Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

I Really Think ELO Hell Exists

Creator: EVILISLEMONS March 13, 2012 8:12am
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Temzilla
<Member>
Temzilla's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 13, 2012 12:33pm | Report
The difference between 1000 elo and 2300 elo is understanding of the game, and decision making that comes with it.

There are players with excellent mechanics and terrible decision making at 1000 elo.

They are NOT skillful.

Remember "League of Legends is a game you win with your brain, not your fingers!"
Tri lane for life.
Luther3000
<Sharpshooter>
Luther3000's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 13, 2012 12:35pm | Report
It's both.
Crows foot
<Member>
Crows foot's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 13, 2012 1:32pm | Report
The only times I haven't bought wards as mid or top are when I have a ward-happy jungler so their wards are ever present. Not often, but it does happen!

I feel that mostly junglers are the best warders. They have map-presence everywhere.
If you for some reason want to follow my ranked journey to gold, you can do it Here.

I am against asking for rep, only rep me if you think I contributed well or said something wise.
DuffTime
<Member>
DuffTime's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 13, 2012 3:43pm | Report
Win with your brain and your fingers.. :p
Pølsemanden
<Member>
Pølsemanden's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 13, 2012 4:30pm | Report

Being a ~1000 ELO player for the last month or two, I feel that ELO Hell truly exists. It's so damn hard to get out of no matter how hard you try. I hate it when people underestimate the skill-level of players in this ELO because I've seen incredibly good players here. Of course, there are more bad players than good, but I have to reinforce the fact that there are good players.

I'm not trying to brag but I went on my friend's account the other day who is a 1400 ELO player. I played about 5 ranked games back to back and WON every single one of them with a good score. I played as a jungler, an AD carry, and an AP carry. How is it possible that I can WIN constantly at a 1400 ELO level, but win only about 50% of the time - sometimes even less - when playing against those who are around 1000 ELO? Frankly, I feel 1400 was way more easy than 1000 ELO. I'll admit, people in 1400 are more coordinated and actually do their jobs in teamfights...but skill-wise, I feel there are an equal amount of good players in 1000 ELO and 1400 ELO. I'm guessing they were a bunch of trolls like me just banning random champions like supports, and talking constant trash to both sides.

But I'm not talking about those times. I'm talking about the times when a 1000 ELO player wants to actually move up and get out of ELO. Why is it so damn hard? There's some sort of phenomenon and fallacy here with the ELO rating system. At least that's my opinion.

Picture this, a GOOD player but in ELO Hell decides to try for once instead of trolling. Let's say his whole team is like that. Then let's say the enemy team is just as good. Now let's assume they are playing at a skill-level comparable to a 1400+ ELO match. This should theoretically be a close match. But who cares who wins. Why would you? Because no matter what, you will only get a few ELO "points" or whatever it's called despite such incredible play from both sides. What I'm trying to say is, there can be matches that are practically no different in skill-level than those at a higher ELO. Yet, they're in ELO hell. People sometimes say that if you have 50% wins and losses, you are in the right ELO. However, going by the example I gave earlier, that would typically be a 50-50 game!

I want to ramble about this more, but since I am sitting at a lecture I'll end it here. If there are any others who can expand on what I have to say, please go ahead.

1100-1400 is pretty much the same skill-level by my experience(won't know about 1000 because i've never been under 1100) but after 1400 the teamplay and skill-difference rappidly increases. There is though a difference in understanding of gameplay for the two.

The reason for this is, that the early placement of people is made from a 50% perspective, every new player is considered in the middle of the scale(think this is around 1200) so you start at 1200 without this system knowing anything about your skill-level, this makes for a huuuge opportunity of skill-difference since half the ppl at 1200 elo are gonna be first-time ranked'ers which might be a lot worse and a lot better than this particular skill-level(yes this is purely luck wether or not you get the better team, which makes the initial system broken)
How can you semi-fix the initial flaw in this system? Make a second compartment of people in the early rankeds. Maybe the first 30(?) ranked games would be against people in this pot as well, then after theese games you would be assigned a elo.
Pros of idea; No "i just got lvl 30 let's have a ranked against ppl with 300 ranked games" "less skill-difference on 1200 elo"
Cons of idea; Very long quee time for first couple of rankeds. Wouldn't completely fix the problem.

A reason for why you might have been able to win on your friends account is that you have no particular understanding of the gameplay of league. At 1400 a lot of calls are made by the team, thus making you able to be a complete sheep and just follow orders focusing on what you can actually do; win lane, teamfights etc. On 1100 no one knows jack squat about anything, so they're just gonna be Hurrrrr Duurrrrr what now? What is this free baron chance you speak off? LoL why take dragon when i can haz farm bot? Tops job is ALWAYS to afk-farm top for the whole duration of the game.
Ty MM and Blood for the sigs :3 | Rammus is comming back - heard it here first!

"Carrying"-guide | My reviewservice
Vavena
<Member>
Vavena's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 13, 2012 5:19pm | Report
No such thing as elo hell~
Elo heaven? yup

RCIX
<Member>
RCIX's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 13, 2012 5:35pm | Report
Xaioli wrote:

If you're below 1200 and you honestly think you're deserving of higher, just win your lane and assist your teammates. People below 1200 overextend or are so passive. If you are truly a good player, just take their mistakes and make them pay for it. Your team mates can't feed if you're ganking for them a lot and forcing them to snowball correct? If you feel like you don't deserve to be there, win your lane fast and snowball teammates for a guaranteed win.

Um, yeah, not necessarily. I was Fiora vs morde top; pulled off 4 kills on him(!), the rest of my team did fairly decent in the lane phase. I started roaming, but every time I did, the morde just afk farmed his way to the tower and before you know it, he had one then both top towers down. OK yeah, i did make a few mistakes, but when we did get a good initiation on them we won a teamfight. Problem is, our alistar threw a fit about a few mistakes, causing him and our voli to get in an argument that imploded our team (and believe me, I did try and keep them together).

I'm keeping a log of my ranked escapades too, just so people can see how bad it gets.
Nasus says hi
Babit
<Member>
Babit's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 13, 2012 8:57pm | Report

I'm guessing they were a bunch of trolls like me just banning random champions like supports, and talking constant trash to both sides.

There is your problem.

No trollin bro.

Xaioli
<Veteran>
Xaioli's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 13, 2012 11:10pm | Report
RCIX wrote:

Um, yeah, not necessarily. I was Fiora vs morde top; pulled off 4 kills on him(!), the rest of my team did fairly decent in the lane phase. I started roaming, but every time I did, the morde just afk farmed his way to the tower and before you know it, he had one then both top towers down. OK yeah, i did make a few mistakes, but when we did get a good initiation on them we won a teamfight. Problem is, our alistar threw a fit about a few mistakes, causing him and our voli to get in an argument that imploded our team (and believe me, I did try and keep them together).

I'm keeping a log of my ranked escapades too, just so people can see how bad it gets.

Unfortunately, those one and two mistakes you made snowball and eventually can cause a loss. It happens in any form of elo. Whoever makes the most mistakes loses. If you really did beat Morde top, you'd be able to deny him CS and zone him, not him being to AFK farm! That's one mistake people have in all elos. They -think- they've won the lane but allow the enemy laner to catch back up in CS and etc while you're messing around. To truly win your lane, you need to be zone the person into submission and make them scared to even attempt to take a CS and punish them hard when they do. I'm sure you're not bad but you really showed Morde mercy if he was able to "AFK push" thus, you didn't completely "win" your lane and that resulted in them winning if you somehow lost. Also, Fiora is a extremely snowball champ and if you really got kills/cs, it's a little inexcusable for you to lose :P

RCIX
<Member>
RCIX's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep March 14, 2012 1:04am | Report
Xaioli wrote:

Unfortunately, those one and two mistakes you made snowball and eventually can cause a loss. It happens in any form of elo. Whoever makes the most mistakes loses. If you really did beat Morde top, you'd be able to deny him CS and zone him, not him being to AFK farm! That's one mistake people have in all elos. They -think- they've won the lane but allow the enemy laner to catch back up in CS and etc while you're messing around. To truly win your lane, you need to be zone the person into submission and make them scared to even attempt to take a CS and punish them hard when they do. I'm sure you're not bad but you really showed Morde mercy if he was able to "AFK push" thus, you didn't completely "win" your lane and that resulted in them winning if you somehow lost. Also, Fiora is a extremely snowball champ and if you really got kills/cs, it's a little inexcusable for you to lose :P

I can't do anything though when they're rolling in a tight ball and I'm the only one really wanting to engage; it's half of what really sucks about LoL (deathball > virtually everything else).

He only afk farmed when I had to help my other lanes though (I stand corrected BTW; they weren't doing quite as well as I remembered). In any case, none of that was why we lost...
Nasus says hi
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide