Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

MOBAFire's first Mini Guide Contest of Season 14 is here! Create or update guides for the 30 featured champions and compete for up to $200 in prizes! 🏆
's Forum Avatar

No real point in making guides on this site

Creator: cooper56 December 16, 2011 2:55pm
Nighthawk
<Veteran>
Nighthawk's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 20, 2011 4:36pm | Report
Yeah I think the scout system is pretty good now.

The rest of that post was just personal :P

DuffTime
<Member>
DuffTime's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 20, 2011 4:38pm | Report
Jhoi likes making statements based on things she assumes, without taking the time to find out if she even -remotely- knows what she is talking about.

Me and Matt have had private discussions about the topic, he's a really nice and understanding guy. I'm gonna watch how things go for a little while and if I change my mind about my current position it would be easily resolved.
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 20, 2011 4:42pm | Report
^Of course it will, he gives and takes when people ask. You're not the first. And I assumed that you didn't want to be a vet because you didn't like the vet status. Am I incorrect? Because that is what I've assumed from all you comments about not wanting to be a vet. If you want people to stop assuming, then maybe you should tell everyone why you declined vet, scout and editor status.
DuffTime
<Member>
DuffTime's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 20, 2011 4:47pm | Report
Yes, I am not a vet, because I don't want to be a Vet.

Being a Vet is not something you have to, "Man up and accept Jhoi."

Get over yourself.
Wayne3100
<Retired Admin>
Wayne3100's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 20, 2011 4:53pm | Report
The only thing I know you disliked was the recommendation system. With that being changed, what's stopping you from becoming a vet, exactly? The experiences you've had with some vets who were unfriendly to you in the past?

What about Editor/Scout, anything wrong with that?

Thanks to MissMaw for the signature!
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 20, 2011 4:54pm | Report
1) You don't want to be a vet... because you don't want to be a vet.
2) I assumed you didn't want to be a vet because you thought that vets "had too much power"
3) I said "man up" because sometimes you have to get out of your comfort zone to find out new things. If you simply accepted being a vet for a short amount of time, saw what it was about, what we did, what scouts did, the amount of work editors are doing, perhaps you'd want to be amongst these groups of people. By ***** footing around, you're not achieving anything besides making people wonder why you're not a vet. You say "Silver Bolts on Vayne all the way" and instead of ignoring you, I tried it. I'm open to all suggestions and I try everything. You should give being a vet a go, it's not like people will suddenly hate you because you have a green name.

*puts hand over head* *puts other hand over head*

It seems I cannot get over myself, sorry.
DuffTime
<Member>
DuffTime's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 20, 2011 5:08pm | Report
Yeah it's basically because of people like Jhoi Jhoi that some people here have a bad outlook on the Vets, Wayne.

The others just keep quiet about it, but I don't do that.

I know what work editors are doing. I see the results on the site.

Well you ought to get over yourself.

Nice usage of statements like man up and quit ***** footing around. I like the implications there, good touch.
Xenasis
<Member>
Xenasis's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 20, 2011 5:09pm | Report
jhoijhoi wrote:

As for scout system being unfair, there are currently two featured guides.

Because the scouts aren't handing out scout points.

Really? If the is then there should be bigger effort in advertising them just as vet recommendations worked.

The fact that scouts not handing out points and it being broken wasn't my point, I didn't say it was unfair, just it still didn't present an accurate view of a good guide. You don't need skill to be a scout, and as such, anybody can scout point anything.

jhoijhoi wrote:

So... those who are saying that random guides that are not good are going to be scouted and featured, you're absolutely wrong.

Quite the opposite. I said that random guides that ARE good won't be scouted and featured. I didn't say random guides will be scouted and featured, more, guides that are top rated will end up remaining top rated and will likely be "scouted", even though it's a bad guide, and is generally verbose rather than full of useful information.

jhoijhoi wrote:

Current way it's handled is that a thread goes up about a champion, and each scout may nominate as many guides as they like for that champion. The other scouts then discuss in that thread the viability of the nominations, and what needs to be done to the guide before they give their scout points. The thread maker then collects all this information and PMs the author of the nomination.

Decent idea - but bribing people to change their guides with points seems silly. Again, if, say, a low skilled player suggests a change (E.G. "LOL Y U NO START WITH MEKI PENDANT ON ASHE? CHANGE NOW!") - it could result in bad guides being featured, either for their obedience to change the guide, or fact that someone has persuaded them to change their guide for the worse. I'd still think it would be a better idea to have an elo range or something for people to vote on guides. ANYBODY with enough rep can be a scout.

jhoijhoi wrote:

Once the author has changed their guide, or explained reasoning behind their choices, the guide is then scouted with scout discretion.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Reasoning alone doesn't make something good. If I make a wall of text about why Tiamat is good for Soraka because it gives her helpful stats like MP5 and HP5, and also allowing her to farm easier, though it explained it, it doesn't make it any better.

jhoijhoi wrote:

If you still don't think this jury type vote (a LARGE amount of scout points is needed for a guide to get featured, to give you a rough idea, the two featured guides are over 11+ scout points) isn't enough to filter good guides then WHAT THE **** DO YOU WANT. Like seriously.

As I say (and have said), I'd like a system that's somewhat related to skill. Weighted votes, skilled recommendations, etc, would be far better. Not that I'm questioning any Scouts' judgement - but reputation isn't gained through skill. Nor is the scout title. It simply isn't logical to have low skilled players passing judgement over how good a guide is just because they have more rep than someone who hasn't (or something), if someone joins the site with 10 rep, 200 posts, but has 2000 elo, I'm certain they'd know more about the game than most scouts.

TL;DR
The scout system isn't based on how good a guide is from a high skill perspective, and that's all that matters as far as guides go. I don't mean how it would work in tournaments, but I'm sure (hypothetically speaking) that Reginald would be able to guide, or pass judgement over an AP Shyvana guide better than any scout that we have. Of course I don't mean hire Reginald, I mean he's a good player - and will know far more about the game than any of us do. There should be a skill based recommendation, in my opinion.

There's my "two cents" on the Scout system anyway. We're not going to get anywhere by coating it in sugar, pretending it's the best system in the world.
Nighthawk
<Veteran>
Nighthawk's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 20, 2011 5:14pm | Report
Jhoi...

You really need to get over Duff. :/

He doesn't want to be a vet/take no responsibility on the forum?

Your response should be:

"Whatever."

not:

"Be a man"

This is really tiring me out :/

DuffTime
<Member>
DuffTime's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 20, 2011 5:16pm | Report
Seriously.

You need to log in before commenting.