This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page
Pyke Build Guide by mintguitar
Your votes and comments encourage our guide authors to continue
creating helpful guides for the League of Legends community.
Threats & Synergies
All match-ups are very subjective depending on the game ! Udyr right now is a pain to jungle against for pretty much any jungler HOWEVER. If you can pick up a kill or two from your lanes and secure your red/blue and at least one scuttle you should be able to box this guy, keep your distance and abuse your cc, level 6 is your opportunity to blow him up.
All match-ups are very subjective depending on the game ! Secure your important camps/buffs, force ganks at level 2 onwards, same as Udyr.
All match-ups are very subjective depending on the game ! Secure your important camps/buffs, force ganks at level 2 onwards, same as Udyr and Xin.
Pyke and Kayn are honestly not too dissimilar, both rely on getting slightly ahead during the laning phase, from there they can become complete animals to deal with. This one comes down to how you play the early game, this guy won't be as likely to invade and threaten you like Udyr, Xin and Graves, but he will try to smite away your camps with his ghost walk. Keep well warded around your important camps and utilise your stun/smite to secure scuttler.
I ban this guy every game so as for matchups on him, I'm not too sure. One can only assume that it's pretty one sided, Yi isn't likely to counter jungle as much as the previous mentions either, however he'll farm until he's relevant and destroy you. However, your hard cc may cause him problems all game long - an interesting match up.
No threat counter jungling, not particularly great overall at the moment and can really suffer when behind, steal his camps whilst he ganks and try to keep yourself or lanes significantly ahead, he'll disappear into irrelevancy.
Rammus typically performs well against AD champs but if you're ahead you'll nuke him with your E/Auto/Q/R, if he gets ahead he could cause you problems but playing from behind with a strong, resettable execute is surprisingly easier than you'd think.
Who will get ahead first? Both Kha and Ren can be particularly scary junglers, your strong suit here is to E away when they engage, stunning them in the process and then the world is your oyster. If you have a couple of items and they aren't hugely ahead/holding gold then you can probably take them down pretty fast but be weary, these guys can and will one shot you if they get the chance. Stay vigilante.
Read Kha's entry. ^
Taliyah jungle has become a popular pick in 8.11 with her insane clear capabilities but at the end of the day she's still a mage, and needs a bit of item support to start really hurting you, most Taliyah jungle players will take damage during their clear due to inexperience and this can be abused to your advantage, and you can also dodge a lot of her abilities with your E/W.
Skill based matchup in my opinion, you can avoid her Q and destroy her if she's unfortunate/inexperienced. If she R/Qs you could be in trouble but if you keep your E/W handy (one should always be kept around if you're not confident on securing a kill) you should be safe to disengage.
Shockingly you can probably escape this guy with a clever E/W combination if he catches you with an ult, otherwise this matchup is pretty fair game. Don't expect to every dual him but if you make enough of an impact across the map you can ruin this bad dog in team fights with your cc and dis positioning tools.
Same situation as Vi, except this guy falls off the face of the earth late where you can really excel against the opposing squishies, a pretty good matchup if you can avoid boxing him early unless you're ahead.
Squishy, immobile supports and adcs are your prey as Pyke, mid-late your ult will be executing them at half hp and you can kill them early with or without help if your electrocute is up. Easy stuff!
One of your easier matchups if you can keep yourself ahead of her, you can quite easily dodge her abilities and hurt her all in one go with your E engage, she's very squishy so when ahead, she's an R away from being blown up. You can also chase her ulti escape once you pick up some CDR!
- I don't know if it has been some off games or the Electrocute nerfs have truly been impactful towards this build. I've decided to hot swap it out for Dark Harvest and I'm getting far more reliable results, the initiation damage is useful and only scales as the game progresses, you usually combo an auto after your Q or E so the inclusion of Dark Harvest adds nothing but extra damage that you lose in the absence of old electrocute. I'll continue experimenting and see if any other changes are necessary!
- It felt like these patches came and went with the wind with things not changing at all between the two, 8.16 looks to be relatively threatening to Pyke's Jungle potential due to the nerfs to common assassin runes such as Electrocute, Sudden Impact, etc. I'll be sure to note how those impact his game, and maybe look to swap out Electrocute for Dark Harvest. The main problem is, I want this build to be considered something actually niche-viable rather than a "troll pick" like full AP Nunu or Malphite, etc.
- My initial worries about Pyke's clear and role in the Jungle are long-gone, and I've even began to experiment playing more aggressive, contesting enemy buffs or trying to get early picks. This has surprisingly been mostly successful,having your E held will pretty much guarantee a buff steal 9/10, even if the enemy top/mid laners come to shut you down.
- I've recently hit Platinum and the extent of this builds' viability seems unchanged.
- No changes to runes or build path, the changes they made to increase Pyke's scaling (in order to counteract his viability as a full tank supp) has allowed this build to flourish furthermore as an off-meta jungle choice. General pathing unchanged. Go out there and kill some captains!
- Last Stand Swapped out for Legend: Alacrity - The extra attack speed actually helps you clear far better, which has allowed me to be more impactful in games. I've actually managed to be ahead on kill participation AND farm than Evelynn and other junglers since using this, which was a rarity for me on Pyke in the past.
- Ultimate Hunter is very useful in my experience, must have on this build! (There was doubt about this before) Gives you further incentive to get unique takedowns, which also helps your clear by stacking your Alacrity. A win-win situation which helps you scale much better into the game than with the prior runes.
- Jungle route stays unchanged. Red > Raptors > Scuttle > Leech level 3 whilst passing through mid > second scuttle (if available) > blue, ganks, etc. OR Blue > Gromp > Scuttle > Leech level 3 through mid > second scuttle (if available) > Red > ganks, etc.
- Build path stays unchanged. Cleaver is too valuable and there's no better damage for his kit than just a pure assassin build.
8.11: Guide Created
I am a jungle main, and often play tank junglers, with Volibear and Zac being my bread and butter.
Pyke's Ghostwater Dive (W) and Phantom Undertow (E) are ridiculously useful map traversing/engaging tools, and in combination with his Bone Skewer (Q), Death From Below (R) make for a unique and actually pretty powerful ganking combination, whilst still staying relevant in teamfights because of the multi-target stun and 5-man execute potential.
My main fear is Riot will increase his damage numbers to help his poor winrate, but reduce his damage to monsters to balance him even further into the support role, people who currently say that Thresh, Leona or other supports were thought to be viable junglers are forgetting that this guy has a massively impactful execute and ridiculous near-assassin worthy damage and crazy survivability, making him actually useful and suiting for the role.
- Crazy movement speed and map movement (E that can hop most walls and W)
- Execute can destroy squishies and tanks alike, crazy damage scaling even after the nerf from 140-60%
- Great health sustain on gank, with a relatively healthy clear
- Shares gold on ult, allowing him to get himself and laners ahead all in one go. Extremely useful
- A lot of CC, 90% slow, pluck and stun. Oh and death, I guess.
- Feels incredibly tanky despite not being able to scale with health and typically fills full AD, his passive, Gift of the Drowned ones can entirely replenish your health after a rough engagement and you have two tools to get out with on.
- Has no problem getting on targets, I'm yet to actually find a champ that can get away from me whilst fed, Tristana W/R maybe?
- Can play from behind relatively well if the game isn't a complete blowout, people will forget that regardless of the situation, he still has plenty of cc and an execute and it will punish lower elos without fail
- Vulnerable to counter jungling but can be prevented/punishing for the opponent if played right by you and your allies
- Slow early until level 6 if you get no good gank opportunities, long cooldowns!
- Your team might tilt on-sight | Might get blamed until you get a triple kill or two, and then they'll quiet down
- Relies on his team to secure objectives and turrets. I do see split push potential with his escape abilities however, maybe a tankier demolish build is worth looking at?
- When Pyke is unseen by enemies, he rapidly consumes his Grey Health to heal for the same amount.
Pyke's passive has little to no functionality in the jungle but when it comes to mid/late team fights and even ganks, the sheer amount of healing you can get dipping in and out whilst trying to get picks is incredible and often feels like you have more than one life.
Q - Bone Skewer
- FIRST CAST: Pyke charges for up to 3 seconds, increasing Bone Skewer's range by up to 700 units while being slowed by 20%.
SECOND CAST: After a brief delay, Pyke hurls his harpoon forward, dealing Attack damage physical damage to the first enemy struck, pulling them a fixed 550 units towards him and slowing them by 90% for 1 second.
Bone Skewer is a pretty awesome muti-functional tool for Pyke, not only does it have a high amount of damage for such a useful hooking tool but it also applies a 90% slow, and has an alternative stab when you tap Q to deal a bit more damage, hooking, flipping or just outright damaging enemies feels great
W - Ghostwater Dive
- Pyke enters Ambush 2 camouflage and gains bonus movement speed decaying over 5 seconds. Enemies are notified if Pyke is within X-units of them.
Speeeeed, what more is there to say? great boost to your mobility and a stealth to keep your enemies guessing, Ghostwater Dive not only helps engage from all angles but it can also proc your passive allowing you to pretty much free heal outside of the brush if the enemy has vision.
E - Phantom Undertow
- Pyke dashes, leaving behind a drowned phantom.
After 1 second, the phantom returns to Pyke, dealing physical damage and stunning enemy champions it passes through.
Nice little hop ability that drags a stun through your enemies faces, this can easily catch out two or more unsuspecting enemies if they stack up needlessly, allowing you to stack damage with your Q or R, it works as a dash but can clear most walls larger than its range, allowing for some unique gank paths. Oh, and the E - flash combo to extend the range!
R - Death from Below
- Pyke strikes in an X-shaped area, executing enemies below 190 - 655 (based on level) (+ 60% bonus AD) health while dealing the same amount as physical damage to enemies not within the threshold for execution.
Death from Below 2
If Death from Below hits an enemy champion, Pyke will blink to the center of the X. If an enemy champion dies in the X, the last assisting ally is granted full kill gold, and Pyke gains the ability to recast within 20 seconds at no cost.
Probably my favourite ability in the entire game right now, it feels completely badass and it's extremely satisfying to use, an execute is an execute and is extremely valuable regardless of the situation. oh, and it resets. and gives your most recent assisting allies the gold too. *shrugs* awesome to use from the jungle.