Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

MOBAFire Raffle Feedback Thread

Creator: PsiGuard June 15, 2017 11:19pm
Jovy
<Admin>
Jovy's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 17, 2017 8:09am | Report
I don't really understand what you mean. What did you expect to receive for visually updating your guide? I've changed my Leona, Braum, Janna and MF guides entirely a couple times before just because I wanted them to look different/nicer, before the raffle. Mowen wrote in the anouncement post to just keep going about our business, and I haven't been really putting much more effort into MOBAFire than pre-raffle, because I think there's a slim chance to win anyway and my motivation for keeping my guides up to date isn't getting a .5% higher chance to win.

What I think is the problem is that it's a raffle. It's pretty much pure luck; sure, it can be incentive to do some more work around the website, but you're only improving your chances lil bit. Obvious example here would be Vapora who has had idk probably like short of 1000 pts over the past few months, but hasn't won yet.

So this isn't really set up to reward high contributors the way I see it. It is either here to:

1) Reward top contributors, which would turn this into a nasty race when it's not supposed to be.

2) Reward contributors, in which case 10 winners is far too little with pages and pages of contributors according to the leaderboards.

3) Be a raffle, wherein having larger pts tips your scales a bit but doesn't guarantee a reward.

Pick one

thank you jhoijhoi for the signature <3
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
The_Nameless_Bard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 17, 2017 1:40pm | Report
I didn't honestly expect to get anything out of that, so it was a bad example, but I did do it because of hype.

What I did expect, however, was that maybe this thing would include something to get people to actually vote on all these new guides they're encouraging people to write, since that's been the problem here for quite a while.
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 17, 2017 6:15pm | Report
What I did expect, however, was that maybe this thing would include something to get people to actually vote on all these new guides they're encouraging people to write, since that's been the problem here for quite a while.

Daily quests where you are tasked with doing something would be super fun.
guide writing tips 'n tricksashes to ashesfancy a sig?

♡ sig by me ♡
PsiGuard
<Retired Admin>
PsiGuard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 18, 2017 3:49pm | Report
Hey guys, just wanted to touch on a few things really quick. Rest assured we're reading and will be discussing everything you share here, so if I don't touch on something you've said, it doesn't mean it's ignored!

jhoijhoi wrote:
> Writing blogs, commenting in the forums and editing the database/wiki should gain points
Flooding the site with subpar builds and rushed guides is not a winning solution. Sure, it may seem like things have increased, but not with quality content
Great Scores. It's nice to recognise these scores, but you're putting emphasis on only being the best. And there's no way for many guide authors to get there.
There's nothing stopping people from farming points on multiple random guides by just clicking republish. Make it harder for people to game the system.

@ jhoijhoi As you said, this was/is primarily a program to reward authors and reviewers in order to get more good guides on the site and get people more active in discussing them. We've since expanded the criteria a bit (to include Rep and such) but that's still the core idea. We can discuss generalizing the raffle more though.

I feel like your issue with subpar guides/builds would extend to blogs and forum posts as well (db updates are probably fine as long as people aren't intentionally making useless changes). There's going to be weaknesses in the ticket system since it's automated and it can't check for quality. We can manually audit users to ensure they aren't cheating, but we can't really say "this guide/blog is not good enough for a ticket" since it's such a grey area.

As for your comment about good/great scores, isn't that what you implied you wanted rather than simply rewarding people for publishing guides? You're rewarded for a high guide score based on votes, not for being the #1 guide for that champion for anything. I don't see a good way of improving this beyond using guide scores as a metric.

The guide update rewards are supposed to be for keeping your guide updated, not for making sweeping changes to your guide. Not sure why several of you guys have talked about guide updates like they have to be extensive to count. It's basically just an easy way to earn points if you keep coming back to the site and regularly update your guides. Obviously there's a possibility of cheating (updating while leaving in lots of obsolete content), but that's something we can catch with an audit.

Your challenge/quest idea is interesting. Don't think we've ever talked about that.

@ Meiyjhe I like most of your reward ideas, though I doubt we'll end up with RP as a point-sink. If we did, 500 RP for more than the cost of a month of prime seems a bit low anyhow.

I'm also a little confused about your gamescon comment. I've never been there and most of the MF staff lives in different locations so I doubt any sort of meetup would happen. Maybe you just meant Matt and FlashJ?

Also (this is to everyone but I'll ping @ The_Nameless_Bard ), do you guys have any suggestions to improve voting activity (whether or not it's tied to the raffle). I know so far you guys have mentioned making C2V opt-out.
Thanks to The_Nameless_Bard for the sig!
Meiyjhe
<Member>
Meiyjhe's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 18, 2017 5:54pm | Report
PsiGuard wrote:
I like most of your reward ideas, though I doubt we'll end up with RP as a point-sink. If we did, 500 RP for more than the cost of a month of prime seems a bit low anyhow.

I'm also a little confused about your gamescon comment. I've never been there and most of the MF staff lives in different locations so I doubt any sort of meetup would happen. Maybe you just meant Matt and FlashJ?
Not including RP as a reward seems to me like a missed opportunity because it functions as the 'reliable' award that anyone playing League can appreciate. I understand that you guys are not looking forward to spending RP on contributors on such a regular level, which is why I think it is also fair to overprice it. Maybe not as a way to convince people to join, but perhaps for rearding participants that have invested a lot of time into the website but simply aren't interested in most rewards.

Oh and the meetup was mostly meant in the sense of 'meet the creators at a cool place' kind of thing (Matt/Mowen/FlashJ + one other admin would already be awesome). It was a wild suggestion, I personally think it would be a cool prize, but I am also sure most people are not looking forward to it. What I am sure of though is that having a big prize can be motivating for people to participate.
Change is gooooood
Picture by: Hogopogo

Want to advertise your guide, but don't know where? Click here for an opportunity of a lifetime!
Janitsu
<Moderator>
Janitsu's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 19, 2017 1:54am | Report
I also question the raffle system as is. It's usually unnecessary to reward someone multiple times in a year, it's better to reward evenly across the contributors. But your system does not reflect that. (IIRC some people already won twice, that's a serious issue)

not cool my homie :^(
Mowen
<Retired Admin>
Mowen's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 19, 2017 8:50am | Report
Just wanted to pop in to let you guys know that I've been reading your feedback and discussing it with the team . there are a lot of technical issues that go into making such a large scale rewards system that make some things unfeasible, but it is clear that we could do things better and we will try our best to balance rewarding longtime participators and encouraging new members to try out our site.

As for the voting issue, we didn't add voting to the point system because we were afraid of that having a negative impact on voting if people are just Mass voting up voting or down voting guides without reading them . however, we have been looking into ways to encourage voting across the site for a while and will continue to do so . one of those ways was social login , and that has been successful in increasing the vote counts though not by an enormous margin . so, we are still working on other ways to get more votes across-the-board .

Sorry for the strange typing, I am using a speech-to-text program because I've been having really bad pain this past week, which is also why I haven't stopped in yet but I wanted to make sure you guys knew I was listening !
Thanks to GrandMasterD for my sig!
The_Nameless_Bard
<Ancient Member>
The_Nameless_Bard's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 19, 2017 9:19pm | Report
jhoijhoi wrote:
Daily quests where you are tasked with doing something would be super fun.
Yea, could work
Vapora Dark
<Perfectionist>
Vapora Dark's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 20, 2017 6:00am | Report
I don't see how that's applicable to a forum though. I can see people doing these quests for rewards, but I don't see how "+Rep 5 different people" or "Make 10 comments within the next 48 hours" is "fun".
Latest Legend
<Member>
Latest Legend's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep June 20, 2017 7:38am | Report
That sounds awful Mowen. Get well soon!
********'s a pretty good fertilizer

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide