Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

MOBAFire Tournaments

Creator: Mowen May 2, 2013 6:58pm
How do you feel about dividing tournaments based on tier?
C4 Lasty
<Member>
C4 Lasty's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 3, 2013 1:26pm | Report
For several tournaments in a row you've let challenger kids in, they've won the tournaments and contributed nothing.
Arcana3
<Altruistic Artist>
Arcana3's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 3, 2013 2:22pm | Report
I've participated in many different type of tournies over the yeras of my gaming expierence. When I was an avid SC2 player, I was Diamond rank for a time being, until i started to fine LoL more attractive and decided to move to it. WIth this point I would like to point out some many big details from reading the first 7 pages,

- By Splitting they system into B/S/G or/and P/D/C, you divide the skill level of the teams. But why would you do this? Simple becuase everyone wants to get that prize money, That prize money is what MAKES people join. So why are these HIGH level teams joining this easy pub tourney? Becuase the money is so good that they are actually caring. Platnium and lower teams are usually playing for practice and are thinking they can obtain this money; vise versa, getting back on track. Have the prize pot heavier in the Upper divisions, where they will WANT to join. and not smurf in the lower division. Give the lower division a smaller pot for example if you had 20 dollars give the upper 15 and the latter 5. This way the lower division will have to play against the lower level players, but if they win they still get some of that money, and the higher leveled players get what they came for. Money. Tl;DR? Read Bellow
- My comment above is slightly more confusing but to put it simply, money is what makes people join these tournies, have the lower leveled players have a smaller pot and have the higher level players have most of the pot. Example, 20 bucks give 15 to the higher 5 to the lower.

- I think they should divide the skill level, in SC2 you never see a bronze level player play against a master level player in a tourney. It just doesnt make sense unless the lower level player is practicing or is ambitious enough to play against that level of player.

- split it up EVEN MORE. Have B S/G, P/D and C. LETS BE HONEST, they skill level between bronze and sliver is pretty imesne, Sliver 1 players can paly against gold playres, pretty easily, making that skill gap smaller. If you want me to explain there is plenty of proof. Or if you feel that unfair here, Bronze 5 - Sliver 3, Sliver 2 - Gold 3, Gold 2 - Diamond 1, Challengerrrrr.

To put it bluntly tournies run on money, and the reason moba is getting all these high level players cuase the prizes they are offering are pretty decent, making these players join. Because of this the prize pot needs to be split. Read above^ But thats my 2 cents.
Thanks to everyone that has made me a sig!

Lacorpse JhoiJhoi Missmaw Xiron Xiao Kat CM Nameless Tinystar Me

Feel Free to +rep if I helped you out
jinlee
<Member>
jinlee's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 3, 2013 2:28pm | Report
theres several posts saying that challengers are technically amateurs or pros. but wouldnt they technically be semi pro, and therefore belong in a different division. im not for excluding people but mobafire is a site aimed for making a community, and is there even a single challenge that posts anything. this is a community tournament. the whole idea is for the mobafire community come together and kill each other, not some place for people who want nothing to do with a community and just want some practice and cash

all credit for this amazing sig goes to the nameless bard

if you thought what i said was worth it a rep would be rainbow pony awesome
throatslasher
<Member>
throatslasher's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 3, 2013 2:40pm | Report
Arcana3 wrote:

To put it bluntly tournies run on money, and the reason moba is getting all these high level players cuase the prizes they are offering are pretty decent, making these players join. Because of this the prize pot needs to be split. Read above^ But thats my 2 cents.

Foolish. I've offered my viewpoint on why splitting the tourney is a BAD IDEA and why excluding challenger and diamond players that don't participate in the community is a GOOD IDEA. Go back and read my responses more thoroughly. Splitting tournament into like 3-4 tourneys would take a ****load of oversight and work for little to no payoff. If I wanted to play against challenger kids, I'd play in zeke's and go4lols, which I do. I played in mobacup to play against my FELLOW MOBA PLAYERS. I didn't recognize a single person I played against in the 4 games I played, which is a shame.

In my fantasy it would have been my team vs sonata's team in the grand finals. Woulda been an epic match.
BOW DOWNBOW DOWN
MyRepublic
<Member>
MyRepublic's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 3, 2013 2:41pm | Report
Having read through the counter arguments I can see I clearly did not think fully through this. I agree that the tournie should not be split, but I think you absolutely need to have a minimum post limit before you're allowed to join of around 100. I think that is the best way to go about things. If not then make two tournies, but make one have no prize. It'll only let in people plat and down. The other tournie will let in anyone no matter what rank, and will have the prize for the winners.

I can't see any way of doing it as being fair to all levels of play that isn't what throat, lasty, and mooninites have been saying.

Thank you Miss Maw, CasterMaster and Arcana3 for the sweet sigs. I'd definitely recommend you to anyone looking for a nice sig.

"But we are stronger creatures than babies, why cant we hunt them?"- Meiyjhe
IceCreamy
<Veteran>
IceCreamy's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 3, 2013 2:48pm | Report
@throat: stop trying to grow your epeen, compliments will come your way if you earn them. If not, work even harder. If still not, it's time to look for a different place. Tbh most of your ideas are good, but that doesn't make you some dictator who can go on and insult every single admin on this site. I feel like you need to be reminded this site wouldn't even exist without their dedication and hard work. Behaving properly is the least you can do to return the favor.

@all: Some people have been shouting really loud, saying how this is a terrible **** idea and stuff (I myself maybe included here, if so I apologize). You should consider that this will discourage people who think this is a good idea from posting. Just check the score compared to the posts; about 70 % of people who voted think this is a good idea, while 90 % of the posts say that this idea sucks. A discussion doesn't only go one way.

Right, with all this out the way, let's keep DISCUSSING about this idea.
I'm just going to sum it up, for some Clarity.

Ideas for making sure actual MOBAFire players play, and not some random diamonds looking to faceroll:

Ideas to improve the tournaments:

Let me know if I've missed anything.

DuffTime wrote:
ok ok plz carry me omg
i was only waiting for you to ask

Temzilla wrote:
Too hot to be icecream.

Luther3000 wrote:
He looks like a hair gel advert on legs

Toshabi wrote:
Icecreamy, with hair as slick and smooth as the ocean waves of Cocobana
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 3, 2013 2:53pm | Report
Okay, so I only read up to page 6 because I have to go to Warwick soon.

My take on it is this:

Any participating team MUST have between them X amount of posts and have been a REGISTERED MEMBER of MobaFire for X amount of months.

This removes every single team who are only in it for the prizes. If this is a COMMUNITY cup, it should be dedicated MobaFire members, not some random kids off the street.

Personally, I wouldn't CARE if I was beaten by Max (Throat), because he's a MobaFire regular. Or anyone else of relatively high elo who actually contribute to this site. But being beaten by some Challenger player who has 0 posts on MobaFire and joined 2 days ago - that would piss me off.

Be back later, keep the conversation going.
guide writing tips 'n tricksashes to ashesfancy a sig?

♡ sig by Jovy ♡
throatslasher
<Member>
throatslasher's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 3, 2013 3:00pm | Report
Ice, they don't run this website out of the goodness of their heart. This is a business, and mobafire is a product. They are PAID for all of this hard work. They are not saints, they are businessmen, and they suck *** at problem solving. You don't fix a problem by polling the masses. You fix it through logic, experimentation, feedback, and critical thinking.

If they smurf, it will be obvious. If they post spam, it will be noticed, and the posts can get deleted, they can be warned, or they can be BANNED from tournaments for fraud.

Maybe you just take it when you encounter a faulty product, but I speak up. When they overcook my steak, I send it back. When I get something from a vending machine and it is damaged or stale, I call them and get a voucher for product.
BOW DOWNBOW DOWN
TheBlueReaper
<Member>
TheBlueReaper's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 3, 2013 3:17pm | Report
I think the best solution for your problem would be the x amount of posts and etc. as jhoi,throat and a lot of others said.
Thanks to jhoijhoi , TinyStar , Minho, Hogopogo , TheNamelessBard and GMD for the sigs!
sirell
<Member>
sirell's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep May 3, 2013 3:22pm | Report
jhoijhoi wrote:

Okay, so I only read up to page 6 because I have to go to Warwick soon.

My take on it is this:

Any participating team MUST have between them X amount of posts and have been a REGISTERED MEMBER of MobaFire for X amount of months.

This removes every single team who are only in it for the prizes. If this is a COMMUNITY cup, it should be dedicated MobaFire members, not some random kids off the street.

Personally, I wouldn't CARE if I was beaten by Max (Throat), because he's a MobaFire regular. Or anyone else of relatively high elo who actually contribute to this site. But being beaten by some Challenger player who has 0 posts on MobaFire and joined 2 days ago - that would piss me off.

Be back later, keep the conversation going.

This sounds more like it.

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide