Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

"Duff" Style Guides

Creator: H4xDefender October 4, 2012 9:46pm
Would you read "ugly" guides that provide useful content?
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 6, 2012 5:10am | Report

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.”
-Lenoardo Da Vinci

You'd seriously quote Da Vinci for saying THAT of all things? You realise he created his own mirrored secret text so people couldn't read his work, in addition to creating puzzles and codes that most of us would not comprehend. Not even mentioning his tendency to cut up dead bodies and draw human organs in intricate detail.

Monotomy and non-simplicity is not the same thing. Something can be simple AND NOT BORING, and something can be simple and DEAD BORING. That was my point. I fell asleep whenever I happened to look in the direction of Duff's guides.

Same can be said about BBCoded guides that waffle on and on and on and on with no chance of reprieve.

A guide having no coding whatsoever is a sign of a person who can't be bothered learning a few neat tricks to make their content appealing. Liken it to someone who has the knowledge to make the best milkshake in the world, but it looks like mud. Someone else on his team makes it more attractive (adding food dye or something), and people will buy it.

It's still the same old mud milkshake, but it's far more approachable.

That's what coding does. It doesn't excuse bad guides. It doesn't make bad guides suddenly good. But it makes good guides even better.
guide writing tips 'n tricksashes to ashesfancy a sig?

♡ sig by thenamelessbard ♡
Pheyniex
<Member>
Pheyniex's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 6, 2012 5:15am | Report
jhoijhoi wrote:

You'd seriously quote Da Vinci for saying THAT of all things? You realise he created his own mirrored secret text so people couldn't read his work, in addition to creating puzzles and codes that most of us would not comprehend. Not even mentioning his tendency to cut up dead bodies and draw human organs in intricate detail.

he had to encrypt his findings, so he wouldnt be persecuted. also for an encryption, it's quie simple...

Sig made by elenah
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 6, 2012 5:19am | Report
Thought it smelt fishy. That's pretty much the only quote Da Vinci DIDN'T say.

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Leonardo_da_Vinci

♡ sig by Jovy ♡
Embracing
<Crowd Favorite>
Embracing's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 6, 2012 5:51am | Report
Much rather have a bad looking guide that has indepth info than a fancy guide with a bunch of beginner **** that only tells you the basics of the role of the champ.

anyways why not get people who cannot code to ask the people who can to co-write the guide?
jhoijhoi
<MOBAFire Mother>
jhoijhoi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 6, 2012 6:35am | Report
^Coz people would rather complain about guides with good coding, than learn coding themselves, or ask for help.

♡ sig by Tauricus2017 ♡
Syther Blade
<Member>
Syther Blade's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 6, 2012 6:38am | Report
I think i like the guides as long as the info is good. As long as they have coding like Ashe and Tiamat I think its k

Sigs By: Syther Blade (me), TheNamelessBard
Berzerk
<Member>
Berzerk's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 6, 2012 7:12am | Report
Quoted:

Much rather have a bad looking guide that has indepth info than a fancy guide with a bunch of beginner **** that only tells you the basics of the role of the champ.

^

Check out my complete guide to top lane here.
Check out my Jayce guide here.
RaNuD
<Member>
RaNuD's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 6, 2012 7:46am | Report
Just took a look at Duff's Olaf guide so I understand what you guys are saying. Soooo what's wrong with those guides? If I compare with say, Jhoijhoi's Morgana guide, there's a cruel lack of screenshots and stuff, I have to admit.
But honnestly, the milkshake comparison doesnt cut it in my opinion. The milk shake you make look better strictly looks better. Nothing else to say. When you make a guide "look better", you also make it visually heavier, whether you like it or not. Now okay, dont oppose there's nothing heavier than a wall of text, it doesnt apply to Duff's guides. They are well structured, he makes good use of paragraphs and sections.

As a web developper, I find Jhoijhoi's coding admirable, and I was amazed you could do that with BBCode. I still prefer Duff's simple presentation, even though I wouldnt try to find a DaVinci quote in order to back me up. That's still my feeling, and I guess it could be useful to know how many players think the way Jeffy40Hand and I do.

TL;DR The very few times I ever search for a guide, I want something as light and straightforward as possible so I can spend little time reading it while gathering as much important information as I can.
In a thread about his own ban,
gabpin wrote:
stfu I only did that : swearing and thats why i got ban are u ****** or something ?

In a thread about toxic players,
Go be a whiny baby elsewhere. Find and abuse the ignore button. No sense stinking up this forum with your crying.
MrCuddowls
<Member>
MrCuddowls's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 6, 2012 8:20am | Report
Off Topic: Rose why don't you ask matt to change your name to Embracing

On Topic: If the information is good then it's fine, but I would be A LOT less likely to read it and one that's exactly the same information but prettier. But this isn't always the case since I read all of solomid's guides and they usually look like **** :D
Still good information that helped a lot
Embracing
<Crowd Favorite>
Embracing's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 6, 2012 9:00am | Report
jhoijhoi wrote:

^Coz people would rather complain about guides with good coding, than learn coding themselves, or ask for help.

o_o really?

Well since we actually have an example of a co-written guide (throat + jhoi), why not promote the idea more?

We could probably ask Matt to implement a function in the guide editing section where you can appoint a fellow member to have editing privileges?

and @cuddowls : GOOD IDEA LOL

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide