Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's first Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! 🏆
's Forum Avatar

No real point in making guides on this site

Creator: cooper56 December 16, 2011 2:55pm
Nighthawk
<Veteran>
Nighthawk's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 21, 2011 5:16pm | Report
That's not what the player finder says, Jhoi :P

Jet wrote:
i always thought read was xaioli

they both cry whenever i post
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 21, 2011 5:34pm | Report
lol Night :P <3
Xenasis
<Member>
Xenasis's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 21, 2011 5:44pm | Report
jhoijhoi wrote:

EDIT: As for displaying guides with scout points, we don't want to. Once guides are featured, they'll get some sort of symbol, but we want scout points to remain a secret - so people can't send scouts PMs asking for their guide to get featured if they need one more point or whatever.

Oh no, that would be a terrible idea! I didn't mean that at all!

The thing is - there will be a few high elo people that browse the site, at least. If we can wake up their dormancy, and get about two (hell, I'm sure we could find 2 platinums) high elo players to start it off, it will attract more players here. There's a reason Mobafire's got a bad reputation elsewhere and a reason that pro players post their guides on TSM's website. If we can at least SHOW people "THIS IS A GOOD GUIDE APPROVED BY A GOOD PLAYER", they might have more incentive to post here.

As for pro players disagreeing -
I'm sure they do. However, if it's something negligible such as if the top rated guide should be a WW jungle or lane guide (which, at the moment, points completely to lane, his jungle's bad now), then they'd just rec both. As I said, it would be better to either use the old Vet Rec system for something like that, or simply leave them be. There can be multiple ways to play champions, as is the case for someone like Udyr, who can solo top AND jungle, though both require different skill orders and items. There doesn't have to be a great divide between which is better.

I think the main thing we need to add to the scout system, though (or a high elo/pro system if we could get one going!) would be a badge. Not only on the guide itself in a similar manner as the Vet Rec added one, but to the right hand side, where the list of guides is. At the moment people don't think "Oh, I'll look for a featured guide" unless they know something about the community here, but if it has a fancy badge at the edge of it, even if it isn't the highest rated, they will take it into consideration.

I just had an idea whilst writing that, too.

You could have a section above the champion guides and below that player's guides having featured champion guides for that champion, which sorts by %. E.G. if there are 3 recommended Ashe guides, one 50%, one 54%, and one 56%, they'd have a special section, and even though I doubt they'd make it to the top 10, though they're good enough to be recommended, they will be considered a LOT by players looking for guides.

I would reword that and put it into suggestions, but meh. It's late.
Nighthawk
<Veteran>
Nighthawk's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 21, 2011 6:08pm | Report
We could always just have guide makers put in what elo the build/guide is for and have search parameters through that, eg sally makes a 2200 elo guide, bob makes a 1500 elo guide, etc

Xenasis
<Member>
Xenasis's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 21, 2011 6:30pm | Report
Nighthawk wrote:

We could always just have guide makers put in what elo the build/guide is for and have search parameters through that, eg sally makes a 2200 elo guide, bob makes a 1500 elo guide, etc

That would make absolutely no sense.

Sally's guide would be superior to Bob's guide, assuming they both put the same amount of effort, etc, into it.

Why would that advantage the system in any way?...
Yougan
<Member>
Yougan's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 22, 2011 12:18am | Report
It's possible! =O

Thanks to jhoijhoi, Brynolf, Jeffy40hands, Samoh, MissMaw, Vavena, Koksei and The-Nameless-Bard for my signs
TheWeekndOVOXO
<Member>
TheWeekndOVOXO's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 22, 2011 1:28am | Report
Xenasis wrote:

That would make absolutely no sense.

Sally's guide would be superior to Bob's guide, assuming they both put the same amount of effort, etc, into it.

Why would that advantage the system in any way?...

Yeh, Xen is absolutely correct. It's totally unfair to judge guides by the owner's ELO.
(Discontinued)
orhpeus
<Member>
orhpeus's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 22, 2011 1:34am | Report
I am relatively new here so bear in mind that I am totally biased to this site because I use it exclusively.
That being said I think attracting some big names would be the best move and here is how I think it could work.

A lot of good guides have a "post your match results here!" section to show how other people fair with the build. Often times the sections don't show how the guide really fairs because someone could go 19/2/15 in a normal unranked game against noobs or whatever.
I think if you had a way for a high elo player to say "I used this guide, or worked from it" that appears somewhere noticeable, that might give guides merit.

lets say a platinum elo player really digs a guide and gives it a +1, that doesn't really mean more than someone else giving +1
but if somewhere near the top of a guide (like a special badge) it showed that a high elo player had some success with the guide, that could be a factor over the simple overall percentage of upvotes and downvotes. It would be an additional way for guides to have merit and allow guides with less overall ratings to maybe get looked at.

furthermore if someone really big in the LOL community gives their stamp of approval that might make MOBAfire appear more legit. Getting that to happen would be as simple as asking: "hey big platinum ELO guys test these builds out and give us feedback" and maybe offer some incentive. Of course I do not know any high ELO players, but I am sure finding them would be simple enough.
When in the heart of battle, knowledge, courage, and camaraderie overcome all else

The name is no typo, Friend me if you wanna play!
Nighthawk
<Veteran>
Nighthawk's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 22, 2011 5:36am | Report
^ good idea actually!

Also @Xen

Not quite. They are different guides for different purposes. Carrying in 1500 is different then carrying in 2200.

We've also already established that most high elo players don't want to write really great 50k word guides anyways.

Also i'm not saying people have to input it, but if they do you can search for guides by elo etc.

DuffTime
<Member>
DuffTime's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 22, 2011 9:47am | Report
An example, if I might.

We have a platinum player, who is part of a team which has played a reasonable amount against top teams.

You can see here in his guide that he rattles off some of the top player's name in succession;

http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-legends/build/chandros-tournament-corki-136711

And yet, only 23 votes.

This has worked in tournament format against teams like CLG, but it's not established yet as the #1 guide.

I think the issue people are having is that logically, that doesn't make sense, and could potentially look bad on MobaFire to outsiders.

*Goes to nominate*

Also;

orhpeus wrote:

furthermore if someone really big in the LOL community gives their stamp of approval that might make MOBAfire appear more legit. Getting that to happen would be as simple as asking: "hey big platinum ELO guys test these builds out and give us feedback" and maybe offer some incentive. Of course I do not know any high ELO players, but I am sure finding them would be simple enough.

Why would they do that? I wouldn't even want to do that, and I'm not a famous high elo player.

Unless you pay them, I don't think they will test out guides written by lower skill players.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide