Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Why do pro guides get recommendations?

Creator: Dante Rebellion August 1, 2011 6:52am
JEFFY40HANDS
<Altruistic Artist>
JEFFY40HANDS's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 1, 2011 2:21pm | Report
Good question....*shifty eyes*
Searz
<Ancient Member>
Searz's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 1, 2011 2:30pm | Report
Because Vets don't rec each others' guides unless they're good.

I've recced 2 vet guides, but far more other guides. I should read more vet guides :3
"If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F Roberts
JEFFY40HANDS
<Altruistic Artist>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 1, 2011 2:38pm | Report
I think I should be a vet :D

Naw none of my guides are awesome enough. Nor am I even close to awesome enough myself. Blahhhh maybe someday.

But yeah Saitviscious is an idiot. Wish I could punch him in the face amongst other acts of violence.

As for pro guides getting recs...I don't think they should be able to. Unless they compare in the depth of a guide like Apotheosis' one for Tryn....Or even half that good would suffice.
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 1, 2011 2:49pm | Report
Matt wrote:
The letting vets recommend each other is tricky. It is a bit of a landmine but at the same time, many of our best authors are vets, and their guides should be on that list! If we explain very clearly that the admins are monitoring this, and that the vets cannot promote themselves, and that it will be used honestly and any reports of misuse will be investigated directly by admins.

Again, I ask if anyone believes if I have "misused" my rec'ing abilities. Trawl through my list of rec'd guides and tell me which don't deserve rec's.

I'm a bit annoyed to be honest.
guide writing tips 'n tricksashes to ashesfancy a sig?

♡ sig by marcospyder ♡
JEFFY40HANDS
<Altruistic Artist>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 1, 2011 2:53pm | Report
Annoyed about hwhat exactly? As far as I'm concerned if a vet has given rep it is well earned. It's not like every guide on Moba has a vet's approval nor does every guide require vet's approval. Everthings working as intended for the most part.
Lugignaf
<Veteran>
Lugignaf's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 1, 2011 2:58pm | Report
jhoijhoi wrote:

Again, I ask if anyone believes if I have "misused" my rec'ing abilities. Trawl through my list of rec'd guides and tell me which don't deserve rec's.

I'm a bit annoyed to be honest.

I'm not directing it at you. I'm just saying, at least 1/3 of the recc'ed guides are vet or higer guides. You, jhoi, I do not think you abuse your power. You review guides and I think you'r eusing your power in a fine fashion.
Sig courtesy of GrandmasterD. Go get your own sig from them. :D
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 1, 2011 3:02pm | Report
Ahk, good ^^ Because I've only rec'd one vet guide, all the rest have been members of the community who hadn't received rec's before (besides Dotter).
guide writing tips 'n tricksashes to ashesfancy a sig?

♡ sig by Jovy ♡
Trojan995
<Veteran>
Trojan995's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 1, 2011 3:03pm | Report
Lugignaf wrote:

The point of them not being able to be recc'ed was that they would already have extra attention from the green name instead of being recc'ed. Why is that not the case now?

When the guide filter became more specialized to include vet reccs at the top of the list, it kind of came as a disadvantage to vets with good guides that weren't there.

So, when vet recc's are mixed in with the rest of the community's guides, the green name stands for itself.
However, when vet recs are put on a pedestal for everyone to see and vet guides are forbidden from being there, it can leave those guides out of being truly represented for being good IMO.
Click for one of my awesome builds!
Thanks to Mowen, WrATHofVuLK, and AlexanPT for the signatures! Check out Tristana: The Lane Game, Maokai: The Chu8 Way, and Twisted Fate: Card Games!
Dante Rebellion
<Member>
Dante Rebellion's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 1, 2011 3:52pm | Report
My main point is, the pros have a section called Pro Guides, and now I will say that there is OBVIOUS fan boy treatment from the vets and the community.

Let's look at hotshotGG's Nidalee guide. "By: HotshotGG on 2011-07-03 :: Viewed 322402 times, 91%
634 Votes, 4 Veteran recommendations"

Now let's look at Xaioli's Nidalee guide. "By: Xaioli on 2011-02-13 :: Viewed 1305329 times, 91%
683 Votes, and 3 Veteran recommendations"

Both are almost identical when you look at the builds, runes and skill order (masteries are pretty different though)

Also look at incredibly in-depth Xaioli's nidalee guide is, whilst hotshot's guide is more of a summary of the champion.

You can obviously see that Xaioli has put more time and effort into the guide, yet still has only 3 veteran recommendations whilst hotshot has 4, and xai's guide had been up MUCH longer!

Now to the issue of vets recommending each others guide, I believe.. that is fine. It's okay. But to be honest the vets get more attention and can end up taking the opportunity for other guides to prosper and get noticed! Let the vets have their own section: Vet guides. This is mobafire a place where the community helps each other and a place where builds and guides are welcomed, some people put a hell of alot of time into their guides and deserve more publicity. Cmon vets, get yo **** together!
Lugignaf
<Veteran>
Lugignaf's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep August 1, 2011 3:58pm | Report
Also, all the pro guides are automatically "recc'd" even if they aren't. They're on the list no matter what.
Sig courtesy of GrandmasterD. Go get your own sig from them. :D

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide