Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Collaborative Guides?

Creator: jhoijhoi June 19, 2011 2:09am
1 2
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 19, 2011 2:09am | Report
We've all dealt with votes on our guides that are less than tolerable/fair, and due to MobaFire's opinion that all votes are opinions, we have to deal with these votes and then just wait patiently for someone new to counter-balance that downvote (which is fine).

But if say, you happen to downvote someone's guide and then they revenge vote you down (hasn't ever happened to me) - I don't see how that is helpful to the scores of guides.

What if there was a way to make a collaborative guide for each champion that trusted people can edit filled with content from other guides?

For example, say the only good thing about my Ashe guide is my Targeting Champions section, and someone with 28% has a really really good description of their summoner spells ( Ghost and Flash), and someone else has the best section about situational items, and yet another person has the most fantastically written section about early gameplay - but these latter sections will never been seen due to other guides heading the top of the page (I don't claim to have a great guide, and at one point I went ahead and upvoted as many Ashe guides as I could who's content was really good in an effort for more people to look at those guides).

What if we could make this a forum task? Make it... a competition to gather the best parts of all guides and use them (with permission and links to the original content) to make the best champion guide possible?

This guide, made by the community and uploaded by a new user called MobaFire, could be stickied to the top of the list.

Is this a bad idea? :/ I can't make up my mind about whether this is a bad idea, or a good idea...
guide writing tips 'n tricksashes to ashesfancy a sig?

♡ sig by Jovy ♡
B-Wong
<Member>
B-Wong's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 19, 2011 2:15am | Report
Eh, it's very opinionated on what people think is good though. If there's a dispute between what people think is right on a guide for X champion we can't come to a conclusion that it would help the community. Even if everyone agrees on something there's no real fact saying that THIS IS BEST AND AWESOME. Also, if people still complain about the voting system, they're going to complain about these jointed guides.

AnIh
<Member>
AnIh's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 19, 2011 2:17am | Report
the voting system will never be perfect because voters are not perfect , they +1 ppl they like they -1 ppl they dont like , they -1 or +1 because they (dont) like one little thing in the guide , the revenge vote etc .
there is no need to complain it will always be the same because humans will always be the same .
Lugignaf
<Veteran>
Lugignaf's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 19, 2011 10:03am | Report
Colab guides would get more people looking at individual guides but it wouldn't remedy the random revenge voting. I think it would be a good idea but I'm not quite sure how to do it.
Sig courtesy of GrandmasterD. Go get your own sig from them. :D
beeread
<Member>
beeread's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 19, 2011 12:47pm | Report
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 19, 2011 6:46pm | Report
^ Yes. Like this: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=156448

What they've done is merged three different guides into the one topic.

I'd go one step further and suggest a more cohesive merge (as they've just tagged each guide to the end of the other).

But yeah, I can see the problems with this, unfortunately.
guide writing tips 'n tricksashes to ashesfancy a sig?

♡ sig by me ♡
Zeprido
<Ancient Member>
Zeprido's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 19, 2011 6:51pm | Report
I'd like to see the ability for multiple individuals to claim author status with one "head author" who approves changes.
Zeprido is currently:Online
If I've helped you at all in any way, or you really like my post click that +Rep button =)
You can always call me Zep for short =D
Feel free to private message me with questions/concerns or if you just want to chat =)
Jebus McAzn
<Retired Moderator>
Jebus McAzn's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 19, 2011 7:14pm | Report
What you're suggesting is more like a wiki system where trusted authors have the ability to edit other people's guides. I don't know how practical it would be to implement this, and I'd say that if you wanted to undertake a project like this, you'd have to collaborate with other authors through email or PM and submit a final compilation, maybe even through a new user, as I know people have done before (Chaotic Scrax, for example).
Zeprido
<Ancient Member>
Zeprido's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 19, 2011 7:33pm | Report
Thats why the system I suggested would work a lot better imo, attach a "PM" or mini thread (kind of like what we saw with the tournament discussion tab) only visible to authors. When viewing the guide, it displays all users who were included in the contribution.

Make a draft proposal system that all authors vote to approve, with all authors having the ability to "highlight" sections that they either agree or disagree with with green and red respectively.

A system like this would allow for people with good ideas but bad writing skills to work with those who have great writing skills (just about any combination here, this was just an example). It would eliminate the need to create an entirely new account just to collaborate.

I have more ideas for this, but I'd rather not load more stuff on to Matt and FlashJ, from what I hear the list of "todo" is huge =x

Also this probably belongs in the Support sub-forum, not to mention that something like this has been brought up before.
Zeprido is currently:Online
If I've helped you at all in any way, or you really like my post click that +Rep button =)
You can always call me Zep for short =D
Feel free to private message me with questions/concerns or if you just want to chat =)
Trojan995
<Veteran>
Trojan995's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 19, 2011 7:39pm | Report
I think that a system supporting multiple item paths would need to be implemented before we could get multiple writers involved.
Click for one of my awesome builds!
Thanks to Mowen, WrATHofVuLK, and AlexanPT for the signatures! Check out Tristana: The Lane Game, Maokai: The Chu8 Way, and Twisted Fate: Card Games!
1 2

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide