Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Guide Information Should Be Optimal!

Creator: GrandmasterD November 5, 2013 9:39pm
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
A guide should contain information that is optimal.
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 5, 2013 10:34pm | Report
Astrolia's tagging system would work nicely. Just tag "optimal" to a guide.

Edit: I buy Spectral Wraith on Warwick because I enjoy the extra sustain. It's a fun build, though it is expensive. A game I was pretty much playing as Nick was compiling this thread (Sona is so behind in levels because his mouse broke, making it a 4v5 for more than half the game):
Spoiler: Click to view
guide writing tips 'n tricksashes to ashesfancy a sig?

♡ sig by Jovy ♡
GrandmasterD
<Member>
GrandmasterD's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 5, 2013 10:39pm | Report
jhoijhoi wrote:

No need to keep it "anonymous". Those are my quotes and I stand by them. I also stand by my guides because that's the way I like to play my favourite champions. I'm not dictating the "official" way/mechanics of a swimming style, like the butterfly. I'm not writing a procedure for how to make meth, where an error could kill. I'm simply sharing my own version of how I play x champion.

Not everyone feels that way and you haven't done so in the past so I excluded your name; felt mature enough. Also, can I get that procedure?

jhoijhoi wrote:
Why do I run Exhaust on Nasus? Because I have had success with it. Why do I run Spectral Wraith on Warwick? Because I have had success with it. They are my ideas (not saying I created these playstyles, someone else very may have run Exhaust Nasus before me etc) and I enjoy sharing them with people.

Yes but that's not an argument. Being able to explain why to get it, what's good about it and why it beats the alternatives is what makes a good player. That's why I also would never encourage people to just copy pro builds; as being able to know why you make certain choices is a vital aspect of this game.

jhoijhoi wrote:
This isn't about trying to fool readers into believing that xx is the best way to play xx champion. It has always been, "This is how I play xx champion, come along for the ride if you like".

It depends on what you're trying to achieve. An optimal set up on Ahri would be AP. But AD Ahri is frikken fun. Writing an AD Ahri guide would not be about "being original", it'd be about sharing how you enjoy playing Ahri.

As said, then I'd like to hear an explanation why it is worth playing and see mastery and rune setups that make sense regarding AD Ahri. Also, don't pretend it trumps AP Ahri in viability. I remember a diamond player in S2 who believed AD Orianna was really strong because he won like 8 games in a row with it (ranked). Eventually he abandoned it because it of various issues like low base AD.

jhoijhoi wrote:
I'm talking in circles here, but to end: that's why the scout system exists. To promote "optimal" guides. That's why featured guides appear above/before unfeatured guides.

I don't think the scouting system should exist to filter out the good guides, that's what the voting system is for. The scouting system should assume guides are of proper quality and then judges them based on how they are written. Like "There are 5 really good Ahri guides however this one stands out because the author really explains all of their choices and compares them with other options.".
OTGBionicArm
<McFly>
OTGBionicArm's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 5, 2013 10:40pm | Report
I'm gonna have to be that guy and ask "What's the point?" @Wraith on Warwick.

Warwick has some of the highest health sustain in the game, competing with Nasus and Aatrox. Your builds for Warwick and Nasus go out of the way to get more healing or spell vamp, or life steal on top of their already amazing health sustenance systems. Also disregarding the defense tree in the sake of more healing.

Don't you find that at all, a tad redundant?
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 5, 2013 10:42pm | Report
I enjoy healing big amounts on my Qs :P

♡ sig by me ♡
Ninja Trigger
<Editor>
Ninja Trigger's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 5, 2013 10:43pm | Report
Khazem wrote:

I think the problem is that there is no clear indication in said guides that it's probably not the most optimal way to play those champions. New members will come looking for guides, see those high rated guides, look at the cheat sheet and assume it's the best way to play those champions.

There's nothing wrong with making a guide displaying your own unique way of playing a champion. There should just be a clear distinction between those guides and guides that try to be 'optimal', wether it's mentioned somewhere in the title or perhaps even a seperate category.

Right we have a humor section for guides but I don't think that a well written ADC Ahri guide merits being listed under humor necessarily. So we may need an sub optimal guide section stuff like

Shaco Mid/Top/Support
Ahri Support/ADC
Amumu Support/Mid I use to rock Amumu mid back in season 1
Poppy Support, used it once it worked really well

Because who would work hard on a unconventional guide on how they play their favorite champion only to have it listed under humor. While if it's listed with all the others it will get down voted for breaking the meta.
Sig by IPodPulse
OTGBionicArm
<McFly>
OTGBionicArm's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 5, 2013 10:44pm | Report
It already heals for big amounts by default. I don't know about you, but I'd rather heal for a modest sum and not take a lot of damage, than take **** tons of damage and heal for more.
astrolia
<Fabulous>
astrolia's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 5, 2013 10:44pm | Report
jhoijhoi wrote:
Astrolia's tagging system would work nicely. Just tag "optimal" to a guide.

♪ I dreamed a dream that tagging came
♪ When elo was high
♪ And guides worth scouting

♪ But the BRs come at night
♪ With their HUEs soft as thunder
♪ As they tear your promo series apart
♪ As they turn your dreams to shame

♪ I had a dream scouting would be
♪ So different from this thing I'm ignoring
♪ So different now, from what it seemed
♪ Now Mobafire has killed the dream I dreamed
hi embracing. yes i play ff14 now.
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
The_Nameless_Bard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 5, 2013 10:45pm | Report

It already heals for big amounts by default. I don't know about you, but I'd rather heal for a modest sum and not take a lot of damage, than take **** tons of damage and heal for more.

^this

...lmao Astrolia
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 5, 2013 10:48pm | Report
Because who would work hard on a unconventional guide on how they play their favorite champion only to have it listed under humor. While if it's listed with all the others it will get down voted for breaking the meta.

I would love a section for "competitive guides"; half my guides aren't competitive, and I'm happy to be in a "unconventional guides" section!

This thread isn't about my Warwick/Nasus guides, but I'd love to discuss it more with you via PM or in-game (though I am on OCE now :/).

♡ sig by Tauricus2017 ♡
GrandmasterD
<Member>
GrandmasterD's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep November 5, 2013 10:52pm | Report
jhoijhoi wrote:

I would love a section for "competitive guides"; half my guides aren't competitive, and I'm happy to be in a "unconventional guides" section!

I'd support that.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide