Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Guide Information Should Be Optimal!

Creator: GrandmasterD November 5, 2013 9:39pm
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
A guide should contain information that is optimal.
GrandmasterD
<Member>
GrandmasterD's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 5, 2013 9:39pm | Report
Alright, a recent development in the Scout forums has lead to an interesting debate. I won't reveal any names as they have spoken within the safe zone of the Scout forums and who am I to violate that? Also, that information isn't actually relevant.

The question is simple: Is it worth to sacrifice optimal setups to remain original? There are complaints that guides end up being all the same if we'd all do what the meta states and what the pros do. Personally I think all guides should be optimal, if you want a personal diary then call it that but don't call it a guide. I think a guide, since it's supposed to teach others, should contain fully optimal information. Hence one could ask the question about what is optimal and sure there are a ton of grey areas. Like is running 9/21/0 masteries worth running on Diana? Some people would say that it isn't and others will say that it is. However, most people will agree that Clarity is never worth using.

So yeah, post your thoughts. Should a guide contain optimal information only or not? Keep in mind that I do not discourage unorthodox builds or guides. There's a lot of unorthodox stuff out there that probably works really well. Those are the grey areas and as a result I would expect them to explained in full detail.

From The Scout Forum
-NA- Veng Lmfao
<Altruistic Artist>
-NA- Veng Lmfao's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 5, 2013 9:42pm | Report
There's a massive difference between switching in a few runes, adjusting mastery pages or running different game strategies (Teamfighting vs splitpushing) etc than troll builds.
I'm more than happy to see a guide which critises the meta and makes an attempt to VIABLY try something new.
Sick and tired of seeing the same old ****, and as soon as a guy tries 3 mana regen glyphs, you get potatoes like Lagger "Wrong runes -1"

The voting sort of confuses me. First option agrees with my opinion, but aren't I supposed to be selecting the second one?
I'll vote after I work it out *tired and I've always been slow on things*
GrandmasterD
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 5, 2013 9:44pm | Report

There's a massive difference between switching in a few runes, adjusting mastery pages or running different game strategies (Teamfighting vs splitpushing) etc than troll builds.

I'm more than happy to see a guide which critises the meta and makes an attempt to VIABLY try something new.

Sick and tired of seeing the same old ****, and as soon as a guy tries 3 mana regen glyphs, you get potatoes like Lagger "Wrong runes -1"

Obviously but that's not what I'm speaking of. I'm talking about stuff like 9/0/21 Nasus with Exhaust or 18/1/11 Warwick with Spirit of the Spectral Wraith.
-NA- Veng Lmfao
<Altruistic Artist>
-NA- Veng Lmfao's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 5, 2013 9:46pm | Report
Okay, I'll use your option.
There's a difference between 9/0/21 nasus with exhaust (that has potential to work, and can be agreed that it does have potential) and a 0/0/30 nasus with clairvoyance.

Does this make more sense or am I still not getting it?

EDIT:
You literally responded within 3 seconds of me posting... wow!
Ninja Trigger
<Editor>
Ninja Trigger's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 5, 2013 9:49pm | Report
Sometimes the build in a guide can be complete and utter trash! However other parts of the guide can contain game changing information and still be super useful.

Asides from having bad masteries or runes, I will sometimes find something in a guides match up section that is really helpful even though the build is garbage. Also the meta is always changing so I don't hate on a guide for having 20/4/6 masteries although I am much more likely to down vote it.
GrandmasterD
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 5, 2013 9:50pm | Report

Okay, I'll use your option.
There's a difference between 9/0/21 nasus with exhaust and a 0/0/30 nasus with clairvoyance.

Does this make more sense or am I still not getting it?

There's a difference as the latter is just plain troll and the former is an attempt but both will be called not viable and far from optimal. (I'm calling top lane)

There's also a huge difference between 9/21/0 Nasus top with Teleport and 9/0/21 Nasus top with Exhaust.

You literally responded within 3 seconds of me posting... wow!

It's a debate I think is important.
tehAsian
<Veteran>
tehAsian's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 5, 2013 9:52pm | Report
It depends on the guide author's aim.

Some want to write a guide that shows the most optimal way to play a champion.

Others write unorthodox ways of playing a champion *cough OTG cough*. This is fine too.

But if someone writes down ******** and says it's the most optimal way to play a champion, that is not fine.
LaCorpse's Signature Cafe

Thanks to Keondre, JhoiJhoi, Xiron, and Arcana3 for the Sigs~!
GrandmasterD
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 5, 2013 9:54pm | Report
tehAsian wrote:

Some want to write a guide that shows the most optimal way to play a champion.

Others write unorthodox ways of playing a champion *cough OTG cough*. This is fine too.

But if someone writes down ******** and says it's the most optimal way to play a champion, that is not fine.

OTG's guide can be judged on if it is the most optimal way to play AP Varus.
OTGBionicArm
<McFly>
OTGBionicArm's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 5, 2013 9:57pm | Report
When it comes to stop that isn't pro or high elo recommended, a lot of builds people make... they just don't seem to put the effort into testing it.

I've seen SO MANY guides where the build sucks the D and the author will respond with something along the lines of "This has worked for me many times." But do they really stop and think about why it works? Maybe they are bronze. Maybe the enemy team collectively suffered bowel issues at once and afk'd. Who knows? My point being is that "it works" isn't a good argument.

I realize my guide isn't optimal, or competitively viable, however I have gone to great lengths to test the build against as many mid laners as I could to find out what works and doesn't work, as well as when it's just a plain ****ty time to use it.

Edit: This means that optimal has nothing to do with meta or not. Optimal is simply being the best at the intended role. My guide is intended to be played as a Mage, rather than an ADC.

EDIT 2: I specifically state the guide isn't for ranked and have only tested it in normals. Another thing that irks me is when people just kind of leave information like that out of their guide or lie about it.
GrandmasterD
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 5, 2013 9:59pm | Report
tehAsian wrote:

My problem is that authors rarely state those so a reader will assume it's the most optimal way. If I'd be a noob and see a Nasus guide that has over 85% rating, I will assume it's an optimal one.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide