Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

"Duff" Style Guides

Creator: H4xDefender October 4, 2012 9:46pm
1 2 3 4 5 6
Would you read "ugly" guides that provide useful content?
EvilDice
<Shoutcaster>
EvilDice's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 8, 2012 7:12am | Report
the only reason why people liked duffs guides is because they were by dufftime.

Thanks to Anal Samurai for the sig!

twitch.tv/dicetherice - @dicetherice
Diesel
<Veteran>
Diesel's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 8, 2012 8:14am | Report
EvilDice wrote:

the only reason why people liked duffs guides is because they were by dufftime.

+1
Zell
<Member>
Zell's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 8, 2012 8:53am | Report
Yeah, majority of Duff guides were just atrocious filled with misleading information and context that only provide use in solo queue (aka against morons). They tend to just have several builds of which consist to be complete garbage with joke items such as Madreds-Bloodrazer on a jungler with only one actual viable build.

His Trundle & Cho'gath guide along with many of his guides only reach such high rating due to his popularity, not substance of the guide itself. A main reoccurring issue of MobaFire guides. Only good guide of his I remember was the Olaf one.
Credit to Jeff and jhois for creating my signature and avatar design.
If I helped +Rep, if I didn't then +Rep the person who did.
JEFFY40HANDS
<Altruistic Artist>
JEFFY40HANDS's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 8, 2012 9:31am | Report

Duff's guides were awesome.

If you could match the quality and knowledge put into these, I wouldn't care how pretty the guide looks :)

His guides (while having some valuable content sprinkled throughout) were heavily opinionated and rather than provinding tested reasoning he said "i do this, it is the right way and the only way". I like duff as a person, and he is pretty damn good and is much better at lol than me(or was when i last played with him), but it doesnt translate into his guides. His personality is what got people to upvote his guides. Some of em are good..some of em are horrible. Lets leave it at that.
throatslasher
<Member>
throatslasher's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 8, 2012 12:27pm | Report

Some of em are MEDIOCRE..some of em are horrible. Lets leave it at that.

fix'd
BOW DOWNBOW DOWN
Vapora Dark
<Perfectionist>
Vapora Dark's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 8, 2012 2:09pm | Report
I love Duff's guides. They use little to no coding, but I don't find reading them boring at all, and I can't tear my eyes away from them once I start reading.

Some of his teachings I agree might be a little stupid, such as taking nothing but flat AD in your rune page as solo top Udyr, but most / all of his guides do what they're meant to do, which is teach you how to play the champion. I don't take 21 AD in my rune pages, but I can play a kick-*** Udyr. I don't go 0/29/1 on Olaf, I actually go 9/21/0, but I still play a kick-*** Olaf. I don't think Atma's Impaler is a viable pick on Tryndamere, but I can still play a kick-*** Tryndamere ( or could back when I played him, since then I've heard people say he's become unviable ). And all that is purely thanks to Duff's guides.

Guides are there to teach you how to play a champion, not to hold your hand while you play them. Duff's guides inspired me to play the champion and they got me good with the champion, I don't follow his build orders 100%, but it would be ******ed for me to say that his guides are **** or anything other than amazing, when they're purely the only reason I'm any good with Udyr, Tryndamere and Olaf.

That's something someone tried to replicate with their Talon guide ( although he succumbed to using BBCode because he doesn't have Duff's charm :P ). He'd usually build Mercury's Treads Bloodthirster Last Whisper Guardian Angel Infinity Edge Bloodthirster, or something in that fashion. But seeing as his guide is there to teach people how to play Talon, not just hold them by the hand while they do it, the build he shows in the cheatsheet is Mercury's Treads Bloodthirster Bloodthirster Last Whisper Bloodthirster Bloodthirster. They can figure out for themselves what the "perfect" build would be, but for learning how to play Talon and discovering on their own how to build him it's perfect. It's not like they're going to read the guide and directly jump into 2k elo ranked games with it.

tl;dr A GUIDE IS A GUIDE, NOT A SET OF INSTRUCTIONS YOU FOLLOW TO THE CORE. DUFF'S GUIDES ARE AMAZING BECAUSE HE'S ABLE TO KEEP MOST PEOPLE'S EYES GLUED TO THE GUIDES EVEN THOUGH THERE'S NOTHING THERE THAT MAKES THEM AESTHETICALLY PLEASING, AND EVEN THOUGH SOME OF THE INFORMATION IN THEM IS STUPID, 21 AD RUNE PAGE UDYR TEACHES YOU HOW WELL TIGER STANCE SCALES ON AD AND MAKES SURE YOU KNOW HOW IMPORTANT AD IS ON HIM.

P.S. Does referencing my own guide but referring to it as someone else's guide to try and help prove a point still count as self-advertisement? ... Not that I did that at any point in my post. Just curious, y'know? :P

Edit: How rude. >:(

Vapora Dark
<Perfectionist>
Vapora Dark's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 8, 2012 2:24pm | Report
By the way, I've always wondered, why was Duff never a veteran? The guy has 642 rep but has never made it past anything other than "Member" for some reason.
throatslasher
<Member>
throatslasher's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 8, 2012 8:59pm | Report
Who cares. I read duff's guides, see 29 in defense, and instantly disregard it. If he can't get something as basic as the masteries right, why read on. I appreciate that you read his udyr guide, and then did nothing he said to do, and now you're a good udyr. That means you're a good udyr IN SPITE of his guides.

Grats they're entertaining. I don't find misinformation amusing in the slightest.

This is what I'd do to duff's guide and 90% of all other featured guides

BOW DOWNBOW DOWN
xIchi
<Member>
xIchi's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep October 10, 2012 6:46pm | Report
Well I am for the ''ugly'' guides but have to agree that Dufftime guides were rather useless.

I remember my first time I visited mobafire.com. The top rated guides were mostly by a guy named HeaT, his guide were as long as Vapora Dark's post. But I learned much from that short wall of text.

Now guides on mobafire need to:
1. be appealing by outter appearance (well that is needed to seem more serious)
2. cover everye part of play, even warding or other basic things, I mean why the **** do we have 'basic knowledge'-guides like 'Who is your Jungler' etc..

kinda annoying :<
1 2 3 4 5 6

You need to log in before commenting.

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide