Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

MOBAFire Tournaments

Creator: Mowen May 2, 2013 6:58pm
How do you feel about dividing tournaments based on tier?
IceCreamy
<Veteran>
IceCreamy's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 3, 2013 3:25pm | Report
Ice, they don't run this website out of the goodness of their heart. This is a business, and mobafire is a product. They are PAID for all of this hard work. They are not saints, they are businessmen, and they suck *** at problem solving. You don't fix a problem by polling the masses. You fix it through logic, experimentation, feedback, and critical thinking.

Pointing out mistakes is fine, I was merely commenting on your rather rude way of doing so.

Maybe you just take it when you encounter a faulty product, but I speak up. When they overcook my steak, I send it back. When I get something from a vending machine and it is damaged or stale, I call them and get a voucher for product.

I also want to note that there is no problem here, it was a suggestion coming from the tournament organizers, whose goals are to gain as much people as possible, and give all participants a great experience (so people will keep coming to MOBAFire). How else can they do it by polling the participants?

If 70 % of all participants think it's a good idea, then I think despite our beliefs that it's a bad idea we'll just have to fare along. Remember when you were a kid and your parents took you somewhere you didn't really want to go, but in the end it turned out to be fun anyways? This is sort of the same, only now you're an adult and you can just stay at home if you're absolutely sure you'll have a bad time.

Your examples have nothing to do with this issue. F.e. if you think your steak is overcooked, but 70 % thinks their exact same steak is fine, you can still send it back while the rest can enjoy it. There's no dependancy between your steaks and theirs, while in case of a tournament you're dependant of others.

DuffTime wrote:
ok ok plz carry me omg
i was only waiting for you to ask

Temzilla wrote:
Too hot to be icecream.

Luther3000 wrote:
He looks like a hair gel advert on legs

Toshabi wrote:
Icecreamy, with hair as slick and smooth as the ocean waves of Cocobana
C4 Lasty
<Member>
C4 Lasty's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 3, 2013 3:37pm | Report
If you polled America and asked if the rich should give half their money to be distributed amongst the 99% it would have similar approval numbers. It doesn't make it a good idea.

A lot of people don't know **** from shinola when it comes to competitive scene or tournament play. You don't get anywhere with a poll, throatslasher is right. You can't split the tournament because the kids who are voting for a split are still going to get rolled by an all gold or plat team while you'll just end up PISSING OFF the high skill level kids.

Post count done by team and banning Challengers is the only sane way to do this.
IceCreamy
<Veteran>
IceCreamy's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 3, 2013 4:02pm | Report
Hadn't quite thought about it that way, good point.

The worst part is I totally agree with you guys, then try to make up arguments to prove myself wrong which get erased by the people on my side which demotivates people not on my side...

Too confusing :D

DuffTime wrote:
ok ok plz carry me omg
i was only waiting for you to ask

Temzilla wrote:
Too hot to be icecream.

Luther3000 wrote:
He looks like a hair gel advert on legs

Toshabi wrote:
Icecreamy, with hair as slick and smooth as the ocean waves of Cocobana
throatslasher
<Member>
throatslasher's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 3, 2013 4:09pm | Report
It's all conversation. Nobody is attacking anybody, we're just having a healthy chat.

lasty said my sentiments exactly. 70% want X, well, 70% are wrong. An idea isn't made right by how many people agree with it. An argument or idea stands or falls on its own merits!
BOW DOWNBOW DOWN
sirell
<Member>
sirell's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 3, 2013 4:12pm | Report
Yeah, even though I would initially have liked a divided tournament, as long as it's actually a community-based tournament where members of the community are the ones participating, I have no real objections.
C4 Lasty
<Member>
C4 Lasty's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 3, 2013 4:20pm | Report
Bring back 'seperate but equal' if 70% are for it I say!
Pølsemanden
<Member>
Pølsemanden's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 3, 2013 5:56pm | Report
i say everyone higher than platinum 3 should be banned from the tourney *nods*

Non sarcastic part:
Honestly, if we are to define amateur, it'd mean not making enough money from to make a living. >half the challenger tier players aren't making a living from playing league of legends.

I do see the problem with challenger tier players joining tournaments just for teh nice prices. I think the problem should be solved through singular elimination, if a team is obviously competing just for the prices in an obvious way(captain korea's team as an example) they should be banned for 3-4 tourneys.

But pølse... Wouldn't that be very individual and *gosh* subjective cases the all-mighty mods would have at hand? Yes, yes it would - but i have faith in the mods. I believe that they have enough balls(mowen excluded) and intellect to individually ban obvious abuse.

Making overall rules is nice, and also the preffered way to deal with problems, but it es hard and very vague compared to firmly ban out singular teams.
Ty MM and Blood for the sigs :3 | Rammus is comming back - heard it here first!

"Carrying"-guide | My reviewservice
Bioalchemist
<Editor>
Bioalchemist's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 3, 2013 6:32pm | Report
lifebaka wrote:

No, creating those requirements is actually really easy. A dozen posts or a guide creation/update in the month before the tournament for EUW tournaments (which are happening at the start of the month) or in the current month for NA tournaments (which are happening towards the end of the month) ensures reasonable and continuing activity and is easy to test for.

I was suggesting the following:

how do you determine what the minimum number of posts should be?

how do you determine if those posts were relevant and contributing to the mobafire community or just spammed **** over time? (such as a member who goes to every guide and says 'good build' or 'bad build'...there is such a member btw)

meh whatever....for now regardless of how those questions are answered the post minimum is the best way to ensure that the community is involved over random people who want to make a buck. i can't think of any other way.

I do think you should include people that are involved in the inhouses too...as not all of those people contribute through posting....but they do contribute to the community.

Thanks to Hogopogo for my signature!

C4 Lasty
<Member>
C4 Lasty's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 3, 2013 6:40pm | Report
Just make it a team post count and ban challengers. Some D1 team will search for a really active kid w/out a team and slap them on the support role and still roll the tournament, but at least then I can direct my fury towards the 'sell-out'.
throatslasher
<Member>
throatslasher's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 3, 2013 6:40pm | Report
There should be no post requirements if your team averages gold elo or below.
BOW DOWNBOW DOWN

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide