Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's second Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! šŸ†
's Forum Avatar

Defense items: which ones to choose

Creator: TheJohn June 11, 2011 6:17pm
1 2 3
Temzilla
<Member>
Temzilla's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 12, 2011 6:19pm | Report

Morde doesnt have any natural CC... so Randuin's Omen in my opinion is a must for him if you are even thinking about being a semi viable tank option.

I run

Sorcerer's Shoes
Force of Nature
Randuin's Omen
Hextech Revolver (upgrade later)
Rabadon's Deathcap
Rylai's Crystal Scepter
Hextech Gunblade

I have even ran 3x Hextech Gunblades before. Was fun.

Gunblades are awesome fun :P

But i want to reiterate something.

Why would you pick items on mordekaiser in order to make him a better tank when he isn't a tank, and shouldn't be last picked without a proper initiator?

My usual build as Mordekaiser is:

Sorcerer's Shoes
Will of the Ancients
Frozen Heart
Force of Nature
Abyssal Mask
Hextech Gunblade

And do you know why i don't take Merc Treads, or Health items?

Because Mordekaiser doesn't need them against teams with no major CC abilities, if the enemy team has a menagerie of CC, you shouldn't pick Mordekaiser, and i don't need to imitate, because my team has a tank.

It's silly to itemize him for initiation when he shouldn't be initiating. (Says the guy who wrote a guide on how to itemize mordekaiser as an initiator...)
Tri lane for life.
Sacull_Kinslayer
<Member>
Sacull_Kinslayer's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 12, 2011 6:39pm | Report
I run 2x tanky items on Morde to survive and make the shield even better. But that is me personally. I mention the Randuins Omen and the semblance of tanking because it was previously mentioned. Morde is not a tank in my opinion. Never is and never will be. He is a Battlemage. Short range nukes and high survivability. With no natural CC.

I need to try him without Rylais and replace it with an abyssal or zhonyas. Or second hextech.
Did I manage to assist you in any way? Hook me up by hitting that nifty +Rep button.

All guides have been archived due to my not being able to play LoL currently. The information is still there and is good but until I return they will be archived. I am able to keep them updated and current though.

Vladimir's Blood Resource. Designed for beginner's and beyond.
Vladimir's Blood Resource: Post Nerf Edition.
The Exemplar of Tanking: Jarvan IV .

Making a Guide by jhoijhoi This is everything you need to know about making a guide. Amazing.

...and Buffy staked Edward. The End.
Temzilla
<Member>
Temzilla's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 12, 2011 6:42pm | Report

I run 2x tank items on Morde to survive and make the shield even better. But that is me personally. I mention the Randuins Omen and the semblance of tanking because it was previously mentioned. Morde is not a tank in my opinion. Never is and never will be. He is a Battlemage. Short range nukes and high survivability. With no natural CC.

I know what you mean by the two tank items thing.

I run Abyssal because it's cheaper than Rabadon's, and gives me more MR, but i play him tankier than i should most of the time.

I need to learn Anti-Carry Morde soon.
Tri lane for life.
TheJohn
<Editor>
TheJohn's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 13, 2011 5:21am | Report

I remember when I was made fun of for running Ionian Boots and Hextech Revolver(s) on Vlad. People couldn't grasp it because no "high ELO" players had done it. Glad the higher ELOs could finally catch up. And now Vlad is considered highest tier even after his last nerf and getting an item nerfed. And because of this "new" build that the higher ELOs finally "discovered" he is getting a huge nerf.

Same with Jarvan. I ran him as a tank from day one. Was laughed at for that because everyone thought he was only DPS. Now he is considered a one of the better tanks/offtanks.

Some people are VERY closed minded when it comes to trying new things. And in a game like this it is forever changing. I remember when Jungle Eve became an overnight sensation here.

I had the same problem. I was the only one I knew that got hextech on vlad and got manamune on jarvan (he lacks mana, I've lost many kills already).

I dont want to make you guys sad, but AP Mordekaiser is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. You dont need hextech, you dont need rabadon, you dont need will of ancients. If you get some def items and Rylays, you'll do a lot better.

Sunfire is useless. Take a look at it and Randuins. I prefer to spend some more gold to get more def and a good passive against attacks than a little more damage.
AFKwithyoursister's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 13, 2011 5:29pm | Report
An item that I didn't see mentioned here is Quicksilver Sash. I feel that this is an underrated item. The cleanse like effect is great for trolling people who ignite/exhaust you, as well as WW ults and Malz ults. Situational, but still a worthy defensive item. (Cheap price too.)

Fearless bush diving

Lugignaf
<Veteran>
Lugignaf's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 13, 2011 5:41pm | Report

An item that I didn't see mentioned here is Quicksilver Sash. I feel that this is an underrated item. The cleanse like effect is great for trolling people who ignite/exhaust you, as well as WW ults and Malz ults. Situational, but still a worthy defensive item. (Cheap price too.)

Don't forget Vlad or another Mordekaiser's ult either.
Sacull_Kinslayer
<Member>
Sacull_Kinslayer's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 13, 2011 8:13pm | Report
TheJohn wrote:

I had the same problem. I was the only one I knew that got hextech on vlad and got manamune on jarvan (he lacks mana, I've lost many kills already).

I dont want to make you guys sad, but AP Mordekaiser is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. You dont need hextech, you dont need rabadon, you dont need will of ancients. If you get some def items and Rylays, you'll do a lot better.

Sunfire is useless. Take a look at it and Randuins. I prefer to spend some more gold to get more def and a good passive against attacks than a little more damage.

Try a more AP build with Morde sometime. I think you might be surprised. His AP scaling is sweet and his damage becomes his shield... more damage more shield etc. And it makes Children of the Grave RIDICULOUSLY strong. With a decent amount of AP it is one of the hardest hitting nukes in the game because of the percent damage. And with the right ghost... you can destroy a team. And your ghost's damage fuels your shield... and it gets bonuses from your AP as well.

A tip on Jarvan. I play Jarvan as a tank and tried Manamune on him. Took too long to build and delayed my tanking. So what I did instead was I now run flat yellow Mp5 runes and blue Mp5 PER LEVEL. I rarely ever have mana problems now with Jarvan and I can use that item slot on something better. However for a DPS build Manamune makes sense.
Did I manage to assist you in any way? Hook me up by hitting that nifty +Rep button.

All guides have been archived due to my not being able to play LoL currently. The information is still there and is good but until I return they will be archived. I am able to keep them updated and current though.

Vladimir's Blood Resource. Designed for beginner's and beyond.
Vladimir's Blood Resource: Post Nerf Edition.
The Exemplar of Tanking: Jarvan IV .

Making a Guide by jhoijhoi This is everything you need to know about making a guide. Amazing.

...and Buffy staked Edward. The End.
1 2 3

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide