knight's Vow too. This items give you a shield to keep your team alive, damage reduction for your ADC and some good tank stats too. Building it early in the game will protect your whole team and especially you.
Everything else is up to you! (It should be kind of supporting or tanky)
Here are some of my favorites:
- Righteous Glory (Health, armor and better engage)
- Frozen Mallet (Health, damage and slow)
- Spirit Visage (Health and Magic Resistance, works very well with Redemption and Knight's Vow)
- Gargoyle Stoneplate (More tank, less damagage)
So, that's basically it :D
I don't want to tell you what to do exactly in every situation because you should try it out yourself and find out, what's the best for you. Try different things and see what works best for, just don't forget to slam some enemy ADCs into walls.
Thank you very much for your interest in my little Poppy-Support-Guide! If there is something in your mind, feel free to tell my in the discussion and please also feel free to rate this guide.
Good luck and have fun with Poppy support!
Edit: Thank you very much guys, I never expected this to get this many views :D
Edit 2: 100k! I am so happy right now. Thank you for all the nice commends, the votes and your appreciation. Now that the runes are done aswell I actually consider making more guides for unusual supports i like (Shen, Pantheon, Maokai, etc.) Please let me know if you are interested!.