Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Guide Information Should Be Optimal!

Creator: GrandmasterD November 5, 2013 9:39pm
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
A guide should contain information that is optimal.
GrandmasterD
<Member>
GrandmasterD's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 6, 2013 9:16am | Report
Quoted:

Well, at least gleebglarbu has a good Sona guide (sadly just at 86%, though), to my knowledge there is not a single good Soraka guide on moba.

Soraka is just really hard to play.
sirell
<Member>
sirell's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 6, 2013 9:35am | Report
Mooninites wrote:

especially when the simple solution would be to downvote that guide.

You haven't been on MOBAFire very long, have you? If you did, then surely you would know that all the top guides CAN'T be downvoted out of the #1 spot.

Oh wait, you're a long-standing member? That's awkward.
GrandmasterD
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 6, 2013 9:40am | Report
sirell wrote:

lifebaka
<Member>
lifebaka's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 6, 2013 9:55am | Report
sirell wrote:

You haven't been on MOBAFire very long, have you? If you did, then surely you would know that all the top guides CAN'T be downvoted out of the #1 spot.

Way to be useful. Really. This is exactly what this sort of discussion needs.

You too, GMD.

Anyway, I generally think Moon is right that this is a solution in search of a problem. I'm not convinced that the current system is so broken that we really need a fix for it. Especially given that any problems with guides in the current system can mostly be resolved from within the current system; just point out the problems and we can go put some votes on them. If that doesn't work, we just need to develop a way to get more eyes on the problems, such as a group whose sole purpose is to point out such problems and bring more votes to them. And that kind of group is just a community organization thing, so MOBAFire doesn't actually have to do anything except let us do it.

Also, regarding the idea of creating a "suboptimal" guide category, I don't think that's a very good idea, for several reasons. First, I'm not convinced that it will change anything, because people who think their ideas are good will still put them into the "optimal" category. And since we don't really have any way to enforce rules about guide categories except through voting, this doesn't create a situation that's really any different from the current system. If anyone has some kind of enforcement ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Second, I don't think there's any real way to decide which guides go in which categories. Moon and Phey have already made this point, so I won't go into detail here.

Third, "suboptimal" is a really bad name. Using "optimal" and "suboptimal" as labels is basically the same as using "good" and "bad", respectively. No one will use the "suboptimal" (or "bad") guides, which leads to everyone putting their guides into the "optimal" (or "good") category. And, as I say above, there's nothing we can do about this except to downvote them, which is basically just the current system with some extra (and functionally useless) bells and whistles. "Unconventional" would be a better term, since it doesn't imply as much about the guide's value.
OTGBionicArm wrote: Armored wimminz = badass.

My posts may be long. If this bothers you, don't read them.
GrandmasterD
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 6, 2013 10:00am | Report
lifebaka wrote:

Way to be useful. Really. This is exactly what this sort of discussion needs.

You too, GMD.

Anyway, I generally think Moon is right that this is a solution in search of a problem. I'm not convinced that the current system is so broken that we really need a fix for it. Especially given that any problems with guides in the current system can mostly be resolved from within the current system; just point out the problems and we can go put some votes on them. If that doesn't work, we just need to develop a way to get more eyes on the problems, such as a group whose sole purpose is to point out such problems and bring more votes to them. And that kind of group is just a community organization thing, so MOBAFire doesn't actually have to do anything except let us do it.

Also, regarding the idea of creating a "suboptimal" guide category, I don't think that's a very good idea, for several reasons. First, I'm not convinced that it will change anything, because people who think their ideas are good will still put them into the "optimal" category. And since we don't really have any way to enforce rules about guide categories except through voting, this doesn't create a situation that's really any different from the current system. If anyone has some kind of enforcement ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Second, I don't think there's any real way to decide which guides go in which categories. Moon and Phey have already made this point, so I won't go into detail here.

Third, "suboptimal" is a really bad name. Using "optimal" and "suboptimal" as labels is basically the same as using "good" and "bad", respectively. No one will use the "suboptimal" (or "bad") guides, which leads to everyone putting their guides into the "optimal" (or "good") category. And, as I say above, there's nothing we can do about this except to downvote them, which is basically just the current system with some extra (and functionally useless) bells and whistles. "Unconventional" would be a better term, since it doesn't imply as much about the guide's value.

The voting system, imo, should be overhauled. Votes should decay and the freshness filter should be dynamic and based on the actual contents of the patches.
Wayne3100
<Retired Admin>
Wayne3100's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 6, 2013 10:11am | Report
lifebaka wrote:
I'm not convinced that the current system is so broken that we really need a fix for it.

Agreed.

Personally I think a reset of scores, implementation of vote decay (which iirc would not work the way we think it would if implemented now, but should be good to add if the scores are reset anyway) and a change of the freshness filter (mainly to adapt to the current rate of patches which is very unlike it used to be; the dynamic stuff would also be a nice bonus) would be cool.

Thanks to Hoppermh for the signature!
OTGBionicArm
<McFly>
OTGBionicArm's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 6, 2013 10:13am | Report
I'm pretty sure this idea's been floating around since I started at mobafire. Why hasn't it been implemented yet?
XeresAce
<Member>
XeresAce's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 6, 2013 10:14am | Report
Hers an idea, why not go go over the top guides and scout the ones you believe are simply the best guide for that champion even if they usually aren't something you would scout. This way, you give the good guides visibility and it doesn't really matter if a bad guide is ay 96% because most people would click on the scouted/featured guide first.(at least I would)
OTGBionicArm
<McFly>
OTGBionicArm's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 6, 2013 10:16am | Report
That's pretty much just a bandage fix.
XeresAce
<Member>
XeresAce's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 6, 2013 10:23am | Report
At least its something until the new voting system gets completely figured out and implemented
Thanks to GrandmasterD for the sig!
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide