Click to open network menu
Join or Log In
Mobafire logo

Join the leading League of Legends community. Create and share Champion Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

's Forum Avatar

Reddit's View on MOBAFire

Creator: Embracing December 30, 2012 8:26pm

This thread is locked

PLEASE NOTE: This thread has been locked by the moderators. You cannot reply to it.

Mooninites
<Member>
Mooninites's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 1, 2013 10:31am | Report
Crows foot wrote:

I say we can get quite a bit more elitistic without becoming douches... try to open your mind moonboy!

well, that's what lolpro tried to do and they failed miserably.

How about you open your mind to what's at stake or at the very least use some common sense.

Mobafire is a company worth nearly $9 million

Contrary, Solomid is worth about $3 million. Lolpro is worth about $783,000

Mobafire is worth more than double what solomid and lolpro are worth combined. You think that's an accident?

If we make mobafire more elitist and more restricting, then we restrict the amount of people who have access to the continent as well. From a business standpoint, that's a pretty poor decision

http://www.worthofweb.com/website-value/mobafire

Thanks for the Signature MissMaw!
Pheyniex
<Member>
Pheyniex's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 1, 2013 10:42am | Report
i never trusted those measurements but you have an argument (admiting the information is true)

however, i still feel you only see the edges, not a compromise.

Sig made by elenah
Mooninites
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 1, 2013 10:45am | Report
Pheyniex wrote:

i never trusted those measurements but you have an argument (admiting the information is true)

You're right, they're not 100% accurate. And probably since it's the end of a quarter we will get another report of how much each is worth that will be more accurate. That said they are rough estimations, and even if they get it wrong. a $5 million gap between solomid and lolpro combined vs. mobafire is so substantial I don't think it would really matter that much
Crows foot
<Member>
Crows foot's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 1, 2013 11:01am | Report
If this is a matter of business I will not argue. But no posts before you has even hinted at this!
If you for some reason want to follow my ranked journey to gold, you can do it Here.

I am against asking for rep, only rep me if you think I contributed well or said something wise.
Mooninites
<Member>
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 1, 2013 11:16am | Report
Crows foot wrote:

If this is a matter of business I will not argue. But no posts before you has even hinted at this!

although i didn't include it my previous posts, one of my points that I was trying to make is that what makes mobafire appealing to people is the fact that they can come on here and write a guide and get feedback that they wouldn't necessarily get on a site like solomid or lolpro. I'm not here to argue about the differences between the sites, Mobafire is geared more towards the average player and solomid/lolpro are geared more towards 'pro-level' play. If we were to appoint a panel to approve certain guides then it would be in contrast to mobafire's niche.

I don't think anyone's arguing that we shouldn't strive to improve the quality of guides on this site, but what Mowen and Jebus are trying to say is we can do that without having to appoint a council or whatever for it
Nighthawk
<Veteran>
Nighthawk's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 1, 2013 12:07pm | Report
DillButt64 wrote:

your point that is apparently a pro to you is that they only really have guides for champions that are used all the time, but none for champions that arnt

It's actually not a pro for me, I'm just saying that it can arguably be seen as a pro. That is exactly what I'm saying, that popular champions get updated guides, and unpopular champions don't. In a sense this also helps new players because they are encouraged to play more viable champions rather then someone like Yi. While I myself prefer Mobafire because there are guides like AD Jungle Sion out there by a competent player who I can trust, Solomid can be appealing as well.

I like Percy's idea about separating categories, although I also think an increased vote is something that would really help out without taking away the 'democracy' of Mobafire.

Foo18
<Member>
Foo18's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 1, 2013 12:18pm | Report
I really think the top ten system should be removed.

I was going to make a few guides here, but I realize.

"Well, they aren't going to get any views, because they won't start at the top 10."

The only way you can find non top 10 guides is by going to the "newest guides" part, but people pretty much only look up a specific champ.
__________________________________Ignorance is not bliss. Ignorance of your ignorance is bliss._________________________________
DemonSovereign
<Member>
DemonSovereign's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 1, 2013 12:51pm | Report
Foo18 wrote:

I really think the top ten system should be removed.

I was going to make a few guides here, but I realize.

"Well, they aren't going to get any views, because they won't start at the top 10."

The only way you can find non top 10 guides is by going to the "newest guides" part, but people pretty much only look up a specific champ.

Well I'm not really sure about the top 10 removal, seems like a good idea though. Just make it so that whenever someone searches a champ, they are redirected to the champion's page where all the guides are instead of just the top 10.

As for getting your guide read, just place a link in your sig, ask people for reviews via PMs & review shops, etc.
My first self made sig ^_^
Care to check out my Mordekaiser guide? I'd appreciate it :D
Dark Metallica-Rocking With Mordekaiser
FalseoGod
<Veteran>
FalseoGod's Forum Avatar
Show more awards
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 1, 2013 12:57pm | Report
There are many tools that allow you to reach the top 10. Also, most top 10 guides have really low % guides at the bottom, 2 upvotes get you there.
Thank you Byron for 2014's loudest laugh up till today
Foo18
<Member>
Foo18's Forum Avatar
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep January 1, 2013 1:08pm | Report

Well I'm not really sure about the top 10 removal, seems like a good idea though. Just make it so that whenever someone searches a champ, they are redirected to the champion's page where all the guides are instead of just the top 10.

As for getting your guide read, just place a link in your sig, ask people for reviews via PMs & review shops, etc.

I suppose putting in your sig helps, but that will only help you GET to the top ten, but you won't get views from the people who actually are looking for a guide for that champ on the top then. And even then, people one click on the first one, or MAYBE the second. Looked at Morgana guides, and this is how it goes.

1. 1143 votes, 5.6 mil views
2. 616 votes, just under 2 mil views
3. 11 votes, 49k views
4. 5 votes, 12k views

Vlad:

1. 1044 votes, 47 mil views
2. 57 votes, 1.5 mil views

I just hate the "rich get richer" system on this fight. I think the system should be made like the ones on solo mid, save for getting a free front page for being high elo.

Have the mods approve guides that are high enough quality, then list them from which was most recently updated, and list how many upvotes and downvotes there are. That way, you don't get more views just for having more views.

And to be clear, I'll say this again. I don't want the "featured" thing here, just "approved." I don't want high elo players get featured regardless of how good it is.

But this system is hardly even "top 10" it's more like "top 1 and maybe 2"
__________________________________Ignorance is not bliss. Ignorance of your ignorance is bliss._________________________________

League of Legends Champions:

Teamfight Tactics Guide