Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

LoL vs Dota2 vs HOTS [LOOKING TO SWITCH MOBAS]

Creator: Griffin December 8, 2015 7:47pm
1 2 3
Griffin
<Member>
Griffin's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 8, 2015 7:47pm | Report
I am currently a top 200 player in HOTS, which was my first moba. It is a fun game when 5v5ing against competent teams but the MM system is horrid and is no fun to solo. I was wondering hope without any bias which MOBA if any I should switch too.

Are the meta's in LoL and Dota2 vast? Are the champs still really umbalanced some being very powerful and some being completely unplayable, I've always heard the meta is very narrow. That is one thing I liked about heroe's is the balance allows for every character comp to work.

I have yet to play any LoL or Dota2. Which of these games has a better community, higher skill-cap, are either dieing or growing or is it stagnant?
Embracing
<Crowd Favorite>
Embracing's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 8, 2015 9:32pm | Report
Both LoL and Dota 2 have a developed scene, and are still constantly growing.

LoL has simpler basic mechanics but a lot of strategic depth with map objectives and rotations.

Dota 2 has a lot more complicated basic mechanics, but I can't say for the strategic aspect of the game.

It's easier to solo carry a lot easier in dota 2.

Since you come from HotS I'd recommend League over Dota 2 since Hots has really simple basic mechanics. Dota 2 has a really huge barrier to entry for beginners.
PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 8, 2015 10:50pm | Report
Embracing wrote:
Since you come from HotS I'd recommend League over Dota 2 since Hots has really simple basic mechanics. Dota 2 has a really huge barrier to entry for beginners.

I'd say the same. HotS, LoL and DotA are basically on a spectrum from simple to complicated. If you like HotS, you'd probably like LoL more than DotA.

It's pretty easy to give both a try though, and in DotA you can try out any hero right off the bat, so you can always experiment a bit yourself.
Thanks to Janitsu for the sig!
Devampi
<Member>
Devampi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 11, 2015 2:33pm | Report
I would also recommend giving them both a try.

on meta's:
LoL has a less flexible one if you are looking at roles. This is mostly because Dota teams and meta are determined by certain characteristics and Dota's meta can switch from deathballing through mid to a split pushing one etc in a small patch.

oh and like embracing mentioned in dota snowballing can be really bad depending on the meta (normally a difference of 10 kills isn't much however with the patch the international was played in it was enough to declare a win for one of the teams)
Just some random guy from smitefire that visits sometimes.
Simsons2
<Member>
Simsons2's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 12, 2015 2:26pm | Report
Imo hots is pretty terrible if you'll like dota you'll probably like lol as well. Hots is completely different spectrum
Toshabi
<Veteran>
Toshabi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 14, 2015 10:57am | Report
Go for DoTA. LoL gets ****tier with every season whereas DoTA has a consistently decent balancing team.
Thalia Kael
<Inhouse Addict>
Thalia Kael's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 14, 2015 11:08am | Report
I actually hate the constant updates because I'm getting tired of having to adapt every 2 seconds... it seems like every time I get a good set of champs and playstyles going Riot just goes "haha nope relearn the game"
Thanks to FatelBlade, JEFFY40HANDS, Nyoike, TheNamelessBard, GrandmasterD, aviseras and koksei for the awesome signatures
GrandmasterD
<Member>
GrandmasterD's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 14, 2015 1:03pm | Report
I actually hate the constant updates because I'm getting tired of having to adapt every 2 seconds... it seems like every time I get a good set of champs and playstyles going Riot just goes "haha nope relearn the game"

Eh, I don't think that's entirely fair. Riot does actually make changes which help the overall game, think of the removal of dodge, or the change to Phage, etcetera. However, I do agree that Riot really tends to go to far and make changes which are completely unnecessary. Also, the constant stream of new champions needs to stop. Not just because tooltips are starting to turn into Yu-Gi-Oh! cards – without consistency in phrasing –, but also because Riot keeps experimenting and shoving new **** into the game just because they finally figured out how to put that into their engine; it comes off as childish, amateurish, and pretentious.

Toshabi wrote:
Go for DoTA. LoL gets ****tier with every season whereas DoTA has a consistently decent balancing team.

Probably depends on what you really like; I will still say that DotA is poorly designed and too archaic for its own good.
Thalia Kael
<Inhouse Addict>
Thalia Kael's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 14, 2015 1:07pm | Report
I'm not bashing Riot for it I'm just getting tired of getting used to a playstyle/champ and then having to redefine myself next time something moderately important gets changed

Also I realllllllllllllllly want warding to return to how it was in season 3 except with oracles elixir reworked in some way, I think trinkets are horrible for the game.
Thanks to FatelBlade, JEFFY40HANDS, Nyoike, TheNamelessBard, GrandmasterD, aviseras and koksei for the awesome signatures
GrandmasterD
<Member>
GrandmasterD's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep December 14, 2015 1:09pm | Report
Also I realllllllllllllllly want warding to return to how it was in season 3 except with oracles elixir reworked in some way, I think trinkets are horrible for the game.

Same. I especially hate it how support essentially stopped existing and got morphed into “secondary tank/secondary (ap) carry”.

The trinket system isn't awful, or well, its concept isn't, but the execution is horrible. I'm glad they are trying to deviate from DotA's design though; MOBA is a genre and does not equal one game; it's just that Riot is clearly not experienced enough to actually execute their ideas well.
1 2 3

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide